Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

How Would You Review Historic 'Mounting Blocks'? (Horseback Related)

AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wikipedia article about them:

There are several in the village, going down the hill leading to the the inn/pub in the village. Since a stream runs alongside the pub, one can assume the horses drank from the stream whilst the humans went into the pub. Mounting blocks would be used by the infirm or particularly women (in order to maintain modesty in those days). Google Street View of the area, with several mounting blocks on both sides of the road:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2417628,0.5180508,3a,35.2y,49.9h,83.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6JTJ-WabWvoWClHKF0Z-vw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I have walked past these a lot and thought it was odd that there were these random stones sticking out of the pavement/road. I never knew they had a purpose until yesterday when somebody told me. It could be hard to convince reviewers these are anything more than mere rocks since even though they look out of the ordinary I also thought they were just plain old rocks (how naive of me)!

Answers

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a few remaining in and around my downtown, as well as some similarly-aged hitching posts. Unfortunately for me ALL are directly in front of PRP and thus ineligible.

Otherwise they would, here, qualify. (Manmade, historic, etc) Just be sure yours don’t violate PRP either.

• AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Correction, the stones up/down the hill were used to help houses along the hill whereas they actual mounting stones are by the pub. Been told the are outside the parish Church. The village war memorial, pub and parish Church are all already Wayspots therefore it doesn't look like there is room for them in the game.

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me it all depends on context and individual importance etc

Old and useful in the past yes, but that doesnt exactly qualify it for being interesting or worthwhile.

If there was a good description, history behind it and a convincing support statement I may give it 3* or more, but a random mounting block on its own is a meh candidate at best.