Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Definition of "generic business"

TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can Niantic give a specific definition of "generic business"? I ask because I keep getting a #1 rated Japanese statehouse and also featured on the WV state's tourism website rejected as a "generic business". Same goes for a tavern/restaurant that was featured in the local news paper and identified in an assessment and development study asking residence to name "specific places they would recommend to a visitor."

Answers

• YouLostAStar-INGYouLostAStar-ING Posts: 280 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought this was clarified recently that if it was in a guidebook as a recommendation that it was ok. In the U.K. we have the Good Food Guide of the best rated restaurants in the country as an example. I also plan on submitting a national newspapers #1 rated cafe in the country

• Perringaiden-INGPerringaiden-ING Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

I'd 5⭐ a submission for Fosters, as long as there wasn't any issues with the submission itself (photo, description, location).

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, I had both rejected multiple times even after the "clarification." It is largely because people believe that all businesses should be rejected as "Generic business" and that there are no exceptions. And any business that could be a valid Wayspot should become a sponsor instead.

As the supporting photo I sometimes have to take a photo of the guidelines and link to it in supporting. Keep trying to submit but sometimes it takes time for enough reviewers to fully understand the guidelines especially when there are changes or clarifications

• Seklai-INGSeklai-ING Posts: 54 ✭✭

Here, a lot of wayfarer review as "generic business" without check. Only seeing the place name at the photo. And if those whayfarer aren't from here, they  don't search anything about the "generic business"...

• Woodcat5-PGOWoodcat5-PGO Posts: 7 ✭✭

Hi,

we need a clarification about:

*TV channels stations

* Local Radio stations

because they gather people on social points and related

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW- don't give up!! I had a restaurant accepted in the last month on the FIRST TRY even (i was astounded, honestly). I linked to the awards it had won on their website. It should get through eventually once enough reviewers are educated about the guidelines. Very frustrating though, I know.

• kidcougar121-PGOkidcougar121-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭

Niantic needs a better more thorough test for reviewers. I think most businesses that are rejected are due to a lack of understanding by reviewers. They see, No generic businesses and believe "All businesses = Generic Businesses". I've had a ton rejected with no legitimate reason to do so. They need to ask many variety questions on sections. Is this generic? Is this not? Ask about 20 of those questions in the test per section of rules and understanding. And instead of failing ppl and that's all. There should be a review of their answers and why they were wrong.

• Dice3423-INGDice3423-ING Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

Per the rejection email. It is restaurants and stores that are generic businesses..... But has been clarified in January to accept these now.

• ChampReady-PGOChampReady-PGO Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited March 2020

Restaurants for me are generic business unless they mention something unique like it being a family owned local business or not a chain. You can also convince me if it has a special going on that’s a favorite amongst locals. Although since Starbucks is a sponsored waypoint and a chain then that makes a exception if someone is wanting a new Starbucks added.

• Irenicusss-PGOIrenicusss-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited March 2020

In the U.K. we have the Good Food Guide of the best rated restaurants in the country as an example

@YouLostAStar-ING So every restaurant in the Good Food Guide should be accepted? In Italy we have the Gambero Rosso guide which seems similar.

Can we consider eligible every restaurant with at least one Michelin-star?

Thanks in advance

I would say looking at that guide is a good place to start, if there’s a local restaurant in it then use the guide and local knowledge to really try hard to sell it

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Irenicusss-PGO

Can we consider eligible every restaurant with at least one Michelin-star?

Yes, anything with a Michelin Star is not generic and should not be rejected as "generic business". A restaurant with a Michelin Star also "showcases local flavor and culture and that make your city/neighborhood unique." But all to often, reviewers completely ignore that eligibility criteria.

• beastefan77-PGObeastefan77-PGO Posts: 6 ✭✭

This really needs clarification so reviewers can differentiate between Local hot spot and generic. I have numerous local hotspots to nominate that I know will be rejected by the reviewers in my community. I tested with one and it did not disappoint. Failed really quick.

See Below.

Title: Rising Star

Description: Restaurant, Grill and Hookah Lounge

Supplemental: A hyper-local spot which is a good nomination according to Niantic's guidelines. A popular local spot that I would take a friend visiting my community, it's a popular spot where locals gather and showcases our local flavor and culture and that make our country unique in the format of performances where local artists (Kes, Nailah Blackman, Prophet Benjamin, Voice, Crazy, Baron etc) perform for the many patrons on a weekly basis. If it wasn't a good nomination I would not have wasted my time with it. I hope that you will review it fairly as you would want others to review your nominations fairly.