Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

Upgrades used without my consent

Upgrades are part of the Wayfarer system to reward and encourage players to review. I was recently working toward an upgrade and purposely did not select a nomination to upgrade next. I wanted to save my upgrade for future nominations.

Recently, I found out one of nominations was a duplicate. Since PoGo players can't see all the waystops, I understand this can happen. However, I was livid to find out that the duplicate had also used up my upgrade. I was furious to see my upgrade be used without my consent, and on a nomination that had already been rejected. (I even received the rejection email before I got the notice that my upgrade was ready.)

I hope you can understand how discouraging this is, and hope you can restore my upgrade. Also please note that I am posting my issue here because I could not find any way to contact Niantic through Wayfarer.

Tagged:
0 votes

Working as Intended · Last Updated

Comments

• Tyzef74-PGOTyzef74-PGO Posts: 0

Hello,

I’ve lost my last two improvements. They’ve been automatically assign to a proposition. For the first, I’ve think that I’ve made a mistake so for the next one I’ve been very careful and I lost it too.

I want my two improvements back ! I’ve spend a lot of time to have it, please help me.

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, there's no way to get upgrades (improvements?) back once they've been assigned.

If you don't want them to be automatically assigned, you'll have to choose a Wayspot (proposition?) and apply an upgrade next to it. This can be done on the Wayfarer Nominations List.

• 24601LM-ING24601LM-ING Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately, if you apply an upgrade to a submission but it's resolved before the upgrade can be applied, you don't get the opportunity to choose to assign the as-yet-unused upgrade elsewhere. Allowing unused upgrades to be reassigned if the target resolves before the upgrade applies would be a real QoL improvement.

• DogWalkerGreen-PGODogWalkerGreen-PGO Posts: 6 ✭✭

@NianticCasey-ING Would you kinda look at this; I don't know where this should go.

• sophielab-INGsophielab-ING Posts: 266 ✭✭✭✭

It's not a bug. In the help section, it tells you that if none are selected that it will apply it to one at random.

• That's right @sophielab-ING, you beat us to it!

@DogWalkerGreen-PGO If an Upgrade isn't redeemed, any random nomination will be auto-chosen for redemption, as mentioned on our 'Upgrades' article under 'Help' on Wayfarer. While we are sorry to hear that the auto upgraded nomination was marked duplicate, we will share your thoughts internally.

On a different note, you can always reach out to us here on the forum, through Twitter (@Niantichelp) or through our in-app support features in PGO & Ingress, for anything related to Wayfarer. Have a good day!

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for bringing this up internally. Many reviewers, including myself, dislike having to select an "upgrade next" and wait rather than just applying upgrades when we bank them. It feels like a holdover back when the only option was for an upgrade to be randomly applied. Being able to apply an upgrade after you receive it instead of randomly would be very helpful.

• ChampReady-PGOChampReady-PGO Posts: 29 ✭✭

I agree this could be useful and don’t see a problem with that being added.

• GENGOGAKUSHA-PGOGENGOGAKUSHA-PGO Posts: 11 ✭✭

I agree! Or, at the very least, a small info note about the practice of random selection could be integrated into the Nominations module of Wayfarer.

• 2BFChocobo-PGO2BFChocobo-PGO Posts: 4 ✭✭

i have the same issue, and now i cant delete the nomination

• Dxikwa-PGODxikwa-PGO Posts: 8 ✭✭

I have recieved a reply from niantic support saying this is not possible. I do not have screenshot evidence of when I recieved the upgrade, but I do have evidence of when the portal was accepted, which was the night before I got the upgrade. I logged into wayfarer in the time between the submission being accepted and the upgrade being recieved, but it the accepted submission was still upgraded.

The responses I have had have de-incentivised me from reviewing, as it is not worth my time to review submissions, only for upgrades to be wasted on my behalf.

I believe @NianticCasey-ING might be someone who could help with this issue. It's a real pain as I will be submitting things soon that I would really like to upgrade.

• ArabellaArdelia-PGOArabellaArdelia-PGO Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

Had you set it to "upgrade next" prior to it being accepted? If so, that might be what caused this.... I know I've selected "upgrade next" and had it resolve before the upgrade is earned before, as have some other people in here; and once you set what the next upgrade will go to there's no way to change that.

I had not set it to "Upgrade next" prior to it being accepted, as at no time when it was in voting or in the queue did I even have an upgrade.

Still no reply from NIA in any form...

• Wooorms-INGWooorms-ING Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

*Issue title:* Upgrade used automatically

*Description of the issue:* After reaching the threshold for getting one upgrade I went to my pending nominations and found that it has been used automatically on my last nomination without any action on my side.

*Device, OS:* N/A, Firefox browser is used to access Wayfarer on both Android and Linux

*Attachments:* N/A

• 3car-ING3car-ING Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

It was used as it meant to. If you want to hold upgrades withdraw every single submission and do not nominate any while you get your upgrades.

I don’t want to hold upgrades, I want to be able to choose which nomination I want to upgrade, as it was the case before, I don’t think this is the expected behaviour.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

From Help > Upgrades

You can apply an Upgrade to a specific Wayspot nomination from the Nominations page. If no nomination is selected, then the Upgrade will be applied randomly. If an Upgrade is earned and there are no nominations available, it's saved for later use. If you have unused Upgrades and make a new nomination, then the Upgrade will be applied automatically.

So this is working as intended.

So when do we have to choose ? Because I wasn’t aware I earned one, saw the little progression bar around my profile pic and went to see on which nomination to use it and it was already used. I have the feeling this is new, for all my previous upgrade I have been able to select a nomination. I also want to add that I earned the nomination after having submitted nominations, so it hasn’t been applied on a nomination I made after getting it, I had 4 pending.

Anyway if this is the expected behavior then I guess a moderator will have to move this post to a more appropriate section of this forum (do we have something for feature suggestion ? I can’t find a category to fit that in, maybe the General Discussion section ?).

You must choose which nomination gets upgrade before you get the upgrade. If you don't, it will be applied to a random nomination. That is how it has always worked since we were given the opertunity to choose which nomination received the upgrade. Before then, it was always applied randomly.

Oh okay I think I’ve been wrong the whole time, I was finding the "upgrade next" option weirdly worded but in fact what I was doing was choosing which one to upgrade once an upgrade will be available. Then the name is correct but all of this was pretty confusing. Thank you for the explanation.

Niantic closed my support request without saying anything in PoGo, so I'm back here again.

• FunneIWeb-INGFunneIWeb-ING Posts: 237 ✭✭✭✭

My upgrade has been automatically applied to a submission after I had withdrawn it.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/VVynqjSwLXzlcCssTAWxZtL2pKSyWbcchEuwxk20HOZDHDSrOTUqpJyAqoNOrim2NO8hqpGXvG8MTD84QDE0CCGIFJjR

Nomination ID: vP0LUucbdgI2zB5MPvAGQBN05rbubFjHGkngc5ib3Qw=

I had applied the "upgrade next" but had to withdraw it. At first I could not withdraw so I edited the text to tell reviewers to reject. After a few attempts I was allowed to withdraw but was not allowed to apply the upgrade next to a different submission. When my agreements reached 100 the upgrade was applied to the withdrawn submission. Please return it.

Also please consider...

1) Display the nomination ID on wayfarer so that we don't have to trawl through emails to find it.

2) Allow us to move the "Upgrade next" to another submission.

2) Don't force us to use upgrades. They are supposed to be a reward but often forced to waste them.

• PaCe90Foto-PGOPaCe90Foto-PGO Posts: 1

Hi,

I wanted to use one upgrade for my wayspot "So nah und doch so fern". But I did not had enough upgrade points. I guess yesterday I got 1 upgrade point and for no reason it got used by another wayspot called "Trafozentrum". But I did not used it for this by myself.

I wanna get my upgrade point back!

This is the intended behavior. From the help document on upgrades:

You can apply an Upgrade to a specific Wayspot nomination from the Nominations page. If no nomination is selected, then the Upgrade will be applied randomly. If an Upgrade is earned and there are no nominations available, it's saved for later use. If you have unused Upgrades and make a new nomination, then the Upgrade will be applied automatically.

• Tapumortal-PGOTapumortal-PGO Posts: 3 ✭✭

So, yesterday my upgrade percentage was up on 97%, and the day after in the morning my percentage suddenly dropped to 1% and on my profile it says upgrade redeemed. The thing is it was not possible for me to have selected or used the upgrade since I did not log in to wayfarer in between the time I saw it at 97% and to the next day.

Does the upgrade select itself randomly or was it a bug?

very sorry I'm new to wayfarer

edited November 2020

This is the intended behavior. It has been this way since we were given the option to pre-select which nomination would be upgraded next instead if it being randomly applied.