Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Antique Barber Poles

I’m seeking clarification regarding whether antique barber poles are eligible candidates.

On one hand, Barber poles do signify a generic business.

On the other hand, the use of the barber poles has centuries of history behind it going back to the Middle Ages, and the poles themselves are becoming less and less common. I’ve only seen a handful of them in the last decade. They are an advertising convention that is dying out, kind of like the “cigar store indian,” and people are more likely to encounter them watching old films than in real life.

Lacking other clarification, my current inclination is to try my luck, write a good description and supporting statement and see what happens.

Answers

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

That seems pretty generic to me. Why is that one interesting?

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are extremely common in my country, it's probably due to the whole 'hipster movement' where male grooming became a popular pastime... There are lots of websites that sell these. So what makes it any different to a standard garden ornament?

Yes, they may have some history, but your specific example may not. If you can find the oldest surviving barber pole from some barbershop that has been around for 20,000 years, then that might count as it may be argued to have historical significance. Otherwise it's just a generic ornament used to represent a business.

• XK150-INGXK150-ING Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Most "antique" barber poles aren't antiques. They're just advertising. You might as well be submitting the neon beer sign in the window of a bar.