How many Locations before a Business becomes Generic?

WreccaWund-PGOWreccaWund-PGO Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited December 2020 in Criteria Clarifications

A nomination for a grocery store came through my queue today. The business has a website listing their eight (8) locations, all in the same state. It was my first grocery store, so I just stopped and went back to my profile rather than Skip or rate it.

I know of restaurants that are locally owned with under a dozen locations in four or five cities that are already approved POIs.

So I wonder, how many locations are allowed before a business becomes generic? Does the business type (e.g., grocery, restaurant, gaming store, etc) matter?

Thank you.

Post edited by NianticGiffard on

Best Answers

Answers

• WreccaWund-PGOWreccaWund-PGO Posts: 6 ✭✭

For some reason, my common sense took the morning off when I saw the nomination. The thought "It's a grocery store!" never entered my mind.

I know that an ethnic grocery store in a small town or city could definitely be a valid POI. However an obviously American megamart (no matter the company) would require much supporting evidence.

Thank you for the feedback.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a business to be eligible, it has to be one of the following:

1. A locally owned place where people go to socialize (Criteria 3)
    2. In an architecturally interesting building (Criteria 1)
    3. Historically significant (Criteria 1)
    4. Mainly sells uncommon or unusual merchandise (Criteria 1)
    5. Uniquely themed for the area (Criteria 1)

Certain types of businesses can meet these more easily than others. A grocery store or supermarket is unlikely to meet any of these unless they are a specialty store.

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've successfully nominated the sign of a local business, where the sign itself was both unique and had artistic merit. In my nomination I'd made it clear that I was submitting the unique artistic sign, not the business itself (a tattoo parlour).