Business school wrongly rejected

I submitted a small business and management school in my neighborhood.

Description (translated): "Postgraduate center associated with the Miguel de Cervantes European University with a variety of business courses, human resources, marketing, etc."

Additional info given: "It is important to highlight the higher education centers. located in a wide pedestrian area. postgraduate center near Chamartín station. easy pedestrian access.

This was the rejection email I received:

"Thank you for nominating Escuela de Negocios y Direccion on Nov 9, 2020. Upon review by the Niantic community of players, we regret to inform you that this nomination is ineligible.

This nomination has been rejected due to the following reason(s):

Nomination does not meet acceptance criteria, The real-world location of the nomination could not be confirmed to have an acceptable pedestrian pathway leading up to it, The real-world location of the nomination appears to represent a generic store or restaurant."

For starters, Higher education schools (universities, adult-education centers, post graduate colleges, etc), like this one, do meet acceptance criteria. There's clearly abuse in that rejection reason. This is a private college that specializes in business, marketing, and management courses (mostly postgraduate), both in person and online.

The second rejection reason is that the " location of the nomination could not be confirmed to have an acceptable pedestrian pathway leading up to it". Well, if you spend more than 5 seconds checking the location, you can see the pathway that leads to the building from the sidewalk. The view from Google streetview is a bit blocked, but if you move just a bit you can clearly distinguish the building from the sidewalk:

Comments

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

What of the new criteria does it meet ?

Its a business management university.

Its not a great place for exploration, its not a place for exercise, its not a place to be social.

Other specific areas on the university campus may well meet one of the criteria, but just being a post graduate site isn't enough on its own.

• rugm02-PGOrugm02-PGO Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November 2020

I don't know why the wayfarer forum decided to cut half of my post. It's not a generic business, it's easily accesible from the sidewalk, the location is pretty clear if reviewers bother to check for more than 5 seconds.

Here's the location: https://www.google.com/maps?q=40.47301,-3.686089

There's no campus, it's a single building. Students go there to study and while there they socialize, as in any other college. Students interested in the business field gather there to learn and improve themselves. There aren't any other highr education places nearby.

Exercise? That would make almost everything not eligible. When you walk down that part of the neighborhood, you don't expect to find a business school there, which could be interesting for many players that are passing by.

None of the rejection reasons are valid. How can this nomination be improved? By the way, the new criteria are very broad, and eligibility becomes very subjective if people are to follow those guidelines.

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

it was hard for me to find this on street view, but i eventually did find the matching view from calle de mauricio legendre. you may want to use the google street view app to create a photosphere closer to it to be sure people see the placement. there is a little cap indicating an ineligible k-12 on the tutoring place nearby, so people may have been looking for excuses to reject it.

(i believe places of higher education still meet criteria both for exploration and being social - but good point - it doesn't specifically mention them now. but it libraries still count then i would think this would. so many questions.)

a note about the supporting information - don't put reasons why this is a good place to play the game. stick to reasons why the nomination is important and valuable on its own. maybe include a link to awards it has won, or to the connection to the university. don't count on reviewers to google the information on their own.

@cyndiepooh-ING , its easy to see why libraries would fall under the exploration category.

The category itself says "A place you love to venture out to; a destination or a placemark of local interest and importance and which makes our communities unique and shapes its identity. Somewhere or something that tells the unique story about a place, its history, its cultural meaning, or teaches us about the community we live in."

They are repositories of historical information which will teach about the community they in.

But a business management university, I fail to see that being used for teaching about the local community.

On its own as it has been presented there is nothing in the submission that meets the criteria.

If there is a dedicated social area i.e. student bar then that should have been submitted to fulfill the criteria.

For the OP to say that people just socialize while they are there isnt sufficent, the same could be said of any business or organisation in the world, a staff canteen at supermarket, a lunch hall in a factory, all areas where people just socialize while they are there, it doesnt make them worthwhile candidates. Just saying, well its a university so its social, is not sufficent

• rugm02-PGOrugm02-PGO Posts: 13 ✭✭

I never said they just go there to just socialize, I said it's something they do there (or do I have to explicitly explain what students do while in college?). It's a place where people interact, learn, improve themselves, and so on. The bad examples you give would not qualify as those would be part of generic businesses. People can gather in front of this college, there's lots of room and it doesn't bother the neighbors. You can go check it out if you are leaving the nearby train station.

nominations don't have to meet every single criteria up to the very last letter, there's always room for things a bit outside the short list.

and once again, all three of the rejection reasons are wrong.

The submission as you have presented it just does not meet any of the criteria you have failed to raisw any valid criteria that you believe it does meet.

To clarify the points you have raised

It's a place where people interact - not a valid criteria, people interact everywhere, sidewalks, carparks etc.

learn - in this instance about business management, not the local community or its history so not valid criteria.

improve themselves - again as with your learning argument, this is not a valid criteria.

People can gather in front of this college, there's lots of room and it doesn't bother the neighbors - so ? People can gather in a shopping mall carpark, doesn't make the space they gather important or valid, having space on its own is not a valid criteria.

A submission doesn't have to meet all criteria, but it does need to meet at least one, and you have failed to prove that it meets any criteria whatsoever

• Anlashok-INGAnlashok-ING Posts: 7 ✭✭

As I understand it, this is a satellite campus (so to speak) for a (relatively) local university/community college, correct?

In my opinion, therefore, it meets the criteria as "an institute of higher learning", no different from - for instance - the local Cornell Cooperative satellite facility (formally, The Cornell University Cooperative Extension of Ulster County).

People go there to learn, to improve their skillsets, and to socialize with others who share their interests.

I fail to see how this candidate is any different from (or less valid than) the aforementioned Cooperative Extension.

Previously you would have been correcr but now "An institute for higher learning" is no longer in the criteria.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

There here is the problem, "institute of higher learning" is no longer a criteria after the 3.1 criteria update. In order for something to be eligable it has to fit under one of the following criteria:

1. A great place for exploration: A place you love to venture out to; a destination or a placemark of local interest and importance and which makes our communities unique and shapes its identity. Somewhere or something that tells the unique story about a place, its history, its cultural meaning, or teaches us about the community we live in.
    2. A great place for exercise: A place you’d go to get some fresh air, stretch your legs, or exercise. Places that encourage walking, exercising, and enjoying public spaces. Or something that teaches or encourages us to be our healthiest selves.
    3. A great place to be social with others: A favorite gathering place for friends or strangers alike, where you can share a drink or meal, be entertained, or watch public life happen. Or something that draws us together to share an experience in a locally and culturally relevant way.
  • Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Places of worship fall under "exploration," I don't think it's a far stretch that many colleges and universities could also qualify under "A great place for exploration - of your mind." Certainly not all colleges and please let's stop with generic college dormitories and signs for every building on campus, but I see little issue in accepting most places of higher education & learning.

I'm not familiar with this college building, @rugm02-PGO. I would encourage highlighting some things the school is known for in the description rather than just saying what classes it teaches like a brochure. Maybe for supporting, I would lead with explaining in your words values higher education provides and the benefit this particular center provides its community.

Pedestrian access may be people who already would have rejected but found your "easy pedestrian access" erroneous. I do usually say something like "...supporting photo shows both nearby intersection signs to help confirm location provided as well as ample sidewalks to promote safe pedestrian access to this building."

I still fail to see how a university, especially in this case being one about buisness management, being placed under exploration.

The definition they use for exploration is

"A place you love to venture out to; a destination or a placemark of local interest and importance and which makes our communities unique and shapes its identity. Somewhere or something that tells the unique story about a place, its history, its cultural meaning, or teaches us about the community we live in."

Churches have strong cultural and, usually, historical meanings.

A new build university for business management has neither of these.

I can't see one aspect of the exploration criteria that this submission meets

• Anlashok-INGAnlashok-ING Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November 2020

If you truly don't understand how business management affects communities, then might I suggest you investigate the Enron scandal? (It's a classic example of how incredibly poor management caused significant disruption to several communities.)

Or perhaps the activities of one Bernard Madoff might be more to your liking; again, poor management that devolved into criminal enterprise which had serious repercussions for several communities.

I dare say a school of business management would likely explore both of those incidents as examples of What Not To Do.

• donandlan-PGOdonandlan-PGO Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Hello @Anlashok-ING ,

I appreciate your interest in creating more wayspots, but as has been mentioned, institutes of higher leaning are no longer explicitly identified in the New Criteria. This specific graduate level business management satelite campus presents not significantly different than a marketing firm or accounting office.