Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Would a castle be considered prp

It seems like an obvious question it's a castle, of course not, but theres a castle near me, that has a single family living in it, that's why I ask

https://www.blipfoto.com/entry/2240664#:~:text=Dating%20back%20to%20around%201820,surrounded%20by%20local%20authority%20houses.

Best Answer

Answers

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

Potentially if the castle is open to the public in some way it could be eligible if its part business/part home. Otherwise no, it isn't eligible.

• Perringaiden-INGPerringaiden-ING Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

This is incorrect.

Even if it's open 365 days a year as a tourist attraction, if it also serves as a private residence, it is ineligible. See the notes on Historic Houses in the criteria.

"Regardless of historical value, if a real-world location is being used as a private residence, it is ineligible."

edited August 2020

I don't think I am incorrect, certainly not for the UK. We have many historical buildings that are part private home and part open to the public. The areas that are open to the public can have eligible waypoints.

Edit: I'll give an example... Blenheim Palace (birthplace of Winston Churchill) is open to the public year round for tours and other events. But it is also the main residence for a family. There are many waypoints there in the palace and grounds. It is an enormous structure, a world heritage site, and an events centre as well as a home. This is the sort of example where I'd say it's fine to accept waypoints here. I would also repeat that a private castle that doesn't open to the public is something I would consider PRP no matter how historically important it is.

Post edited by FrealafGB-PGO on
  • Perringaiden-INGPerringaiden-ING Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

Blenheim Palace has a clearly distinct part for the family residence, and for the public areas. And is large enough to justify independent evaluations.

The standard response for a historical building used as a home is that it is invalid. A construction large enough to have separate parts for the residence and the public areas, would be fair enough, because Agents and Trainers would not be attempting to enter the private areas of the building to capture something.

Note Blenheim Palace is hardly a "castle" either. 🤣

Blenheim was the one that came to mind when thinking of places that are historically important, awesome architecture, open to the public, but also have a family living there. We visited it last year.

I guess when I hear castle I'm thinking of something quite large and probably open to the public but I'm sure there are several that are privately owned and considered a normal family home, and of course they wouldn't be eligible.