Ineligibility of Photos Containing Personally Identifiable Information? Submitter only?

This artistic mural in a park came to me for review. It contains a photo of names, ages, and a class year. This strikes me as ineligible as the criteria is written. Many people on Reddit said they thought this rule was against submitters showing identifiable information, however I don't believe that's the case. All other criteria for this mural is met. It's unique, artistic, safe, in a park, ect., however posting PII from people who don't consent is legally....dubious. Most people on Reddit had no problem accepting this. We need this to be clarified.

Comments

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only Niantic can say the final word, but I would approve this.

I don't think that those names in a "monument" constitute PII, and besides that no one would be able to read them in the photo displayed in any of the games.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not have a problem with thjis as a submission.

• Thanks for sharing your valuable inputs, folks! Indeed, this image meets our acceptance criteria. It's an art which is placed on a public area and does not violate our guidelines.

If any of the personal information as shown in the photo are intentionally tagged or revealed then it would be considered as ineligible. I hope it clears it up.

• NianticGiffard, could you elaborate on when personal information makes it ineligible? The criteria for an ineligible photo in Wayfarer states, "Photo includes one or more of emojis, tags, or personally identifiable information such as codenames, personal names or initials...."

What you're saying sounds like you have to read into the intention of the submitter, which is impossible for reviewers. I think the criteria needs to be more clear.

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Re: the above; We know that "personally identifiable information" previously also meant if a license plate was visible, and generally those in the pictures are incidental and not those of the submitter.

(I also continue to maintain that if rejecting on the basis of a license plate, one on a non-private vehicle such as a city transit bus is not "personally identifiable".)

• I don't believe it makes sense for intentionality to be considered in this criteria. That doesn't make for clear reviewing practices. I know a lot of reviewing is a judgement call, however cutting out as much ambiguity as possible should be the goal. Names of famous people are obvious exceptions, which would be the name equivalent to the license plate of a transit bus.

If NianticGiffard can tell me the purpose behind the ineligibility of a photo being linked to "personally identifiable information such as codenames, personal names or initials", then I feel I can make the value judgement.

Or if someone can explain why the criteria section(https://wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/criteria#rejection) and the guidelines(https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/?s=how-to-review-wayspots&f=photo-guidelines&l=en&p=web) don't match and which I should follow.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic doesn't like to provide detailed explanations and they ask us to use our judgment. If they say "Name surname and age is OK because this is a piece of art", then other person would ask "is it OK to show also pictures?" "what if it shows the birthday instead of age?" "What happens if it's clearly visible?", ...

If they had exact answers then they would use a bot.

People in Reddit told you that it seemed OK, here a member of Niantic has told you that it's OK, you might never see another similar nomination, and in case that it shows up for you and you're not OK with it, then reject it or skip it, do whatever you think is better, but there won't be a perfect answer because the devil is always in the details.

• WheelTrekker, That's a good enough explanation for me. Thank you.