Why this graffiti in favor of cultures has been rejected?

Years ago, a municipal entity promoted a movement in favor of cultural diversity in the town.

The movement was called "Alcarràs has colours" in reference to the different races that coexist.

I don't understand why this graffiti has been rejected, it has the approval of the city council and is not vandalism, it is for a good cause.

On YouTube there is a video from 2015 about the creation of the project where you can see the graffiti and the collaboration of the city council appears.

In addition to this, there is an article about this project on the town hall's website.

Youtube video:

Comments

• Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Write the info you provided here in the actual nomination.

"A mural commissioned by the "Colours etc" movement and Alcarras town. Painted in 2015, by x and x." With correct facts naturally.

In the support text provide the link to town hall website about the mural/project. Offer the information and details, don't assume people to look for it. Some reviewers don't seem to realise clicking the title gives search results.

Photo, take it when it's not in shadow. Sorry, but now it looks dirty and vandalized with a quick glance. Also, use landscape mode, aka more mural, less parking lot.

Support photo, show (also) the pedestrian passage next to the mural. Now it shows mostly a parking lot, which might make it look like it's not safe to walk to it.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is was sponsored, then it is not graffiti. Graffiti is a form of vandalism.

• Mdesign-PGOMdesign-PGO Posts: 25 ✭✭

So should it be called a mural? In my mind I don't associate graffiti with vandalism.

I do not know if sponsored would be the correct word, it is a cultural association who, with the approval of the city council, did it.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Graffiti is vandalism, and calling any mural as graffiti will instantly torpedo the nomination's chances. Many reviewers aren't going to approve graffiti on the presence that it is not permanent and will be painted over whenever the property owner gets around to it.

• JohnnyAlphaCZ-INGJohnnyAlphaCZ-ING Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭

I think the best terminology in English would be 'commissioned' instead of 'sponsored' and 'street art' instead of 'graffiti'.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that most people in Spain think of the word "Graffiti" as vandalism.

Surely it's better to try to avoid any misinterpretation so it's good feedback the hint to avoid this word in case someone who thinks the same way reviews the nomination and focuses on the title.

• Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

@Mdesign-PGO "Graffiti is vandalism" is... very black and white thinking. Different types of graffiti do exist but, as WheelTrekker wrote, to avoid 1* voted because of one word, it's better/safer to use terms like mural or street art.

Personally I prefer mural, the (positive) nuance is the same in most languages. Street art is too much anglicism for my taste.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally if you write it as a grafitti in most people’s minds it is not permanent. If its a painting/mural it sounds more permanent than what graffiti would be. If you re submit and call it mural... it most likely will get passed. Graffiti is usually unwanted as well as a mural is usually paid for

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also the graffiti didn't shown in the Street view, right? You may need to create a photosphere for this one.

And you need to write that article link into supporting information, if necessary.