Chosen PokéStop does not become an Arena, New ???

2»

Comments

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

@AScarletSabre-PGO writes:

What's ludicrous is that people even had to use a different game in the first place. Where I live, we like to have gyms that benefit the most number of people, hence we want in areas people like to play, such as along event routes and in parks. We would come together as a community in order decide what the new gym should be. There was no "problem" where I live.

Perhaps not a problem for your local community, but it may have been a problem for Niantic.

There are no other instances in any of the games where users get a choice about which possible wayspots become visible in their game, or what category they fall in. There's no way to select inns, greenhouses, and fortresses in HPWU. There's was never an "official" way to select gyms in PoGo, but people reverse engineered the algorithm and started exploiting it.

It seems that Niantic wanted to favor "popular" wayspots for gyms and chose a poor proxy for popularity. It's often the case that a portal with the most photos and/or upvotes happens because it's someone's couch/desk portal and the opposing faction is trolling them by adding mediocre pictures, or a photo troll has uploaded a crappy photo and used multiple accounts to upvote it and local users are trying to eliminate the bad photo by collaboratively voting for better ones. Or... several other cases which have nothing to do with it actually being popular.

While it may have worked out that way for a while I doubt very much that Niantic intended for people to use it to pick out their gyms. It was always just a loophole, and that loophole sometimes caused problems for Ingress players. Niantic finally decided to close it, which I know is frustrating to people who think they should be able to choose their gyms but it's unlikely that Niantic ever wanted users to be able to do that.

• BochumJules-PGOBochumJules-PGO Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭

👍🏻 yes .....and if U take a secound or a third picture for a wayspot, Niantic is profing the picture before.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BochumJules-PGO Yep, Niantic accidentally created the problem. It seems they've fixed it now.

• BochumJules-PGOBochumJules-PGO Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭

This is not the first case, it happend the secound time ....

💁🏻‍♂️

• 52cucumbers-ING52cucumbers-ING Posts: 225 ✭✭✭✭

What relevance does this even have? Noone said anyone broke the TOS, noone said it was wrong to want a particular wayspot to become a gym. What people are saying is that there was a loophole which encouraged disruptive behaviour in a different game and that Niantic has now apparently closed that loophole.

Photo upvotes in Ingress was never meant to be used for this purpose, that should be blatantly obvious to anyone. Ingress was not created as a gym-selection mechanic for PoGo.

I get that you want some control over where gyms spawn and I applaud that people want to ensure gyms are accessible. By all means, work with Niantic for a proper mechanic for influencing that. But how it has worked so far has created issues in other places and has in many situations degraded the quality of Niantic's precious POI database. It should come as no surprise that they wanted to stop that.

If people aren't supposed to have an account for a game they don't even play, then how would they ever check, for example, if the Pokéstop nomination is potentially a duplicate?

This is a completely unrelated issue to the selection algorithm for gyms.

• AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

People seem to be blaming the players for something that is the fault of Niantic (assuming there is even a problem). That's all. People are trying to make the most of the games they play and Niantic should aid players when it comes to gym creation because it should mean more money for them.

My community made a mistake with the wrong Pokestop turning into a gym once, and that means that gym is not on our normal event route. Thus, that means less money spent on raid passes. In turn its less profit for Niantic. There are good Capitalist reasons for letting players influence gym creation.

Perhaps a new gym creation system could be "how many times players have interacted with a given Pokestop" . I don't see people offering solutions. Only people pointing their fingers at the wrong people.

Many people are lamenting the fact that Pokemon GO players would create an Ingress account purely to influence Pokemon GO yet many of these same people also lament when a Pokemon GO player nominatis a Wayspot that is already a Wayspot in Ingress and wastes the time of reviewers. So which is it? Should Pokemon GO players have an Ingress account or not?

What? Who said this? I've been looking pretty closely at this thread but there must be some deleted posts. All I've said is that it is very understandable why Niantic decided to fix this because it was causing problems. I've not blamed anyone for anything. You're building strawmen here. If you're not going to argue any of the points I made feel free to not quote my post.

And I'm saying I'm not exactly sure where anything truly 'game-breaking' is going on. There is inevitably some abuse, yet it appears to me there is some confirmation bias, jumping to conclusions and people are seeing a mountain where there isn't one. People see a worm has moved some soil around and they are like "OMG LOOK AT THAT HUGE MOUNTAIN RANGE THAT HAS BEEN CREATED!" I really don't see there is so much of an issue with regards to gym creation that Niantic needs to take any action (assuming they have).

There are definitely some people in my area who benefit from having a "step free" route for events, and there are other considerations as well. There are people on here like who always assume the worst intention, people that don't have faith in their fellow humans to ever do the right thing; one might even go so far as to say that this forum is rife with misantropes.

• Hydracyan-INGHydracyan-ING Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

Best new I had since 2016.

Thank you, Niantic.

Of course not. Why would you have to install another game to play other? Makes absolutely no sense! Niantic should either show all POI on the game or at the moment of the creation. If they don't want every POI to became pokestop, then use them for something else, like a small berry tree/**** that you can only use once a day. Everyone will be happy.

• KetaSkooter-INGKetaSkooter-ING Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

There are a lot of issues with POGO gyms for placement that aren't issues for Ingress. Ingress its extremely rare to have a group over 8 players at one spot and that's even very rare. With go i've seen 40+ at gyms. The space needed to allow 8 people to play is very different from the space to allow 40 people to play.

Niantic should've made a better system than Ingress portal score or randomness to select the gym placement

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far I haven't seen any proposal of a better system that can't be abused by multiaccounters.

It's almost like... Niantic should have come down harder on multiaccounters a long time ago. People are even filming themselves doing it because they know nothing will happen and then when other people see that they start doing it as well.