[Known Issue] Delays in Upgrades

Comments

• DanielS1899-INGDanielS1899-ING Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited April 2020

How is it possible that a nomination made on 2020-03-29, which got an upgrade one day later, is still in Queue, but a nomination made on 2020-03-31 (same city) without an upgrade is now in voting?

As someone with a onyx recon upgrades are my only reason to review. But with upgrades not working, I have no reason to review any more nominations.

• SoziSozi Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

@DanielS1899-ING

I got the same thing some days before ... something with no upgrade came into voting .... theres always a factor wich allows not upgraded stuff to come into voting .... but this can take many many months to get accepted without voting ... so no panic! normaly your upgraded stuff shall be faster anyway even when its still in queue now!

at the moment i think niantic is looking about very old submissions with upgrades which stuck in queue .... there seems generally a problem with upgraded stuff somehow ... I just can tell that something happens i got so much percants for upgrades and a very old submission came into voting and got accepted in less hours.

• Chepee07-PGOChepee07-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭

any update about this issue @NianticCasey-ING

I edited title and description and nothing still on queue status

yea wanted to know ... i was abel to upgrade 3 things today but nothing, even the old submissions, nothing with upgrade come into voting.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,535 Ambassador

Hi @NianticCasey-ING, @NIAPooja,

A lot of people around my communities are reporting a large influx of accepted (and, well, denied) nominations. Some change is pushing through old nominations, it seems, and many people are reporting receiving multiple upgrades a day.

I have received at least 3 upgrades in the last 24 hours. For a brief time (I reported it here), my upgrades were getting accepted within 12 hours of the upgrade applying. Now, my oldest upgrade is pushing 5 days of the upgrade being applied. I don't want to enter panic mode, but this is the exact thing that happened back in November, and the Wayfarer team is still trying to fix that. Recall that when I reported upgrades being unresolved for over a week, the response was that they take more than just "a few hours," and recall that those same nominations took over 3 months.

I'm probably complaining too early, but I'm seeing a repeat and already worried I'll be in here weekly, again, asking about broken upgrades.

So, anyways, is there anything changes in the back end that could have inadvertently hurt upgrades?

• 10RingsKvothe-PGO10RingsKvothe-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭

I have 2 upgraded submissions that are still "In Queue" 3 days after being upgraded. I keep track of photopshere views and one of them, interestingly enough, started getting significantly more views, on the order of magnitude I usually see once a submission goes into "In Voting." This makes me think that the submissions are still getting reviews but are somehow stuck with a "In Queue" status, preventing them from reaching a decision.

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

thank you @NianticCasey-ING for providing an upgrade before the weekend.this is very important for reviewers.

edited April 2020

@NianticCasey-ING thanks for the info. but anyway .... would be cool if upgraded things get faster in nomination as submissions with no upgrades .... it make me a big panic because i upgraded certain submissions first .... would be horror if the wrong subs get into game before the upgraded ones. iam just honest sry.

edit: the other problem is with the automatical distribution of upgrades ....

• Qwizical-INGQwizical-ING Posts: 91 ✭✭✭✭

@NianticCasey-ING can I just personally thank you for all you are doing to help limbo submissions.

I live in a "limbo" area just west of the Meridian in East London (yes, I live in a dense city, but East London is nothing like the density of the city).

Over the last week I've had over 30 submissions back from April and May 2019. Submissions i would have otherwise had to spend DAYS to earn agreements for in order to upgrade.

My oldest sub is now 9th June 2019 (exactly 300 days ago). But honestly knowing I don't have to upgrade everything to get it accepted is an amazing feeling.

Please continue working hard to help Wayfarers and Seers like me contribute to the portal network without having to rely on a backlog clear to get certain areas viewed by the system!

• RyuuVanDraco-PGORyuuVanDraco-PGO Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

Hope my stuff which is stuck in voting and also queue since january also moves at some point.

• PhilClane-INGPhilClane-ING Posts: 31 ✭✭

Thanks for the update!

From the two nominations I mentioned here, one was resolved now (the cross), both are upgraded. https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/comment/1205/#Comment_1205

A friend nominated another wayspot (tennis court) in this town (not upgraded) and that was also resolved in the last days. The second nomination mentioned in my post (church) is still in review.

My two upgrades didn't have any effect on the velocity of reviewing compared to a non-upgraded one. I really hope that this won't happen again after those recent changes.

hey wayfarer team!

i rly want to know something pls answer: does the upgrades didnt work atm or do you manually didnt allow upgraded queued submissions to come into voting? cant be that submissions from last 7 weeks and new ones since this weekend didnt come into voting !

• CNachtwolf-PGOCNachtwolf-PGO Posts: 18 ✭✭

The problem I see with this change is that Upgrades now will even more stay “In Queue, in countrys where are to too few reviewers” (now new Upgraded Nominations stay In Queue a 100%) cuz there’re not “old” enough.

So what’s the point in Upgrades now? Waiting till it’s old ...

The change to the Queuing logic feels more like a fix for the none upgraded ones (again - as always).

In my Opinion Upgrades = All

But it’s probably to early to see a change due to the huge backlog.

edited April 2020

when this is the case ... OMG. then all the time and interaction was .... dont wanne wait ages to get new stops or arenas.

how to solve it? we need more people who are able to "vote" so submissions dont stay in queue since months or years.

anyway the system, like everyone knows, has it problems .... i rly dont know how much votes something needs to get accepted or not ... is it like 10 or 100? or do you need a majority with pro or against it? whats when its always 50%/50% ? is ot in such cases in an endless voting?

Post edited by Sozi on
  • cmonineedaname-INGcmonineedaname-ING Posts: 15 ✭✭

@NianticCasey-ING

We are also now increasing the amount of the oldest submissions that are getting prioritized. This is why reviewers will start seeing a larger amount of submissions from Ingress Classic when reviewing.

You have NO IDEA how much this is appreciated. My area takes a year on average without upgrades, and I had over 250 pending until I ran out of things to nominate on my daily commutes. It was infuriating to see people start asking if Wayfarer is broken because theirs started taking over a week (without upgrade).

• VidarEagle-INGVidarEagle-ING Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

Are there any updates on these issues? I've run into the problem where I have to stop reviewing, because I really want my newest subs to go through first. These has been upgraded for a couple of days and are still in queue. If I now continue reviewing, I'll end up with some of my older subs beeing randomly upgraded and taking up the slot of my currently upgraded subs... 🤔 Removing the random upgrade and letting me save up some upgrades, would help with letting me continue to review...

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wanted to comment that ever since these changes were made, all of my edits have been pouring in. Edits that have been stuck since early 2018 all the way to some I've made a few weeks ago have finally been getting through. This is a huge positive change and am very happy that things are looking better.

• adler391-PGOadler391-PGO Posts: 65 ✭✭✭

One of my oldest submissions now got resolved, but all of my current submission are stuck in upgraded and in queue Status. They are all from March. It seems that in my area barely any submissions are resolved. And edits are not getting resolved at all. I‘m now waiting for years for an answer of the oldest edits.

• 18Wolf81-PGO18Wolf81-PGO Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited April 2020

But upgraded ones should be in voting as upgraded or it makes no sence to vote other stops for upgrades. There are upgraded ones from January in Queue and some from February which some in Queue and some accepted. Strange

Post edited by 18Wolf81-PGO on

same here, i guess they will only move in 2-3 weeks

• PhilClane-INGPhilClane-ING Posts: 31 ✭✭

My nominations went through one after the other :) Thanks @NianticCasey-ING and @NIAPooja for all your efforts and also thanks to the developers behind the scenes!

• @NianticCasey-ING @NIAPooja I had this issue back during Nov/Dec 2019 before I quit reviewing in January- Pokemon Go upgrades go into voting and reach a decision within hours of the same day but Ingress upgrades take days even a week to get into voting.

If it works for other accounts/games, surely you can just apply the same logic here? Or better yet, if it isn't working, just revamp the way the system chooses nominations to be displayed. It seems to have never worked properly anyway.

You talk of priority, why not just drop the # of acceptances/rejections needed for submissions older than 2019? That'll clear out all the backlog, and it should be a rolling window so technically anything from before April 2019 should also have reduced requirements.

Then, since it's lockdown and etc. why can't Niantic just manually review upgrades? Just one person/vote needed to get through. Most of these upgrades would be easy acceptances anyway - playgrounds, churches, sports pitches etc.

I only started reviewing again after 3 months because of the promise that things were fixed and were moving more smoothly through. If that isn't the case, I'll quit again. And I have a feeling you were forced to drop requirements because (AFTER RAISING THEM when Pokemon got subs/review access) nobody was reviewing. The whole affair is not thought out well at all.

We have to use other tools to make the dullness of reviewing go faster, and then we are penalized because there are so many terrible submissions that require 1 second to reject that the system makes us take at least 15 seconds to not get a cooldown. Instead of letting players learn what's a good submission or what's wrong, no messages but stock replies get sent.

If they are submitting water bottles, the message should say: "If you waste my time again, you will lose the ability to submit." If the satellite views are outdated, the message should say: "Please download Google Street View and submit a photosphere." otherwise they will NOT KNOW what's wrong. When they are only asked for 2 photos, do you know how **** irritating it is for the rejection reason to be "doesn't seem to be reflective of the real world location"?

There are enough good reviewers out there who CAN manually adress things that got into a bit of a kerfuffle.

There are enough good reviewers to Batch-Review Things with other tools than the standard-wayfarer Site.

There are enough good people out there these days who cannot do much.

There are enough good people out there who do not get paid these days.

Just add 1+1+1+1 and substract the 2019 revenue (894.000.000,-)

i just wanted to comment that the system works much better now and all my upgraded submissions gets into voting and (not all) becoming stops .... thanks for the good work niantic even when i wasnt believing in you (and never will 100% ;)) !

• ddm027-INGddm027-ING Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

I don't know why someone would "🙁Disagree" this comment. There are many trues being said here, the topic isn't for that matter but he isn't wrong...

• adler391-PGOadler391-PGO Posts: 65 ✭✭✭

@NianticCasey-ING Thank you for your afford. Nearly all of my upgraded submissions have been reviewed. The latest was from the 28th of March. The time from into voting to decision status was very, very short. 20 minutes I think was the fastest one. Even my edits were reviewed very quick. It started with old ones from October 2019 and today I got an answer from the 28th of March.

It seems to work very good, now.

besides the normal votings ... when you edit stop points or texts its very quick in times like this too! for me it seems that now less people then before beed to review the submissions ! its total significant!

• VidarEagle-INGVidarEagle-ING Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

I have 1 "available upgrade" and I created a new sub yesterday. 3-4 hours after I created the sub it still wasn't upgraded, so I set it to "Upgrade next" before I went to bed. When I checked now this morning it is still not upgraded...

Doesn't the "upgrades available" work at all?