Angel Statue - Help me improve?

Title: リュートを奏でているチェラブなエンジェル

Description: Cherub angel playing a lute

Picture: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Qz-ZP2PYXsiO2MJtJPgsHanq5dRPvJhwuwlika2eFSrxXC3Lqj3Q1gLkrPhnSDTWw2cQD44_tVd8WVZEQVAaY2GVy_QM_b9MJXeXnlzFdQ=s0

Supporting: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/GkMvnfxDBSaoSzH9_YamoHaqZwGZBt5rIMZHURuZhgZgkuzpKNAwVyCg2SLpWioEWUyrJHb15DtxqodMg2feRVBSO0IXjcdtlY0jDUpmFw=s0

Is this allowed under the new/revised criteria? I'm not even sure what good or bad anymore.

It's an angel statue, as the description says, and it's located next to an apartment complex in a garden that's directly in front of the sidewalk.

It was rejected once already for:

* The real-world location of the nomination appears to be on private residential property or farm

* Nomination does not appear to be permanent or appears to be a seasonal display that is only put up during certain times of the year

* Nomination does not meet acceptance criteria

But the first thing is simply not true (should be obvious from the pics and street view that it's by an apartment with plenty of easy access), and the 2nd thing is not true either (you can see it on street view but only JUST barely).

My new supporting image has a shot from Google Street View in the corner, where I'm trying to highlight the area to look. I know it's hard to see against the silhouette of the large rock, but it IS there. It's just partly hidden because of the lower camera angel from the Google car and all the extra leaves present when the street view image was taken.

What should I change? Or should I give up on this one?

Comments

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

This doesn't look like a particularly good nomination, as it seems like the kind of statue you could go to a garden store and buy. If it's an original sculpture, you would need to provide evidence of that. (Also, that looks like a violin, not a lute.)

• Ark4242-PGOArk4242-PGO Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

I'm sure it's not hand carved, but it's not all that common to see this in Tokyo. You might be right in other countries - something similar to this might be fairly easy to get from a garden store anywhere. But people don't generally have gardens, let alone angel statues in them in Tokyo.

Still, it's just a garden decoration. Simply being unusual in its location doesn't mean it meets criteria for acceptance. If it were original art, you'd probably have something, but simple decorations generally don't meet any criteria.

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only way I would submit this is if there was something historical about it. From this view it’s just a cherub. Perhaps, where is it located? Is it permanent or could it be moved from where it is located? Do you happen to know the owner? Maybe they could know more information about it. If I can help in any way possible I am more than happy to help you figure this out. Thank you for the question as well!

• Ark4242-PGOArk4242-PGO Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

A suburb in Tokyo. It's been there for years. As long as I've lived here. Anything could be moved, but that doesn't make anything temporary according to the Wayfarer criteria. Don't know the owner, I don't live in that apartment. It's not even on the way from my apartment to the train station. But angel statues are not common in Japan.

There's certainly going to be hundreds of times more Torii than angel statues, and Torii even get their own category in the menu to describe what things are when reviewing, despite every single Torii being basically the exact same red wooden poles. Honestly, if I was living in America, I don't think I'd submit this, but given how unique it is for this area, I feel like it's something interesting to draw people's attention to.

My biggest concern is that I'm not sure if statues or art at all, in general are acceptable according to the new criteria Niantic posted now. They seem to want one of 3 things:

• A great place for exploration
    • A great place for exercise
    • A great place to be social with others

And even the largest most unique hand-made statue doesn't fit any of these the more I think about it. Unless I'm reading into "exploration" too much, because it seems to be about nature trails and parks.

The second example under Exploration is "Unique Art or Architecture." An original, non-mass produced statue would fall into that category.

I could see it being acceptable. Maybe try multiple times in different ways

• phi2458-PGOphi2458-PGO Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

A mass-produced object could be eligible in certain contexts. For example, a basketball goal is mass-produced, but the court is not. The basketball goal could be eligible as a placemark of the court. Similarly, a seesaw could be eligible as a proxy of a playground.

The same logic also applies to this case. The angel statue is mass-produced, but the small yard is not, and it perfectly meets the criteria “a great place for exploration.” In my opinion, the statue would be eligible as a proxy of the small yard.

By the way, the reason that a Torii is eligible is its cultural value. As a result, whether it is unique or not does not matter.

There is a post about this topic in criteria clarification: https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/11390/mass-produced-but-eligible-objects