Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Moving of correctly placed POI

Meenite-INGMeenite-ING Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

Even though Niantic recently placed a major restriction on POI movements the practice of moving something to benefit one game (mostly PoGo) is still rampant.

Right now the rules just state that moving a wayspot OFF it's correct location is against the rules. Previously there was also a statement that unnecessary moving was against the rules.

What is the current ruling concerning moving POI within "the correct location" to benefit one game?

Now, I'm not talking about moving say , a POI from the middle of a football field to a corner/goal post or similar, but rather say a playground with a swing set and a slide and moving POI from one to the other or from the left side to the right side of the swing set. Or moving a marker for a baseball field from for example behind the diamond to 5 yards along the side of the field.

Answers

• NorthSeaPoet-INGNorthSeaPoet-ING Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the location is already correct, it shouldn't be moved, regardless of which game(s) the edit would benefit.

In regards to the playground locatoon edits, technically, anywhere in the playground would be correct but moving it to benefit more games isnt appropriate, since it will have a possibly unintended effect on other games as well, such as breaking links from/to it on Ingress.

• Meenite-INGMeenite-ING Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

That's the point we've been trying to get across, that moving POI even within, say a playground or field is still bordering on abusing the system, even if it's not moved of the POI.

But a majority claims only moving it off POI is against the rules and therefore it's fine to manipulate positions to benefit their game. I'm looking for confirmation that moving stuff just to benefit one game is also not allowed.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what if it breaks links or fields? They can be put back up so its a minor inconvenience ,(I've been playing ingress and honestly couldn't care if field's go down, means more mu to put back up) but moving it enhances another game, so long as its on or near enough on the poi. Enhancing a game massively trumps minor inconvenience to another game (that would still give whatever agent puts the links and fiekds back up more ap and more anyway). In some places the pois are all next to each other so at best pogo might get 2 out 10 portaos as pokestips, yet minor edits might make it go uo to 5 or 6 pokestops, taking the game from virtually pointless to play to actually fun to play, are you trying to clsim that a minor inconvenience is worth more than a peiples ability to play the game?

• Ultimo6419-PGOUltimo6419-PGO Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

I recall reading a discussion that players of whatever game do not like to enter playgrounds and asked to put the pin at the edge, just like athletic fields. So if I see a nomination for a swing, I accept and locate it to the edge of the playground. I do that for convenience of gaming and assume that the nominator just didn't realise he could have a group of gamers in the middle of the sand box.

• Ochemist-INGOchemist-ING Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭

It matters greatly for so-called durable portals, which are often hard to access. These can be on mountaintops, in restricted access areas, etc. and move edits have been deliberately used to break links and fields coming from these portals. Recreating these links and fields is often far, far more than a "minor inconvenience". Niantic has specifically said that moving portals to solely to break links is abuse.