Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Does "Sandbox" = "Playground"?

In our local community the debate of what constitutes a playground has been running rampant the last few weeks.

Generelly, the consensus is that it has to have at least one play structure, ie, a swing set, a climbing structure, an obstacle course or similar, preferably several combined, like swings, slide and sandbox for example.

Now we're seeing a lot of submissions of just a sandbox, nominated as a playground, and cited as qualifying as a playground on it's own.

Could we ask for some clarification? Since other things have a certain standard they need to meet (bridges in parks/on trails, only certain memorial benches etc), what is the minimum standard for a playground?

Adding a couple of pictures of the sandbox only nominations as an example.

Answers

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

I would say a lone sandbox is not a playground. To me, a playground would need to include two or more different pieces of equipment (or one more elaborate play structure).

That said, I wouldn't say a single sandbox is necessarily ineligible. The rating would depend a lot on the particular submission. And I would probably still choose "playground" for "What is it?" if "sandbox" isn't a choice.

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

I submitted a tree swing and lawn as a play area at a block of flats back in January and it was rejected as abuse, private residence and doesn't meet criteria.

So I think people assume a play area needs more than 1 thing and space to play to be a play area.

I guess the abuse/private residence rejection was someone who thought I submitted my private 3 storey 48 room house's tree swing to get a home stop... (complete with communal bins in shot!)

I wonder if that will be the same for this, that it'll be flagged up as someone's sandpit at their house because it's 'not big enough' to be considered a playground?

I think personally, if kids can play there and it's got something purpose built to that effect then it can be considered a playground, but I don't think that's a common way of thinking. It'll probably be rejected again.

• bogsdark-PGObogsdark-PGO Posts: 5 ✭✭

Yo creo q en razon a eso e visto lugares muy chicos y no se es como los aseptan pero si se puede no se en criterio hacer nueva propuesta y explcando bien en q razon esta bueno digo.

• TorvoTeratos-PGOTorvoTeratos-PGO Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

Some sandboxes might be eligible, but the example given, I can't tell if it's a sandbox or a pit they pulled a tree out of and refilled or something. If the sandbox was a named feature (like a park having a sign) or had a fancy retainer wall or something, then I would maybe approve it.

Muy buen comentario seria ver q lo aprueven asi como lo mencionas

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldnt say yes or no straight up. I would need to see it. If the sandbox was fairly big and well made then I woukd vote highly. The one you showed as an example though I would reject or vote 2 star at most, its verry poor made and honestly looks like someone just stuck some planks down and put sand i the middle

• Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

It"s a sandbox. Usually the sides are higher but it's still a sandbox, no doubt about that.

--

For me this example doesn't register as a playground. There is an equipment/object that is common on playgrounds, but the area/place seems more like a resting place (two benches, one small and shallow sandbox).

Just my opinion naturally and it might change if I could see the whole nomination and the surrounding area (context).

• SportJules-PGOSportJules-PGO Posts: 16 ✭✭✭

A playgroud could be only a grassfield. There is no Definition for a playground , so only a Sandbox is a place to play = Playground !

Yo creo q todo esto de comentar votar y esas cosas para una pokeparada y te la asepten es mas q perdida de tiempo ya q tanto haces para q despues no te pongan las pokes solicitadas en el lugar lo deberían de hacer más simple y no estar con rodeos

• SportJules-PGOSportJules-PGO Posts: 16 ✭✭✭

A Sandbox is a playground. There is no definition for the Equipment for a playground. A Playground also could be a grassfield without any buildings ......

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

But I don't think so, or many submitters would just nominate an empty field (as long as children can play there) as a playground, just like this:

This one is an empty, concrete field beside a mosque that is used by local children to play. And yes, in that example no playground equipment was put in that place, just an empty field.

Surely, we need a better and clearer definition of 'Playgrounds'.

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally think a sandbox in a park area could qualify as a POI. If there's already a playground POI close, it would probably be considered a part of that.

But I do not think an open field is a "playground". In my opinion, *in this context*, I think a playground needs some kind of structure for kids to play on. Whether it be a climbing structure, swings, a slide, etc- but it needs some kind of play structure. And per wayfarer rules, we always need a man made object to tie our nomination to.