19 nomination reviewed. No one from city where I play

19 nomination reviewed. No one from city where I play. 

I play in Lipetsk. I don't care about place in other cities especially in another continent. I don't know this cities enough to review. 

Why would I vote for this nomination?

Comments

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

thats normal. I am getting nominations from 10 different countries. If you only get POIs from your hometown, every submission would propably get accepted.

• NeohBel-PGONeohBel-PGO Posts: 52 ✭✭

Well, you probably happen to speak Russian while reviewers from other countries don't. You might also have some more cultural similarities than I would with the person that nominated this POI. That would make you a better reviewer than someone from another country.

• TheAuraStorm-INGTheAuraStorm-ING Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

You don’t just review local candidates, otherwise everyone would just 5* everything for more local wayspots. I’m from the UK - a relatively small country, it was after a couple of hundred reviews that I saw something relatively local.

Post edited by TheAuraStorm-ING on
  • spiesr-INGspiesr-ING Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

You receive submissions to review from both your local area (which for you is the area in blue, not just your town) AND from the entirety of your country, including overseas possessions.

If you don't care about improving the Wayspot database and are just in it for personal gain then frankly you shouldn't be doing Wayfarer.

• Alsauruspink-PGOAlsauruspink-PGO Posts: 10 ✭✭

My city not small. > 500,000

I have more then 10 nomination that made in summer. I stopped making new in august. I stopped reviewed in september.

Our local players in the same situation. As I know in other cities the same. No one interested to review hundreds of strange nominations

Niantic has to prioritized local nomination.

And by the way most of nominations in other cities doesn't appear on google street or satellite. So I can vote only on trust to players in this situation.

• Kermakko-PGOKermakko-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭

I don't speak Russian and I get tons of review request from Russia. What should I do with them, as I can't skip most of them?

• Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use translator tools. Not perfect, but it helps.

Google translate and Wayfarer+ plug-in (make a websearch for that) are the usual choices.

• BleedBoss-PGOBleedBoss-PGO Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

How this post and the one below got 3 Likes and 4 Insightful is beyond me.

With the vague criteria and guidelines that leave most of the decision making "up to the best judgement" of reviewers, rating something not from your country just because it's "close by" is a two edged sword.

You speak of cultural similarities, but a fish and a whale both live in the sea, yet are completely different. We have the same issue here, and prioritizing local submissions isn't something as farfetched as you make it out to be. You speak of "potential abuse because you can just 5* anything in your town", yet completely ignore the fact that a SINGLE multi accounter can reject a submission, local or non-local, given said person has enough accounts reviewing that sub.

The recent influx of Abuse posts should also be a clear sign that Abuse will exist no matter what, until it's properly punished.

As a prime example of why remote reviewing can be dangerous, me and a few other local players reported a POI in a roundabout, next to a Tobbaco factory, meaning it's constantly busy, with no crosswalks leading to it. Should be an easy judgement call right? Apparently not, as many people thought the crosswalk might be washed out, including Moderators. Someone even stated that in their country, there are laws where that same roundabout would be acessible due to peons having priority over cars in certain areas.

Thats all fine and dandy, but where i live, those rules don't apply. Cars have priority unless there's a crosswalk, and jaywalking is against the law. So the POI still remains, because of wrong judgement calls from nonlocals, versus facts and reality experience from locals.