Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Spelling, grammar, and capitalization

When the title or description contains obvious errors, should you reject the wayspot, as a whole, under “title/description? Or... Do you accept or reject the waypoint based on merit and give 1-star to title/description.

I am still pretty new here and, honestly, am not even sure how the individual ratings affect the overall acceptance rating. If it’s a 5-star waypoint, based on meeting criteria, but a 1-star title, what does that do to the acceptance/rejection of the waypoint as a whole?

Answers

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I generally don't knock off any stars for simple mistakes. However, if there are a lot of noticeable mistakes, I would take a star or two off and only give 1-star if the description is unreadable.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to be lenient as, let's be honest, typing on phones arent easy and autocorrect doesnt actually work on pogo submissions. It's a lot easier to accept then get it edited than it is got people to go out and submit again. I know people complain about edits clogging up the system but a resubmit clogs up just the same

• liquorlord-INGliquorlord-ING Posts: 6 ✭✭

When it's really bad I give it one star. But I take points off because it's tacky for the Niantic database/game to be filled with trashy titles.

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Just give it lower rating in Title and Description section.

If somehow they went live, you can request title/description edit in-game, though.

• Dazzz123456-PGODazzz123456-PGO Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

Think it's a bit harsh to penalise people who may be dyslexic. I'm sure niantic if asked niantic wouldn't want to discriminate and punish those who genuinely cant spell it would potentially lead to lawsuits.

• Ghannima-PGOGhannima-PGO Posts: 8 ✭✭

Aren't serious grammar/spelling errors enough to reject the nomination?

If badly framedor focused picture is a reason for reject, then grammar and spelling is way more serious reason. Those spots are supposed to have historical/cultural/educational value and the games are available for kids.

There is no timer while submitting a wayspot and a title and description aren't 10-page essays. It takes minimal effort to check your spelling, even when you're dislexic.

5* - creative title and well written description providing some educational /historical info or funny creative message

4* - generic title (like "Playground" or "outdoor gym") with decent description (not re-pasted title)

3* - minor spelling mistake like capitalization but aside of that good job

2* - very generic, dull title/description or one-two minor spelling mistakes

1* - both of the latter

Reject - serious grammar error or or multiple minor spelling mistakes like careless capitalization and multiple typos

• grsmhiker-INGgrsmhiker-ING Posts: 176 ✭✭✭✭

IMO that scale seems a bit harsh, especially docking stars for "dull description." I almost never penalize for description unless the text is just plain wrong: abusive, irrelevant, mentions a player by name, etc. Nothing in the guidance says we have to write a lengthy, creative description. Almost nobody reads them anyway...

I was going to post my scale but it ended up being almost exactly identical to the one @GearGlider-ING posted on June 19.

• AgentX1976-INGAgentX1976-ING Posts: 598 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very rarely should you 1 star a title. Unless it's so bad it's unreadable. I take a star off for a few errors but very rarely have I done more.

I did have to 1* one that it seems like they put the title and description in the title box. It was super long.

There are many funny and really creative titles and descriptions in nominations of regular objects like a playground. They are perfect and deserve the highest rating.

When something is fine but not the best it deserves 4*. I think that's why there is a 5-star scale, not a binary 0/1 system.

• grsmhiker-INGgrsmhiker-ING Posts: 176 ✭✭✭✭

This, right here, is why we have perfectly fine playground nominations getting rejected. If we start docking stars because the title is not creative or the description is not long enough, then say someone docks stars for cultural significance, and takes off a star or two because the location is in the mulch and not centered on the slide, those add up and can tip the nomination over into a reject. If the title is accurate and the description not misleading or off topic, just give 5* for the name category and move on. Most of my descriptions are just "play equipment for young kids" or "playground in a City, State park" and I don't see why any more than that should be required.

4* for the title/description is hardly the reason for reject when everything else is fine with the nomination.

Again, it's a 1-5 scale, not a 0-1 system, for a reason.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just like photos, you should only reject if the title/description is useless (unreadable or plain wrong) or directly breaks the rules (mentioning Niantic games, player names, abusive, etc).

Nominating wayspots isn't a photography or creative writing course. You shouldn't need to hand in some extraordinary work to get maximum stars.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as I know, 2☆ is a "reject" mark. (I could be wrong, though.) And you wrote that you give 2☆ for very generic or dull titles.

So yeah, you're advocating for rejecting most "dull" playground nominations.

• Skywalkered-PGOSkywalkered-PGO Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Sounds like I've been a little harsh then. 3* is what I've been giving for an acceptable Title & Description, bumping it it up to 4* or 5 if it's particularly good, and 1/2 if it goes in the other direction.

I should probably start making 4* my "acceptable" now.