Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Bridge Plaques

I've seen an uptick for bridge plaques in Wayfarer lately, and I'm unsure how I should be voting on these.

The submitter will usually describe them as a "dedication plaque", but it isn't a dedication in that it's dedicated to a person, or to commemorate a momentous occasion, other than the bridge opening (just one of those confusing Wayfarer words, I guess)

I'm talking something similar to this:

It's just a plaque that says "the bridge opened x amount of years ago, here are the government officials at that time".

How have you all been voting on these plaques? Are these acceptable candidates (provided there's pedestrian access)?

Best Answers

Answers

• Whoab0t-PGOWhoab0t-PGO Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

The one I posted was just an example - the ones I see do not include "memorial bridge" or specific name - just "x street bridge". I didn't realize this picture had in it.

But to clarify - it's simply like, "Main Street Bridge. Dedicated 2003. Here's the government officials, etc etc".

• JSteve0-INGJSteve0-ING Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭

Like this, but for a bridge?

I would still say it is good. How many bridges around your town have these types of plaques?

• Senmana-INGSenmana-ING Posts: 129 ✭✭✭✭

I don't tend to rate them well if it's just a generic bridge plaque. It would depend on the description/supporting statement whether it got rejected for doesn't meet criteria or a 2/3* rating though.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like bridges and infrastructure. When they have a dedication/opening plaque like this, it helps pinpoint a location on the bridge to place the waypoint. Bridges help keep people connected by allowing a sort of movement towards them, so any monumental infrastructure is appreciated. Candidates such as road upgrade plaques or bridges with a sort of historical value or a noticeable monument, or even named after a significant person would need a succinct description to win me over.

I think the whole 'footbridge' influx caused a spillover into the general perception of bridge candidates being eligible. I'm highly likely to accept a bridge if it has a great plaque (whether it's just a council opening or the year of construction), but am very unlikely to accept DMR plaques (since they are very much mass-produced), unless the bridge itself is significant.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be more likely to accept a bridge plaque than just a bridge tbh

• JSteve0-INGJSteve0-ING Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭

I just got this to review.

@MidnyteFM-ING Is this the type you are asking about? If so, this has very little information.

• NorthSeaPoet-INGNorthSeaPoet-ING Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not every bridge meets criteria and if the plaque is something like "This is Bridge X" or "If there has been a road accident on this bridge, please contact this number" then they don't meet criteria either.

• ddm027-INGddm027-ING Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I don’t think comments like this help on anything, please don’t.

About these plaques, there are many in the USA, but here in Brazil for example they are pretty hard to find, even if they exist they are mainly “hidden” per say.

But as already said, yea it needs to have historical or cultural value, every bridge it is a structure to help move around, same to roads and sidewalks, but we don’t submit them since they are everywhere. For me is more selling the submission rather than actual knowledge of the place, but if needed we can easy google about it and gather information before making the decision, but the majority won’t do that, since there are lot of people rushing votes 🗳

• Whoab0t-PGOWhoab0t-PGO Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

Similar to that, yeah. The ones I see aren't in dedication to a person or event - just the street name, year, and government officials.

I hesitate to say it demonstrates historical value - just showing the year isn't really historical, I suppose.

Sort of. My town, I feel like every traffic bridge (not footbridges - these are car and truck bridges) has one of those. So maybe four. The plaques are small and just says when the bridge was done. My town doesn't have any in dedication to people or events either.

In any case, I tend to 1 or 2 star these as generic plaques. Looks like most agree with that sentiment. A plaque isn't historical or culturally important just by it being a plaque.

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that a plaque is generally a good nomination, the example posted by @MidnyteFM-ING would be acceptable as it shows the name of the bridge, important dates and people relating to the bridge giving historical significance as to when the bridge was officially opened/dedicated. Generally plaques like that are the equivalent of foundation stones or other building commemoration plaques and are good nominations.

I would vote a bridge plaque more favourably than just a generic bridge on its own.

Below are two of my examples of bridge plaques. The first actually being a point of interest for historical significance as it is a location that the pioneers of the land had visited. The second is basically the same as what was posted in the first post of this thread.