Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Town names in portal names

I've had a few cases where I had to pick the best name:

'Roeselare - Post office' vs 'Post office'.

Is there guidelines or 'best practice' as to how to decide these? I don't recall seeing it in guidelines or AMA's.

Answers

• SoulKing95-PGOSoulKing95-PGO Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

As long the title and description still accurate, I see no problem in adding information such as town name, or perhaps street/area name the post office represents (some city have several post office, better differentiate it based on their area)

• gazzas89-INGgazzas89-ING Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

Why would it be just "post office", at least the name of street/city covers where it is rather than generic posts office

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be better to use "Post Office " + location as the titles are usually cropped and you end up with a huge list of "Location " + few letters

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps yes, but. This is a very anti-Ingress thing to do. We need to do "inventory management", sorting a long list of items by name where everything is named after the SAME thing and then truncated? It becomes very onerous, very fast.

It's JUST as "more accurate" to name it "Post Office in City", and then that fixes my problem too.

I may be slightly more sensitive to this issue, as my own city has one "proper" name, plus a very common nickname, plus a very common mis-spelling, PLUS an abbreviation, PLUS an optional "period" (and things with the periods get sorted differently, gah). So we've collectively had to deal with trying to link to local spots when the POIs could have been named any of:

1. Saint Name - POI
    2. Saint Naem - POI
    3. Saint Nickname - POI
    4. St. Name - POI
    5. St. Naem - POI
    6. St. Nickname - POI
    7. St Name - POI
    8. St Naem - POI
    9. St Nickname - POI
    10. StName - POI
    11. and on and on and on it goes

Plus the bonus that there is ALSO no convention for the joiner. Should it be:

1. City POI
    2. City - POI
    3. City: POI

or something else yet again? Those ALSO get sorted differently each.

• Arnecouwelier-PGOArnecouwelier-PGO Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

My question is not if it's inherently wrong to add town names, my question is if there's official guidelines on what's best: with or without? Because a fair few of the 'review which name is best' reviews come down to only this, and I'd like to adhere to guidelines.

I gave post offices as examples, but there's tons of other portals that have a town name in them.

For "guidelines", they explicitly say at best that when there is no official name for a POI, "creative" titles are allowed.

• Arnecouwelier-PGOArnecouwelier-PGO Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

So in essence it comes down to personal preference to include it or not?

(fwiw - locally I mostly see older portals have town name in them, and more recent ones without)

Yes, it's purely personal preference. But if you happen to name it with any variation on "City / Title" in my city, the local players hatehatehate it enough to immediately put in renaming requests when discovered. (That's probably a local-ism, exacerbated by the "Saint" "st" "St." "St" and even "St_" that just. won't. sort. lol)

But even without the local hatred, for MOST things also having a city name preceding it is unnecessary. The pub, the ballpark, the gazebo are all in that city, sure. But very very few things need to be named after the city.

• Skywalkered-PGOSkywalkered-PGO Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Unless the town/city name is part of the official name of the waypoint, then it's unnecessary. I think most people will be aware of where they are.

Street names, sometimes, depending how common the object is. A good example of this in the UK are postboxes and post offices, which do benefit from the name, given there are often quite a few of them in the average town. As a PoGo player, it's useful to point people to the "George VI Postbox - High Street" if there's something of interest there, rather than the "George VI Postbox" which could be almost anywhere.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

The submission instructions tell submitters to "Enter in a detailed and unique title. If possible, please use the official name of the object or location." I would say that "City Name Post Office" (of which there are likely very few, if not only one) is much more detailed and unique than "Post Office" (of which there are hundreds of thousands in the world).