Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

Reviewer rating dropped for no good reason

Comments

• Akeca-INGAkeca-ING Posts: 18 ✭✭

This is getting funnier (or sadder, can't decide) by the minute. Yesterday I noticed my Recon badge was up by two points, meaning I had received credit for at least one agreement. I went back to check on my profile: still in the red (but it must have been yellow at least for a few minutes, right?). Then I did a few reviews (still red), and this morning the rating was up in the yellow (who knows for how long, that's another story).

The only thing I've done differently in the last couple of days: I submitted a few nominations. I know, crazy, totally unrelated, it has to be a coincidence. The truth is that I had maxed out my upgrades and hadn't used any for quite some time. I submitted four nominations, which have been slowly getting upgraded, although still in queue. That's the only thing I know for a fact that has changed in my behaviour since the beginning of July. 🙄

...and 48 hours and 15 agreements later I'm back in the red. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but this makes less and less sense by the minute 😕

FWIW I've never seen a cool down or the seemingly common "You have no more submissions to review at this time". Not ever, not a single one, I don't know what they look like.

• mcwomble-INGmcwomble-ING Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

... 4 days and 18 agreements later (6 accepted, 12 rejected) I finally got the "Are you a robot" message which seems to be the pre-cursor to the rating update

Sure enough I'm back yellow again ... it must be my turn (however temporarily)

Looking forward to the promised revisions for "the Fall 2020" whenever that may be.😕

Ok, I did see one of those yesterday before falling into the red hole once again. But I only reviewed a total of 13 nominations, probably 10 before the "Are you a robot" catch. Funny thing, I was reading the news so it usually took me over 15 minutes to review each nomination... 🙄

Definitely this is senseless. How many agreements till I see yellow again this time? 300, 500?

• exemok-PGOexemok-PGO Posts: 43 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

So Niantic is sure that Wayfarer is "Working as Intended".

4 months in queue and in voting for submits - is it what they mean - as intented?

Sorry to hear that broken wayfarer is feature, not bug.

• 5telios-ING5telios-ING Posts: 4 ✭✭

In the last two months, I have reviewed 241 nominations, with 159 (66%) agreements. I started in the red, slipped into the yellow a little after Niantic declared the problem solved, but only for about three four days. I have been back in the red for a week. In that time I have reviewed 38 with 34 agreements - almost 90% agreement rate, mainly achieved by skipping obvious PoGo trash submissions rather than awarding 1*.

Still in the red. So what gives?

I mostly agree, except that, from my experience with the last nominations I've submitted, it's gonna be bumpier if you follow the rules and approve things that fulfill the requirements while rejecting lesser proposals. I've had two outdoors murals, by national artists, rejected (don't know why, my prime client is not in English so I don't get to see the reasons) and a neoclassical bevel with huge architectural ornaments and crowned by a dome in a shrine form also rejected (I posted on the nominations forum about this one, someone answered it might not fulfill the criteria for not being "particularly uniquely interesting" if not accompanied by some history, since "it could be a generic building in most places". It's funny I'd also have trouble getting approved buildings with a huge history for not "looking" interesting enough but that's not entirely the reviewers competence, submissions should be valued within their context on their own merit, which street view can provide, yet people are re-creating their own contexts to rank the submissions: my tower is not good enough, a pikachu painted on a streetlight is).

I don't know if there's a way to fix that, since there appear to be two contradictory value sets running simultaneously (Niantic's and the players').

• kirean-INGkirean-ING Posts: 34 ✭✭

22 pages and counting..

... 13 days, 157 reviews, 72 agreements and 2 accepted Nominations later, I'm back in the green.

It is possible folks, you just have to make careful choices.

Same here, I'm back in the green (was yellow for less than 48 hours, been green for almost 3 days). I also had a few nominations approved.

I've changed my strategy and am doing some personal research, to gain insight into how my community votes (more or less, since final resolutions might lag quite a bit, but overall my area sees a pretty fast turnaround). During July and most of August I did half a dozen reviews per day and had a high percentage of agreements (close to 90, I believe); it didn't help, rating didn't move at all. For the last week I've been reviewing over 40 nominations daily and my percentage is the lowest I've ever seen, but rating is green. Things I'm noticing: some rules are not generally followed (I've rejected a couple of drinking water fountains and a local swimming pool that have become portals pretty quickly and for those I'll be penalized without points) and most people don't care about satellite view (which means that if street view is not clear enough, the nomination will be rejected based on its location not being found).

While in yellow I saw a few "Confirm you're not a robot" captchas, none at all since green status. I haven't seen any cooldowns either (I do reviews in batches).

OTOH I'm not doing anything different in terms of criteria, still following the same rules (although I might start to reject things that don't show up in street view, since sadly it appears to be a fastest way to the badge...)

• tott1lus-INGtott1lus-ING Posts: 5 ✭✭

Can you please explain what "careful choices" means ? Because if you mean that we should be in line with Niantic Guidelines when we vote the majority of the players already stated that the we have good percentage of agreements but no improvement in out rating. And that we believe that sistem is broken.

Precisely that - by cherry picking only to review those which I knew to be dead-certs at either end of the spectrum. Ignoring every noticeboard, footpath sign, stink-pipe etc. If I ran out of skips I just logged out and came back 20 mins later.

I also took my time even if it was a slam-dunk 1*.

I made a lot of comments - not sure whether anyone reads them but it helped to pad out the time.

Location reviews I did a lot of research - was it being moved just to push it into another cell. If it was put it back in the current position.

That's what I call careful choices.

It wont have cleared anything significant in the backlog but I'm happy to wait until there's clarity on whether the system is broken or not.

• tott1lus-INGtott1lus-ING Posts: 5 ✭✭

This is not solving general problem that we need as stable system as it could be so we can expand and improve wayspot database. I'm glad it works for you but why should we use "little tricks" (cherry-picking, skipping etc) if the system works. I'll try to adopt some things from your advice, thanks for it, but we need better solution.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

I have worked my way back to yellow.

Got hit with red at end of April. My local area - based Manchester in U.K. went dead, approvals came to a stop.

I’m guessing ( cause we don’t know for certain ) that a lot of us disagreed with Niantic assessment on a test waypoint. Doubt we will ever know.

During May-July I did a total of 28 reviews. My upgrades increased by 20 during this time. I was operating as I always did just doing 2/3 at time from what was presented

Left it alone for about 4 weeks.

Nothing changed, local area dead as a dodo.

middle August I decided to experiment and try a new strategy.

As @mcwomble-ING did I cherry-picked. I had never done this before.

if I found myself pausing to wonder about any aspect that wasn’t crystal clear I skipped it.

But I also was picky about where the points were located.

A comment by Casey hinted that an element affecting our rating might be somehow linked to points being agreed. I know nothing is being agreed locally so anything roughly local I skipped. This included edits so essentially I wasn’t doing edits.

So I was only doing the type of reviews that are in the fast track, so agreements would be reached quickly.

I only did 1/2 and waited for the upgrade point to come through. Then another 1 etc.

After 13 I went to yellow.

I wasn’t able to review any, and 2 days later it slipped to red - no change to my stats from the day I went yellow (screenshots so I’m sure) No idea what happened there, but to me it hints at something wonky.

I did another few and went back to yellow after agreements came through.

I’ve been yellow now for a week. Still slowly reviewing, with agreements coming through and using same tactic.

It did not require a large number of reviews.

It did require being very picky over clear cut nature and I think the fast resolution of the agreement.

If someone else wants to try it I’d love to know if it works for them.

I agree it shouldn’t be hard, but I got fed up waiting for Niantic to help.

Others have talked of doing a lot in order to get back to yellow/green, at least this was targeted and involved a small number.

currently I’m not helping my local area, but if it becomes stable then I can do.

I’m sure there is a lot of potential for flaws in the test system.

I recently had a way point submitted, rejected, some better info and picture added resubmitted and accepted all in less than a week. If my original had been picked to be a test then it very rapidly would have changed to appearing as a duplicate which could be classed as a wrong answer by Niantic but correct to the reviewer.

Until there is openness and a willingness to engage it will remain flawed and broken

• kirean-INGkirean-ING Posts: 34 ✭✭

Niantic doesn't seem to think it is a problem.

I have quit reviewing. I'll be back when it's working again.

My rollercoaster continues, back to yellow after less than 96 hours in the green...

I don't cherry pick and barely skip anything (also assuming that honeyspots are clear-cut nominations, which might not be true). I´m doing around 35 reviews daily, keeping track of all the info and going back a few days later to see the results (when possible, of course). Interestingly my rating dropped to yellow at the same time my local nominations have got stuck in the voting process...

I've also found a few nominations that found their way into the intel map yet, as per the guidelines, should have been clearly rejected (and I didn't agree with those).

Also, funny thing (OCD), my upgrade wheel moves faster than my agreements (one point here, one point there, usually twice per upgrade)

I only wish we knew more in order to determine whether it's working as intended or not, instead of having to faithfully trust NIA Ops...

• daawg-INGdaawg-ING Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

Niantic is like that bully at the job who got into an executive position and keeps ignoring and putting down employees who are desperately trying to tell there’s a problem.

• Gravlis-PGOGravlis-PGO Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited September 2020

Sooo...

I went down to red a while ago. Did the test without a problem so I got back to yellow. Yesterday I went down to red again. Strictly been following the guidelines and have been much more selective, only voting on nominations I know is eligible or not eligible.

If Niantic wants people to review nominations they need to fix the rating system. -I´m done for now... 😒

Post edited by Gravlis-PGO on
  • Went from green to yellow for no reason that makes sense. Very good, thorough reviewer. Frustrating.

I've just gone from green to yellow overnight for seemingly no good reason. Perhaps some disagreement cases have finally cleared.

Back to being cautious again.

• Gui5antanas-PGOGui5antanas-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited September 2020

I have followed strictly the guidelines but it seems that other players are accepting edits/solicitations where other players requesting wrong or fake locations/edits. Result: i'm stuck on red for months already. It's frustrating bc it feels im being punished for doing a good work while cheatting is ok.

Can you have a look at my status progression? There must be something wrong...

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was stuck in red for a long time as well back in Spring, but eventually I worked my way back up to green. It takes time.

• Thank you! So, i think it will take the hard way, haha.

• Khatre-INGKhatre-ING Posts: 181 ✭✭✭✭

Just my feedback after 6month in poor.

Now i just wait 2min before validating the review and just skip everything which is a maybe (timeout when no more skip available).

great again after 2k5 review in red before waiting (for nothing) in each review

I have clawed my way back to green.

It took very picky reviewing

since going red at end of April I have reviewed a total of 69 with an increase in upgrade points of 51

I was not being so picky to begin with and had ground to a halt.

17th August I restarted skipping or timing out on anything that had any doubt. I also avoid local submissions and most edits as these are just not reaching agreement at the moment. So although reviewing very little they reached agreement quickly. I think there is a significant number of reviews that I have done in April - July that have yet to reach resolution ( nominations are going nowhere locally) and have a concern that this is a factor in the rating.

After reviewing 16 and reaching 10 more upgrades I went to yellow

It took a further 25 and 20 more upgrades I went to green.

So it is possible without doing a large number.

But it is stupidly complex and should not be this difficult.

However as we are getting zero help from Niantic I decided to test out my own strategy avoiding situations that I think may be causing problems with whatever algorithm they have.

I don’t believe it is working as intended and my local area is stuck in a black hole - I will start to do a few local ones but keep careful track.

• Mormegil71-INGMormegil71-ING Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

I fully agree with you. If you have to game the system to this extent in order to get a good rating, the system itself is utterly broken. It should be reset to pre-April 2020.