Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Trail Marker

@NianticCasey-ING can you please tell me how this can still be acceptable. Rejecting a genuine Trail Marker and using such a stupid excuse for rejecting. I'm sorry but this has been going on far far too long and NOTHING has been done to stop the idiots rejecting valid waypoints. When is niantic going to start acting on this? If my account was to get a ban for such reviewing abuse what would happen then, I would have to try to argue my account back.

Tagged:

Answers

• kirean-INGkirean-ING Posts: 34 ✭✭

I'm sorry I can't really see what that image represents, even if I zoom in.

• Mormegil71-INGMormegil71-ING Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

I think I can understand the reason for denying it, it just says "London" on the marker, which might be interpreted as just a direction, rather than a trail name.

But there is no reason whatsoever for flagging it as abuse. Rather, the ones flagging it are the abusers.

• Dazzz123456-PGODazzz123456-PGO Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

It's a trail marker you can all clearly see it is. When you review to aid reviewing niantic has actually done something very clever where by when reviewing if you click the title it will go on Google and find the item poi, so we know it's a real Trail marker yes it just has the London loop on it ut it is not going to be anything else as that's the name of the trail.

So what I'll ask again @NianticCasey-ING what are you actually doing to stop genuine submissions from getting flagged and reported as harassment?

This is exactly why I have stopped reviewing completely and very rarely do submissions now. Because it's the lack of care and attention by the new generation of reviewers that dont still know what they are doing and the lack of concern that niantic show for people like these poor reviewers that dont have any consequences. It's always been a problem but this is still going on even more so now since it's become wayfarer. @NianticCasey-ING say this has flagged my account and I receive a "punishment" I then am the victim shall we say of niantics dont care attitude and of frankly lazy reviewers.

Now in my town alone since I have been a lvl 10 in Ingress i have found over 200 pois in my local area alone and more on top of that outside of my local area. I have contributed to my community and others, I think I a very very good understanding of what is a poi and what isn't. The fact this has been flagged as abuse and harassment is absolutely shocking. That I am potentially being punished whilst these I'm going to say idiots as that's what they are, are being left unchecked and I have no way of defending my account. Something really needs to be done. And I know if I get a reply which I'm sure I wont that niantic will say they have measures in place to catch lazy reviewers but clearly very clearly they do not work.

Wayfarer has been running for a while now there is no excuse what so ever for you to not have these problems. You expect people like me to go and find new pois to expand your profits with a flippant attitude towards the people that are doing the had work. And you wonder why your profits are down and your Google rating for all your games is slowly sinking. Stop pushing events for people to spend money, fix the many many problems you have in all your games and start again.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

All that line in the email means is that at least one person selected "abuse" as the rejection reason. Unless you have received a warning email from Niantic, there is no reason to believe that there are any negative consequences for your account.

Further, just being a trail marker is not sufficient for a nomination to be approved. It has to be a trail marker with a trail name to be definitely eligible under the trail marker criteria. I've looked at the wayspot photo a few times, and only just now did I finally realize it actually says "London Loop." The word "Loop" is barely readable. Hopefully you can understand why someone might not think this meets the "trail name" criteria, and if you decide to resubmit, it would be useful to either try to find an angle where "Loop" is more legible or at least direct the reviewer's attention to the word "Loop" in your supporting info.

It's a trail marker you say the writing is barely readable but you can read it. I'm sure you will understand I have been doing this much longer than alot of pogo players but this is something that has been in the elements since it was is installed.

I certainly understand how the reason on the emails work, but the fact it says it has been flagged as harassment says there is a negative against it and my account. Unlike other nominations reasons that is the only one that actually states it.

Trail markers do meet the criteria set out by niantic to say it is not valid just because it's a named trail is ridicules. If the reviewer actually did as I said which is click the title it will show that it is a valid trail.

• Hi there,

There are two parts to this question, so I'll be addressing them separately:

With regard to your question about the candidacy of this trail marker. In the September AMA, I clarified some of the requirements for a trail marker to be accepted. Based on the screenshot provided, I can't say definitively whether these are all met: As long as the marker represents a trail it should be accepted. It should be something that is on the path of the trail, helps people find the path, has the trail name and is permanent. If it seems like the marker is temporary or is fake or placed just to get a Wayspot in place, reviewers can mark it as abuse for further review. 

My assumption is that, based on the quality of the submission and what's visible in the photo, other reviewers are following the guidelines above, marking what they believe to be a fake or temporary trail marker as abuse. Just because something was flagged for abuse, however, doesn't mean that we're automatically going to be issuing warnings, bans or suspensions to the potentially offending account. Our abuse team carefully reviews these reports to make sure that punishments are doled out appropriately. Additionally, you have the opportunity to appeal any strike or suspension against your account.

Hope that clarification helps.

@NianticCasey-ING well it hasnt cleared it up really. The picture all be it the Marker is faded due to being open to the elements which is not my fault shouldn't rule it out. It has the name on it and can be read and found on the trails website. Also the arrow in which the marker is pointing clearly shows that it is showing the route of the trail. From the satellite view there is a clear path and I got that in as best I could in the support photo keeping the Marker post in the photo to show it is there.

You can clearly see it has age so it is acceptable and the discription shows why the trail is unique. So I dont quite accept that this hasnt met criteria.

You also say that a flagged reject may not result in a punishment but can you tell me what is being done about the poor rejected reasons. This has become beyond a joke and niantic seem to like to make every answer so cryptic it's almost pointless.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Trail markers with trail names are valid. Your submission is being reviewed by people who have likely never seen a marker for this particular trail and who likely have all manner of different brightness and contrast settings on their monitors and phones. On my screen at least, the word "Loop" is only noticeable if you really look for it, and if a reviewer doesn't see the full name of the trail on the marker, it would make sense to reject this nomination. If you don't see the word "Loop," it's just an arrow pointing toward London.

In my opinion, it would be a better use of your time thinking about how to help reviewers see that this is an eligible nomination (perhaps by stating in the supporting info that the word "Loop" appears in the arrow but is very faded) instead of complaining about what a bad job they did.

There is a newer sign Marker for the trail about 500 meters away from the this poi, there is probably only 5 stops that will be near the existing poi sign and the disc Marker (above). So it will be seen in the nearby portals it is simply a case of lazy, lazy reviewers. As I said previously the one good thing niantic has done is make the title a link on Google so it's a simple click that will show the named Trail, the route, what the disc looks like and proves its legitimate.

I'm not going to sub it anymore because to be totally honest since this is now wayfarer its become really really bad. When it was opr I respected a reject as ingress players understand the the criteria. The time it takes now as well to receive your nominations back has dramatically increased. What would take on average 7 days for an accept or reject has increased to 3 sometimes 4 months either in the queue or in voting.

@NianticCasey-ING niantic is losing more and more reviewers who actually know what they are doing. niantic just seems to not care about letting something worth playing to achieve become a complete joke. You can submit your own nominations and scan your own portals near me now niantic as I really cant be asked to do it for free with this poor feature.

• DerWelfe2205-PGODerWelfe2205-PGO Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

The important part now is to enforce those rules. Many trail markers that have a name on them and are permanent still get rejected.

At the moment the only way the rules are being enforced is by pre reviewed nominations but I don't think that's ideal because the reviewers get no explanation on why their rating dropped.

There needs to be better feedback for reviewers and also a rework of the showcase. Maybe even put some good examples of valid trail markers in there.

If pre reviewed nominations is the only way to enforce it then niantic has to do it. Tuff if there is no reason why there rating goes down they need to start reading the thousands of questions and AMAs like ingress players had to when I started nomination and reviewing years ago.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

We are a part time wholly voluntary workforce.

If Niantic wants good quality, consistent reviewing it is their responsibility to make it easy and quick for all people to keep track of what are sometimes fickle changes that are sometimes culturally bizarre on a global scale.

You can get there by ensuring an ethos of education and Development via feedback.

You will never get there by punishing, putting people off and leaving them bewildered.

So A: the system is a mess anyway even with there pre approved nominations

B: it takes seconds to do a search of the forum and AMA

C: people are marking Trail markers as harassment, that's not a miss understanding of criteria that's an abuse of the review system.

It's gone beyond a lack of knowledge as it's all here its laziness

• DerWelfe2205-PGODerWelfe2205-PGO Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

Communication is key. Always and Everywhere. Niantic has some catching up to do on that.

It is but but they cant take all the blame for lazy reviewers not following criteria guidelines and marking something clearly a named Trail as harassment.

What niantic cant be excused for as I have said is that who ever marked it as abuse should not be reviewing

• AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

@Dazzlebot2000-ING It's for this trail, correct? Linking to this webpage should help your nomination. I can understand the frustration with trail markers because I've had some rejected, so all I can say is to keep trying. I always look for websites when nomination named trails if one is available.

• ninemst1-PGOninemst1-PGO Posts: 21 ✭✭

My believe: it’s not laziness but rather having a quick upgrade that is the reason why I think there is so much bad reviewing, someone looking for a quick upgrade doesn’t take the time to open a link, look at google streetview etc to make the right decision. Why should they if they just can click “nomination does not meet criteria” just based on the picture, especially when they don’t know what there reviewing actually is legit: trail marker.... -> just click a reason why it’s illegible ->next -> picture of church, playground, murals.....-> easy accept-> next ->.... This way reviewing is quickly done and they have there upgrade for there nomination.

Maybe this is also a reason why I read that some people who take reviewing seriously have there rate dropping. They look deeper into nominations and so have another opinion over it than the reviewers looking for a quick upgrade.

As a partional solution somebody has already oppert to have the rejection reason moved to the end of the nomination. This way this reviewers at least have to scroll over the extra information and maybe can this draw there attention to clarifications etc.

It could be easier to fix if the submitter had to select what the nomination is. If the reviewer doesn't match the selection it gives a way to adjudicate. Failing that we could all just stop reviewing and let niantic do the donkey work.