Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Drawings on light pole are valid spot?

Lately a lot of people are requesting things like this on their light pole, are these valid or not? Problably it's people who wanted a pokestop on their houses. Some of the drawing are not bad, but some of then it's impossible to considerate. I put some examples below but i've seen a lot oh this.

Answers

• grsmhiker-INGgrsmhiker-ING Posts: 176 ✭✭✭✭

The craftsmanship on those examples is horrible, such that I'd suspect they are temporary or maybe even were thrown up by someone wanting a wayspot. Looks looks something a child would draw. If one of the nominations were a skillfully done, permanent mural, I'd consider a better rating.

• FeehDelRey-PGOFeehDelRey-PGO Posts: 6 ✭✭

Yeah right? And 3 of those was already approved, that's why I was confused do

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately a lot of questionable/invalid things get approved. I would not rate those very highly at all. Like the other person said, if they were well done and didn't look half arsed I'd rate them higher. But those are very poorly done.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

That bottom one is quite good. But irregardless of quality, if they can be proven to be either allowed by the council or some other organisation or can be proven to be permanent, then they would be allowed, if they cant be proven then reject

• Jeroenix-INGJeroenix-ING Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

Agree on the reject advice. They are scribblings at best, and not even original. Anyone can re-draw things like that on walls, poles and floors with or without stencil, it doesn't make them a POI in my opinion. Also, I'm not convinced they won't wash off when the rain hits, or when city cleaners come scrape them off.

This one was aproved, I can't belive it!!!!

• JimboMX-INGJimboMX-ING Posts: 8 ✭✭

In some countries, this is not "street art", this is VANDALISM. Poles are either owned by municipality or by private sector (energy/phone/cable) and this is considered "damage to infrastructure". And it can be sanctioned by authorities with a fine or an arrest.

Does @Niantic really wants to promote going against local laws? I dont think so...

I could also argue that all these characters are copyrighted...

• JuscoHyper-PGOJuscoHyper-PGO Posts: 5 ✭✭

It's hard to believe that those were accepted when my wasn't...

• PoMaQue-PGOPoMaQue-PGO Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭

And stuff like this is being promoted on Facebook.

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to me like a beam in his own house/garage?

You have no idea how many of these are being requested lately. It seems like everyone decided to paint the pole in front of their houses to have a pokestop.

• Jeroenix-INGJeroenix-ING Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

If they're actively promoted in social media, complete with instructions on how to 'get your own pokestop', these could soon be all over the world.

@NianticCasey-ING Could Wayfarer team look into this? At least, can we report these as invalid? I'm worried they'll become a plague...

And more keep coming up, being massively submitted (and approved), just because of the link to Pokémon.

I'm a Pokémon Go player, but I find all of these ... garbage. 1* Temporary all the way, vandalism etc

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

These types of nominations are becoming more prominent in Australia too, always a drawing of a Pokemon or multiple Pokemon. Painted on light poles, fire hydrants, utility boxes, etc.

Can we just get a blanket ban on any unsanctioned Pokemon Go or Ingress related artwork?

I can appreciate artwork if it's done well, 99% of these are not. Plus it's clear the intention is to game the system to create a Pokestop/Gym.

Also trees, there have been way too many trees submitted outside people's homes too. Easy rejection, just annoying how this worthless stuff floods the queue :(

The issue with Pokémon Go related stuff is that Pokémon existed way before and has a bigger cultural impact.

So you might still find eligible stuff related to Pokémon, which weren't created specifically for PoGo nominations.

While it would be nice for Niantic to send out a message saying "just stop already", doubtful these players will listen (just look at the rampant abuse already happening).

All these things should be rejected for Termporary reason, as there is no way this paint will last. But as soon as 1 gets into the game, Niantic will never remove it...