Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Germany "Stolpersteine" eligile?

There are several Pokestops in Germany called "Stolpersteine" / stumbling blocks. They are memorials of jewish families who were deported and killed in the 1930/40ies (Holocaust). The blocks are located in front of the houses the families used to live in. As far as I know, Germany has 70.000 stumbling blocks. New blocks are constantly added. I see many waystop applications for these blocks. I approved several because I assumed that the historical event outweighted the rule that stops should be at least 40m from a private house. However, I am not sure if this is what Niantic wants us to do.

Here is a picture of a typical block. The blocks do not only mention historically important people. On the contrary, these memorials are designed to remember those who were "just normal".

Do we approve? If not, why?

Best Answer

Answers

• Requiario-PGORequiario-PGO Posts: 13 ✭✭

In my town there are some "shells" just like those blocks because they are on the St. James Way and all of them are Wayspots. I think they are good POIs.

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

i never had one NOT approved. Stolpersteine are a very good POI.

• saarstahl-INGsaarstahl-ING Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

It's difficult. Stolpersteine generally tend to get approved, but they are very often used to create fake wayspots in a different location. I have seen nominations that were hundreds of kilometers away from the original location. I have seen people who add these fake wayspots as locations in Google maps. You need to check the location very carefully (find the address from a source that cannot easily be faked, and look it up on the map).

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

basic rule: they never are set in housing areas. if theres a newer build 1-family home, you know

that there is some shenenigans goin on.

you will find them in old towns centers.

• Ultimo6419-PGOUltimo6419-PGO Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

Thank you for your comments. So the memorials are considered great POI. The location needs to be thouroughly checked, as we see many fakes.

Does the location of the memorials have an effect on the acceptance? If they are located in front of an appartement building (cities), eligible. If they are located in town centers, house is no longer used for living purposes, but hosts a business, eligible. If they are located in front of a house that formerly and today is a single owner private property (rather common), eligible or not elegible? The memorial is not located ON the property, but at a distance closer than 40m.