Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Street signs with added info

In Germany, a lot of streets that are named after a person (e.g. Mozart-Straße) or something with a historic/cultural background (e.g. Nibelungen-Straße) will have a small sign added to their street name signs, explaining the background of the name. They're educational, but quite common and usually visually similar to each other. Some streets might have them at every intersection.

Are they eligible, and if so, how should we handle multiple signs for the same street?

Tagged:

Answers

• YouLostAStar-INGYouLostAStar-ING Posts: 280 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have mixed feelings over this. On one hand very cool sign, nice addition to a regular sign street and provides a little history.

however on the other hand I wonder how many signs like these there are, your post implies they are very common and imagine if every sign became a wayspot. Would the number of these signs be a large amount in the network?

• Dice3423-INGDice3423-ING Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

They are in the Illegible criteria section. But their is a cause that says.... "Don’t nominate these unless the subject has some cultural significance. Generic street signs qualify as mass-produced objects." I believe you are trying to show cultural significance with the history. I would think adopted street signs by a community would be eligible. Example. "This bus stop was adopted by Ocean City Commons Community."

• Perringaiden-INGPerringaiden-ING Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

I'm with @YouLostAStar-ING on this. There's enough information that if it were a plaque all on it's own, it'd be an acceptable historical marker. But attached to the street sign, and on all of them, I feel like it would get out of hand.

Density isn't a question a reviewer should be asking theirself. Density is a niantic issue and they will address. Per wayfarer help. The answer to this does it meet criteria. The only sub-criteria to typical street signs is if it is cultural significance.

To me. A signed adopted by a community meets the community significance requirement to allow a wayspot.

• ZinkyZonk-INGZinkyZonk-ING Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

I would gave stars for these yet mark the visual uniqueness down a bit. The first example would be a 2-3 star for me and the second 4-5 star.

For multiple instances several options...

East,west

A,B,C

How cool to have an info sign attached to a street sign!

Just saw this. July 2019 AMA response.

Q: kamikatze07 - Can we please have an clarificiation on the following portal candidates: Streetsigns with additionals signs telling something about the famous namesake of the street/alley/place/.... or cultural info why it was named this way. Usually put there by the local governments and in an standard design fitting to the street sign.

A: It would be hard to comment on this without an example. In general, if the signs have educational content, they can be considered valid candidates. 

But I still hold true to Wayfarer being more current in my opinion.

@NianticCasey-ING Can you decide whether to follow the July 2019 AMA or what is in wayfarer?

• ChampReady-PGOChampReady-PGO Posts: 29 ✭✭

Just to add on this with something that hasn’t been mentioned yet is the question of if it has pedestrian access. Some of ours in the US have famous or cultural influences but they’re hanging over the road on the traffic light instead of on the corner which in my opinion means not publicly accessible safely if doing a raid there.

If accessible safely and educational, I’d say it qualifies as a nomination.

@ChampReady-PGO A submission on the sidewalk is meeting criteria for the USA If the city doesn't have sidewalks. They area people walk at is still acceptable.

• ChampReady-PGOChampReady-PGO Posts: 29 ✭✭

@Gabriel0322-PGO if there isn’t a sidewalk then it needs at least a marked off area along the side of the road for me to see its publicly accessible like a shoulder. If a street sign is in the middle like I was mentioning before such as a roundabout or hanging on a traffic light without a crosswalk that isn’t publicly accessible safely.

@ChampReady-PGO

January 2019 AMA

Q27: When it comes to "Safe Pedestrian Access" - There seems to be discrepancies between the definition for locations in Europe vs North America.

In North America, there are these nice sidewalks, traffic signs, and such that makes an obvious "Safe Passage".

In many places in Europe there are many streets where there aren't many paths dedicated to Pedestrian access. There is more of a "shared" area with vehicles and pedestrians. (You would think that after 2500 years of civilization, they could define sidewalks - but that's for another AMA).

Should there be different criteria for different regions based on local guidelines and traditions that the community follows, or should there be a global criteria where "Safe Pedestrian Access" is the same?

A27: It would be impossible to set a specific global requirement. We also have to default to local municipalities and their laws. What is required in Thailand for a pedestrian offset may not be required in England. But both are deemed safe by local laws. So there is essentially different criteria and why people of a region and familiar with places review submissions.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sidewalks are not required. A place to stand is. Rural areas don't always have sidewalks. Some cities around the world doesn't have sidewalks.

• shimpooky-PGOshimpooky-PGO Posts: 5 ✭✭

This is not a pedestrian access issue. Of course, any object has to be rejected if you can't get to it safely. I'm asking about the eligibility of this kind of sign, regardless of other reasons why it might be ineligible (like being on school grounds etc).

I'm aware of the AMA question and vague answer (forgot to mention it in my post), and I would like a clarification for the examples provided.

None exist. As typically everyone rejects street signs.

Current Guidelines. In Illegible Criteria.

Nominations that are images of mass-produced art pieces or objects

Don’t nominate these unless the subject has some cultural significance. Generic street signs qualify as mass-produced objects.

• Xmacke7x-INGXmacke7x-ING Posts: 220 ✭✭✭✭

That reference does not meet the op question. Normal street signs are mass produced objects. But the additional information signs could be eligble if they have an educational value.

I would accept both of posted the examples.

• KalleBPointKalleBPoint Posts: 1 ✭✭

Hi,

I have another example:

This was rejected twice, but I think it should at least be 3*...

It says that the woman the street is named after was the first honorary women's representative and councilor

Educational value --> check

Important for local town history --> check

I think it is really hard to get these signs with additional info approved.

Kind regards

• MortalXa-INGMortalXa-ING Posts: 27 ✭✭

There is an info on Info it, but doesn't say Not much about this person.

Maybe you can find some additional formation about the person and add them to the in-game description.

• MortalXa-INGMortalXa-ING Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited March 2020

We have stuff like this:

https://imgur.com/pDfROZp

They will only be accepted if the submitter sells them well.

Already seen some while reviewing with focus on the street name and in the description no more than the street name. These never went live.

• KalleBpoint-PGOKalleBpoint-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭

Hi, thank you for your answer.

What do you mean with "not much about this person"?

The infos that I get from the sign:

• the person was a local politician ( --> councilor)
    • there is something special about this person (she was the first women's representative in the local town)
    • this was in the years from 1985 until 1993 (I think it was not common for woman to be that much involved in politics in that period)
    • so the person was in total important for the local town history

I found some Further additional Infos:

• She was the head of a local counseling center

What do you expect more? Anything I can improve on this?

Regards

• PoMaQue-PGOPoMaQue-PGO Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

We have tons of those here as well and my issue with them is that the educational part is attached to every single street sign.

1* for being Visually Unique and the information is usually limited to "Land owner in the 18th century". So not much in terms of educational value.

EDIT: just had an example pass by

This sign is attached to each sign with the street's name.

Post edited by PoMaQue-PGO on
  • Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I can give an example of one that passed near me, it's technically a trail marker but looks like a street sign. It was passed we reckon due to the Firth and clyde canal marker on the top, making it unique

• MandragorDE-PGOMandragorDE-PGO Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited August 2020

@NianticCasey-ING, I'm pulling this topic up since this is still one of the most controversal and discussed issue at least in German Wayfarer channels and it would be very helpful to get a clearer answer from Niantic officials on this.

It is very common that towns / cities have many streets (in some districs every street) which are named after a historical person. It might be specific for germany / central europe, but here it is very common that most or even all of these streets have street signs with such small plaques attached that provide a bit of information about the name giver of this street. You often have multiple of these signs in a signle street (one on each street side at each crossing) which is suming up to hundreds of such street signs in some cities.

During the entire OPR time these were not considered as eligible wayspots (or at this time portals) since the guideline from Niantic was that general street signs are no valid wayspots and this was the common and accepted understanding within the Ingress community. Confusion only started after some Pokemon Go players started more and more to submit and accept them and therefore in AMA June/July 2019 it was asked if they are eligible. Unfortunately the answer we got caused more confusion than helping and is taken as justification to flood some ares with such street sign wayspots:

"Q63: Can we please have an clarificiation on the following portal candidates: Streetsigns with additionals signs telling something about the famous namesake of the street/alley/place/.... or cultural info why it was named this way. Usually put there by the local governments and in an standard design fitting to the street sign.

A63: It would be hard to comment on this without an example. In general, if the signs have educational content, they can be considered valid candidates."

In the opening posting of this thread @shimpooky-PGO has attached two specific examples for such street signs from Germany. Looking at them and considering that there can be hundreds of them in a city, would you recomment accepting them as wayspots or refuse them with 1* as generic street signs?

It would eliminate a lot of tension if there would be a clear answer from Niantic on this.