Query/Appeal - Noticeboard marked as duplicate

Hi All,

First time user to the Community so not entirely sure this is the right approach. But I'm looking for clarity and understanding on why a recent upgrade was marked as duplicate.

The best I can tell is because it is mixing it up with another noticeboard which is at a different location and has a different purpose. The email you receive doesn't give you any information about what the other duplication is - which doesn't help.

My rejected nomination was a 'Church Noticeboard' located on actual churchyard which contains information about their services, community events and Covid related stuff.

The 'Cemetery Noticeboard' (don't know who submitted that) is a portal in Ingress but does not appear in Pogo. This is located on a plot of land (i.e. separate cemetery) away from the Church. It tells you about the opening and closing times of the cemetery as well as polite notices for maintaining the area.  

You can zoom into each noticeboard to see the content as they are very different.

Cemetery Noticeboard:

Church Noticeboard:

Note, Street View for Church Noticeboard may be out of date so have attached the photos taken at the venue.

The Church actually has three noticeboards on the Church premises but none of them appear in Ingress or Pogo which is why one was submitted.

Finding no further information about why the duplicate decision was reached, I believe the marked duplication was in error and would like to appeal against it.

Thanks for your time and any information you can provide.

Merry Christmas one and all.

Comments

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Install Ingress and check the portals around the zone to find out which one contains your photo.

It doesn't really matter, but at least you'll know if your guess about the other notice board is correct. In that case you can send a new nomination that shows clearly that it's a different PoI.

Niantic won't approve any nomination even if it's been rejected for the wrong reasons or incorrectly marked as duplicate, all that you can do is request the removal of the duplicate photo if that makes you feel better, but in the end you must send a new nomination.

• donandlan-PGOdonandlan-PGO Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Your submission was erroneously marked as duplicate. It is not the same sign and there is no hidden waystop that matches you submission. Marking it as duplicate is purely the case of LAZY reviewers.

https://imgdash.com/image/KJ3Fm

Your submission is the red x. It isn't duplicated by an existing wayspot or within 20m of an existing wayspot, HOWEVER, your submission is ineligible for lacking pedestrian access. You could submit one of the other similar church signs (the orange Xs), the one at the corner of Church Rd & B5202 or the other at near the bus stop on Church Rd. They both have sidewalk access. The bus stop sign is very close to being 20 meters from both the cemetery sign and the church wayspot, but might squeeze in there. The corner sign is more than 20 meters for sure. Both are in an occupied cell, so either would be a great added Ingress portal, but neither would appear in pokemon go. 

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the Chruch is already a POI then the "Church Sign" would be considered ineligeable and marked as a duplicate of the existing Waypoint at the Church.

Once again, you appear to be making comments without bothering to look at the actual details. This isn't a church sign. It's a village sign on church property that lists days and times of services, as well as special community events.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disagree. Many signs for churches list the times of services and name of the church leader; that doesn't mean that they meet criteria as separate items from the church. The fact that it has two spots for notices (which appear to be used for advertising the church itself or church events) also wouldn't be enough for me to call it a "community notice board." I would mark this as a duplicate of the church.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a Church sign. It's in St Marys Churchyard. It's 30m from the existing St Mary Church waypoint, so only a short distance away, so it won't / can't be a Waypoint in its own right. All of the text on there, and the two notices, refer to Church things. Church sign - duplicate of the Church POI.

(Looking at the location, even if it were to become a Waypoint it would not appear in Pokemon as there are already Waypoints in all the S17 cells it could appear in.)

• Isitmoi-PGOIsitmoi-PGO Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

Thanks for your post.

Regarding the lacking of ‘pedestrian access’, this corner noticeboard (and its content) is fully legible from both sidewalks on Church Lane or Tithebarn Road, you really don’t you need to be on the church premise (churchyard) to see this nomination. But that’s irrelevant anyway, it’s a public church anyway if you know what I mean. Plus a Grade II listed building.

Not sure I agree that this is a Church Sign. This is definitely a noticeboard but the semantics on this thread seems to be over whether or not this is a ‘Community Noticeboard’ or ‘Church Noticeboard’.

Taking the covid virus pandemic into consideration that has impacted most mass gathering events, not just this Church, granted the most recent notices (and lack of events and activities) do seem to be more ‘Church related’. However, that is a moot point as I can find a old photo (or wait until the pandemic has gone) for them to advertise the next Zumba class, Weight watchers (Slim World) or other community event again.

This snapshot in time and what is happening in the world doesn’t help. However, I can assure people this nomination was in good faith (no pun intended).

When you say ‘Church Sign’ - this is what I think of as a Church Sign: http://bit.ly/34JBQ4V

Thanks for your post.

So are we saying the actual marked duplication reason here is because of the Church POI (as you would have done) or is it because of the ‘Cemetery Noticeboard’? This is the confusion of where we are. Just need clarity on what my submission was a duplicate of? This is the head scratcher as can’t resubmit without knowing what the issue was to begin with otherwise wasting my time and left feeling even more frustrated.

Also, can you give me an idea of what you would class as a ‘community noticeboard’? This would also help.

Thanks for your post.

Ingress shows the ‘Cemetery Noticeboard’ as ‘St. Mary’s Knowsley Village notice board’, see attached screenshot.

The design of the noticeboards are very similar, wonder if this or the keywords in the Ingress Portal triggered the duplication?

Hi.

I deliberately chose this noticeboard nom because it was not in an occupied cell. So if it did get accepted it would appear in Pogo (and Ingress obviously).

The notices content - that’s not a problem. Will get them to update the noticeboard with other non-church related activities again (would something like cyber security notices or adverts for digital skills training for older generation distinguish this as a ‘Church Sign’ in your opinion?)

But we are definitely sure my nom was marked as a duplicate of the Church Wayspot or of the ‘Cemetery Noticeboard’ (which at first glance looks the same board design)?

Again, I have no further clarity on the reason for the duplication. Best guess is the Cemetery Noticeboard is called ‘St. Mary’s Knowsley Village notice board’ in Ingress so it was flagged as the same for some reason, see attached screenshot.

Sorry, just looked again at your marked location - that’s a different noticeboard entirely.

My one is located on the corner of Church Lane and Tithebarn Road (see map co-ordinates of my original post to avoid any confusion). You can see it is unoccupied.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're looking at the Intel website, but that only shows the main photo of each PoI.

You must use the Ingress game, and then click on the portal to view the whole set of photos belonging to each PoI.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

As has been stated just now by @WheelTrekker-ING, you would need to open the Ingress app to check what Portal your photo ended up attached to in order to see for sure where it was duplicated to. Frankly, I don't see this as being eligible, regardless of what's displayed in the advertising slots. It's not much different from a sign that has marquee letters on it that advertise messages or upcoming events. Those slots could be used for community events, but the primary purpose of the sign as a whole is as a placemark/advertising for the church.

These are the kinds of dedicated "community noticeboards" that I think would most clearly meet the "exploration" criteria (full disclosure, the last one is from my own accepted nomination):

Unfortunately, Wayfarer has been pretty consistent with the definition of pedestrian access. Visible from across the street isn't considered safe pedestrian access:

• Safe Pedestrian Access denotes the player is able to access the object in question by walking up to it without putting themselves into potential danger. Objects in pedestrian areas, along sidewalks or paths or in parks/fields are great examples of eligible locations. Ineligible examples include objects on roundabouts or in traffic dividers that do not have a sidewalk/pathway leading to it. 

Because the only way to walk up to the community board in question is the cross the street without a crosswalk and stand in a road, it doesn't have safe pedestrian access.

You could access it from the cemetery, but then you run afoul of the newly clarified cemetery rules for as sensitive locations:

Rejection Criteria

• Sensitive locations like gravestones (not associated with a significant/historical figure) and cemeteries

Again, I believe your nomination is an eligible community notice board. Your nomination should not have been marked duplicate. careful reviewers would have seen the matching grave stones on the corner you placed it as seen in your submission photo. Lazy reviewers likely looked at the image without reading the details, and saw the similar image in the cemetery sign, hit duplicate, and moved on.

Your nomination is a tricky submission for many reasons, stubborn lazy reviewers included. Sorry and best of luck.