Historic House Ineligible

This was rejected for being both a private residence and a generic business. It's neither. It's a historic site that offers free tours and is available for rent as a wedding venue.

Comments

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

I think when you say here it's a historic site that offers free tours and is available to rent as a wedding venue, and doesn't have anyone living there, all of those points should be more clearly stated early on in the nomination. Also if you can take the picture in a way that shows off a door sign or something to make it seem less like a picture of a really pretty private home, that may help people not reject it just based on the picture.

For example

Title: Cottle House, 1825

Description: Built by Oliver Cottle, who is/did xxxxxxxxxxxx and the local town Cottleville is named after him. No longer a private home, it is open to the public for tours and as a wedding venue.

Xxxxxxx being why he is important, what he did, why the local town was named after him.

Supporting information should give more about the family's importance and the link you provided. Include the link to the wedding venue information too because that easily shows that it's not just a private home.

• It doesn't have a sign/plaque.

• XK150-INGXK150-ING Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

It's old, not historic. Something worth remembering had to happen there to be historic, and the venue's own website doesn't describe anything particularly historic happening there.

You'd have better luck submitting it as a wedding venue business. At least then, reviewers will know it's not a private residence.

I mean, I would probably vote "generic business" anyway, because "business in an old building" isn't that special, but you might get lucky.

• They named the nearby town and road after the families though how is that not historic?

I have ancestors with roads named after them, just because they had the biggest houses on those roads. "They named a road after them" is an incredibly weak standard for historical value, because that's how a lot of roads in small-town America got named.

Named a town after them? Maybe. What did they do to get it named after them?

• The Cottles were the first settlers in the Area. Captain Warren G. Cottle, who secured a land grant from the Spanish in 1798.

So, not the Cottles who built this house, in other words? "Built by somebody related to guy the town is named after" is really stretching the definition of historic. My ancestors founded an entire county; I don't get to nominate every shack my cousins have ever lived in.

• TorvoTeratos-PGOTorvoTeratos-PGO Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

I do think you're making a good argument for historical interest, but I think the fact that this is a wedding venue is really hurting your chances. It has a nice story, but it's not marked as a preserved historical site by the historical society that I can tell and it is currently used for a generic business. You might get it through with the right set of reviewers, but I think you might be better off putting your energy into other POIs.

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

for something to be acceptable as an historic site and not just old, it should show an effort at preservation. without a plaque or sign showing preservation or museum status, i think it will always be rejected as a generic business if you submit as a wedding venue or as a private residence if you submit as a house. agree you could get lucky with the reviewers, especially with the link to the history you provided, but i have never gotten even the most unique local business accepted.

another option might be to take that tour and submit memorabilia from inside if there is a noteworthy historical display of the information provided on the website.