Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Are Beehives "Living Animals"?

Putting this question here before I take it to the Appeal, to know if the error was mine or the reviewers.

The main question here is: I nominated a Beehive and it was rejected for, among reasons, for being "a living animal".

This is the main picture of the nomination:

and this is the supplemental picture:

Among the other reasons it got rejected was, according to the email, "The real-world location of the nomination could not be confirmed to have an acceptable pedestrian pathway leading up to it, Nomination does not meet acceptance criteria, Photo of the nomination appears to be of a live animal instead of a valid object."

The "no pedestrian pathway" I'd argue that there is a pretty good pedestrian walkway, which this picture is taken from. The distance between the walkway and the Beehive is just 3-5m or so and could easily be reached even before the extended Range due to Covid. But that can be solved by me either re-nominating or posting this in the Wayspot Appeal section. Google Maps Streetview Link: https://goo.gl/maps/YsozgLGiPu2pEd4a6

However, before I do that I would like some clarification on the second part, if a Beehive is to be considered a "living animal" or not. This Beehive is part of a project by the local county to increase floral diversity by aiding in pollination and there are a handful of similar hives spread around the area. It will be there a while (according to the project plans on the county's webbpage at least) and it is not moved around. I can see how if I took a picture of a dog, cat, horse or even an individual bee that it could be a living animal, but is a beehive? Would a stable be a "living animal" as it is a housing for a living animal?

Anyway, TL-DR: Just looking for some clarification regarding beehives being "Living Animals".

Best Answer

Answers

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about the part "Nomination does not meet acceptance criteria"

Why did you skip that?

Which criteria does it fit this nomination?

• Kirbydeb-PGOKirbydeb-PGO Posts: 37 ✭✭

Apart from the specific nomination, I would actually really like thoughts on this question "Are beehives living animals?"

In the same line, I come across a lot of Insect Hotels, and I struggle with a similar question (as well as the fact that there is not fitting category to put them in, so if I'm forced to pick one I generally choose beehive by the lack of a better alternative). I'm tended to say no, but I am really curious to hear your thought on it.

• Kirbydeb-PGOKirbydeb-PGO Posts: 37 ✭✭

@FrealafGB-PGO : good to hear that you share the same train of thoughts. I think signs near insect hotels are rare where I live though.

• Ferdawoon-PGOFerdawoon-PGO Posts: 6 ✭✭

Honestly, because I read it as part of the next rejection-reason and not as a reason in itself. It was also the least informative reason. I wouldn't have nominated any random Hive, but this one has a particular purpose and is an environmental effort to help with pollination (in an adjacent county to where Greta Thunberg comes from). If industry-produced trail markers, fences and park-entrances can be "interesting objects" I'd say a project like this would also qualify as something worth highlighting. I'll admit it might not be interesting in itself, without knowing why it is there (for the longest time I thought it was a weather station) so I reasoned that highlighting it and adding a thorough description to explain what it is and its purpose would help qualify it as a POI, raise awareness and also to make people consider the various environmental efforts done in the area (There are other ways to "go green" than being vegan, recycle and plant trees).

In my Description of it I mentioned that it was part of the local county's effort to increase floral diversity and all that. I did not link to the documents on the governments webpage in the "additional information" which I maybe should have done to help clarify the effort. I made this post primarily to see if I could get a clarification on if this was a "Living Animal" as that was the one thing I felt I might have missed an AMA about and could be wrong. It having an interesting purpose, and by that being worth highlighting as a stop, and the pedestrian access I felt I had already addressed in my Nomination.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right, "Does not meet criteria" is the least informative reason as you don't get any comment that they might write to explain their reasoning. Some people might choose other rejection reasons even if they don't fit exactly in order to try to give you a hint about why they don't think that your nomination fits the valid criteria

But it's also one of the most important, so you should take care to explain correctly which criteria does it fit when you nominate it. Review the valid candidates guidelines and explain why your nomination is valid according to the guidelines.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beehives are temporary placements and can be moved at any time by the beekeeper.