Park v Playground

If a park is already a pokestop can you nominate a feature in the park, such as it's playground?

Or would this be considered a duplicate?

Comments

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the other feature is valid on its own you can nominate it.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally, the two are seperate. But I have seen cases where someone submited a "park", but used the playground as the physical feature. At that point, I would mark it as a duplicate. The same would go for a "park" that is nothing more than a playground.

• thegathaterra-PGOthegathaterra-PGO Posts: 108 ✭✭

The parks photo is the parks name on a sign.

The pokestop is not near the playground

• Rostwold-INGRostwold-ING Posts: 172 ✭✭✭✭

Well, you can nominate anything, it's getting it accepted that's the issue :-)

I tend to say yes to these, because otherwise the nomination order becomes a limiting factor. If we disallow things inside other things, but allow things containing other things then nominating the outer one first gives one valid stop, but nominating the inner one gives two.

• CopperChick-PGOCopperChick-PGO Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

Playgrounds, sports fields, rules and regulations signs, art, and ramadas all qualify in parks. And yes I have seen people take a picture of a whole park and either a ramada or playground are in the photo so reviewers assign it to either the ramada or the playground. Just make sure you become familiar with cell placement so you can maximize the locations you get in whatever game you play. For example in Pokemon you can only have one POI per S17 cell, but Ingress and Wizards don't follow the cell rule - they follow a distance from other points rule. See the link I provided about using S cells for Pokemon. And remember if you are submitting for Pokemon, just because you don't see that item in-game doesn't mean it isn't already in the system and being utilized for Wizards and Ingress. I have a former Ingress player that I consult in dense areas to make sure the cell is empty before I submit in those areas. A small park may only take up one S17 cell, where a large park could have dozens of S17 cells.

We can only hope that some day Niantic gets rid of the S17/S14 rules in Pokemon and that Pokemon players will get access to a map that shows all the points, like Ingress players. I refuse to create an Ingress account just to get access to the map that we should all have as submitters!

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CopperChick-PGO It would be nice if the PoGo submission process gave people a too-close warning during the submission workflow and showed them what it was too close to even if it wasn't visible in PoGo. This would reduce the burden on the Wayfarer system and save frustration from submitters.

I don't think it would be good to have the full database in PoGo. Ingress does not have spawns and it's rare for things to be dropped on the ground so there are far fewer overall click targets. HPWU is more dense than PoGo and I'm constantly mis-tapping and getting traces when I want an inn or inns when I want a trace or portkeys when I want...

(I play all three games to some extent.)

I knew someone who played all 3 (the person who helps me with cell placement). He quit playing Ingress recently and on Friday he told me it was because he was adding POIs to make all the games better, but in his area the new stuff happened to fall in another teams territory. He said his team members were upset with him because he was giving the other team an advantage.

But I didn't really mean a map in-game. I mean a map like the one Ingress players use that can be used in all games. We shouldn't have to create an Ingress account to see the map of what waypoints exist in the system.

I was trying to comfort an Arizona State University player one day because he submitted an artistic bench that was not in Pokemon and it was denied for being a duplicate. I saw him post about it on Discord so I messaged him to clarify I was one of the reviewers and yes it was already in the system. He was arguing with me no it wasn't - I was arguing believe me it is already in the system. That isn't fair - Pokemon players get so few nominations.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CopperChick-PGO That's a relatively short-sighted perspective. It may be that the area getting more portals is currently controlled by the other faction but these things change regularly. I have seen large areas be changed from being dominated by one faction to being solidly controlled by the other, and then change back a year or two later.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

This wouldnt work well only for the simple aspect that people would then move the location to an incorrect location if the spot they wanted to place is “too close to another”. Which niantic considers abuse and already doesn’t want.

edited January 2021

Don't Ingress players already do that though? The one I know does that all the time and his review score is always lower than mine. I have been at the highest level since a month after I started (January or February 2020) and he is always in the middle range. He will send me screenshots of changes he is requesting and ask me to move them to a new cell if I review them. In some cases I don't mind, if the item in the nomination is still in that cell. Others I have a problem with moving. But I do have to throw in he plays all 3 games and is not just an Ingress player.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

you are supposed to put the nomination in the most accurate location possible. If you are moving it to get it into a new cell or to keep distance and the new location no longer is accurate that can be abuse

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photographed and submitted the playground today. Fingers crossed it goes through. I found the True/real location on Google maps. So it should be all legit

Playground is now an active stop. Park sign was upgraded to a gym.

Win, Win.

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021