Are mural paintings that represent areas not accepted and I never heard about it?

Comments

• Faversham71-PGOFaversham71-PGO Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's a real stretch to describe that as a mural

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like "Temporary Gafittii" to me. I would rate it very low.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't meet the standard of "cool pieces of art". Also, graffitti tags (which this falls more into than mural) are not eligible do to their general lack of artistic merit and temporariness.

• Euthanasio2-PGOEuthanasio2-PGO Posts: 272 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

It's not temporary, it's litterally permanent and I can give you the adress if you want to validate in real life. I can accept people who think it might not meet criteria, but making up false reasons like "it's not permanent' is not good.

edited August 2020

This is not a "graffiti tag" this is a permanent wall made in honor of the St-Charles river made and signed by the artist bird². It is NOT TEMPORARY. If you think it do not fit criteria fine, but stop making up false reasons to reject it. It's not a generic tag. It's the NAME OF THE RIVER and it's PERMANENT AND HAS BEEN THERE FOR YEARS. I actually read the part about street art. I would have never ever submitted a random graffiti tag like the one submitted in the example Niantic gave.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

In your other thread https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/6489/can-someone-clarify-why-this-was-rejected#latest you wrote

You could litterally see it on Satellite views.

This is under a bridge. It's impossible to see it in satellite view.

You are asking for a reason, people tell you what they think by seeing the photo and you start yelling (caps) like if they are the ones that rejected your nomination.

People around here can only tell you what they think and you can try to listen and learn in order to improve your nomination (or forget about it), or you can start arguing trying to change the minds of people that won't vote your nomination. One path might lead to an approved nomination, the other one hardly will get any positive outcome.

There was a photosphere. I was referencing the river that could be confirmed on Satellite views(as in confirmation that it was made in honor of the river). People could easily see that it exists. Rejecting this for not being permanent is just a false and made up rejection reason. I can understand why it might have been mistaken for a generic tag though, but I explained in the additional information part why it was made. But the fact remain. It is permanent, facts are not opinions.

• Faversham71-PGOFaversham71-PGO Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at it from a reviewer's perspective - it's an unexciting spray painted name, in an underpass that's clearly been a popular graffiti spot for many years. It doesn't look like a permanent mural and you've provided no evidence to indicate it is. Can you find a web link to an article about when and why it was commissioned? Try local papers web sites, or if as you say he's a known local artist maybe there will be something on their web site. It may still fail on it not exactly being 'a cool piece of art', but it's about the only chance of getting it passed.

• Raachermannl-INGRaachermannl-ING Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

The big problem for you is that the reviewers see that there was another graffiti under it, there is still the upper half of it....

So it‘s very likely that this will happen to this graffiti writing too.

Due to this and the fact that writing something in different colours and with a little shadow effect is very easy and so there is not enough skill involved to call this art from a objective point of view.

I think its impossible for you to disprove all of this concerns only with the help of the things you can present in your submission....

the only solution I see is mass submitting this one and hoping to get dozens of reviewer m0r0ns on a single try, that wave this through... but this would be wasted submission slots in my opiniom

• TorvoTeratos-PGOTorvoTeratos-PGO Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

Since you requested the other thread be deleted, I'll just re-add my comment here:

Eh, I think that's a stretch to grant it mural status. It's just the painted on name of a river in different colors. There's not actually a whole lot of artistic talent on display there. I could easily do something like this, and I'm no artist. It's basically just looks like a graffiti name sign for the river, which doesn't seem very permanent. The angle also makes for a less-than-ideal photo (though I'm guessing you had to do that to get the whole name in the photo).

I don't think there's anything you can do to improve this nomination, tbh. I think you're better off moving on and trying something different. Sorry! I know it's frustrating when you want a stop in an area, but that's just not how this works. I would love a stop at my work, but my work is just not interesting. It would never be described as a hotspot or local gem. Tourists wouldn't be interested in it. So even though I could submit it as a business - even argue that it's a family business and has been for 25 years - I don't because it's just not valid. As submitters, our job is to submit valid POIs. Not submit places we want waypoints at and try to convince people they could be POIs. And as reviewers, our job is to review based on Niantec's criteria. Not our own personal wants or needs.

i probably won't try it again, but it is permanent and I wish people would stop making that lie. It's just a lie that it's not permanent and your example is clearly stated to be against Niantic's guide while mine could have been considered. Anyway there is a footbridge on the other side and I tried it and it was refused because it apparently didn't exist according to reviewers. But you are right that even though it was requested by the city to do that, it's very likely to be confused as a temporary graffiti(which again is not the case as it has been there for years). I just thought it was nice to havr the name of the river painted on the wall. Anyway now that I have a photosphere, I may try again the footbridge on the other side. I feel like some people just may have thought the footbridge didn't exist since we just didn't see them on the map.

It's not permanent because somebody could come along tomorrow and paint over it.

edited August 2020

Well. Someone could do that even on the most amazing art pieces so...Anyway. there is a footbridge not used yet as the same spot. I just felt like the path was redundant since it was tons of footbridges.

Ok - perhaps I should expand on this:

Temporary - grafitti or artwork someone could come along an paint over tomorrow, that's the end of it.

Permanent - some "Official" mural or artwork that would be repaired or repainted if it were painted over.

• Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

"But you are right that even though [b]it was requested by the city[/] to do that"

This is about the only angle I could think working for your candidate. Something like, "La Riviere St-Charles mural, commissioned by city council. Painted by name-x, 201x."

Requires a link (in the support text) to local newspsper item or easily found web page to be believable of course.

ps. I wouldn't upgrade this kind of nomination.

• TwoSkunks-PGOTwoSkunks-PGO Posts: 28 ✭✭

There is obviously a lot of foot traffic under this bridge, so I could see someone commissioning a piece of art. But is seems like a commissioned piece of art would have been done better as far as covering/repairing the background. The name of the river does not look so old. While there would not be much damage from sunlight, there is water enough for the rebar above the art work to rust and delaminate the concrete, yet no water damage shows on the art. This bridge should be maintained/repaired soon; if for no other reason, this art work is temporary.