Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Bridge in the park clarification

MortalXa-INGMortalXa-ING Posts: 27 ✭✭

We know that bridges that are part of a trail are allowed.

But what is the situation with pedestrian bridges in parks? There are many city parks with little or no wayspots, these parks are usually not part of a officially trail. Can pedestrian bridges be accepted in parks?

Tagged:

Answers

• AgentB0ss-INGAgentB0ss-ING Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MortalXa-ING i would lean toward yes as long as it’s safe pedestrian access. It has the same spirit trail bridge.

• MortalXa-INGMortalXa-ING Posts: 27 ✭✭

@AgentB0ss-ING I think so too, but when talking on Reddit, many people think that only trail bridges count. An official clarification from Niantic would be great.

• Hydracyan-INGHydracyan-ING Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

Wooden bridges usually got approved really easy arround were I live.

• Dice3423-INGDice3423-ING Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

October update in help for wayfarer.

I would consider different piers different structures.

• YouLostAStar-INGYouLostAStar-ING Posts: 280 ✭✭✭✭✭

can we get some clarification on what types of these bridges are acceptable, im seeing so many tiny little bridges over streams which people are trying to submit under the bridges guidance.

• Senmana-INGSenmana-ING Posts: 129 ✭✭✭✭

I feel like every other review I see at the minute is for a generic bridge, either a little wooden one in the country or a pedestrian footbridge over a railway line for example. And they all claim to be part of a some made up trail that doesn't exist when you Google it. Personally I want to see either a trail marker on the bridge, or for it to be shown on a map or mentioned on a website about the trail showing it's a vital part of the route.

@Gabriel0322-PGO In my city, most bridges in parks are not wooden bridges, they are often made of stone or cement.

• ZinkyZonk-INGZinkyZonk-ING Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

Bridges certainly are popular!!!! I've had some success with the ones i have submitted. Even one piddly one that I didn't think had a chance!!!!

My local council has this term "shared path way" that big wide pedestrian/bike paths linking urban features. I feel in my mind these paths are like urban trails.

..... i have so many more to submit ..... hahaha

edited March 2020

@PoMaQue-PGO

„no cultural value“:

Of course, bridges have a cultural meaning. Historically, bridges have enabled people to connect different settlements. In modern times, they enable us to enter cultural sites (parks, museums, etc.).

„not visually unique“:

Each bridge has its own architecture and differences. Playgrounds all look almost the same.

„not part of a trail“:

There are also bridges that are part of a trail. But even if it is not a trail, they are connecting paths in parks.

@Gabriel0322-PGO But most reviewers insist that it has to be part of a trail. The last AMA was not clear enough.

@MortalXa-ING I would suggest that you are saying most ingress players are insisting that it has to be part of a trail in the middle of the woods. A trail is many different things in a park. Sidewalks walking around a park is still a trail that could have bridges.

Bridges, piers, boat ramps are structures. They don't move. They are allowed and accepted in Parks.

@Gabriel0322-PGO Yes, they have to, but it's getting frustrating. I have the same problem with waypots with limited access (POIs in community gardens or company premises). In my city it is not possible to accept such things .... I am tired of wasting my upgrades on them, but I keep trying...

It seems to me that the support information is simply ignored. And the map is also ignored (for alleged duplicates).

@Gabriel0322-PGO you are ignoring the part for Boat Launches and docks where it says signs are required and the sign should be submitted. It’s directly in the AMA.

@AgentB0ss-ING What are you talking about? I copied word for word from Wayfarer help.

edited March 2020

Gabriel0322-PGO Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ 12:18AM

• Are piers/fishing docks/boat launches at parks being acceptable portal candidates? If there is a signboard for the location and there's pedestrian access to the sign, yes.
    • What about wooden walking trail bridges throughout a park or nature preserve on the trail/path? If they are accessible by foot and expected to be used as part of the trail, they would meet the criteria.

I suggest you grow up @Agent739107-ING what ever issues you already have with me. This forum isn't even 2 days old and you are looking for arguments.

@Gabriel0322-PGO I am not sure what you are talking about. I was just adding clarification per the AMA about docks and boat launches. For reference here is the AMA response.

Per the October 2019 AMA:

Q42: Thoughts on piers/fishing docks/boat launches at a parks being acceptable portal candidates? They support the ongoing adventure, gathering spots, and exercise. These are used by the community and often very popular locations

A42: NIA OPS says, “If there is a sign board for the location and there's pedestrian access to the sign, sure.”

That is fine. But Wayfarer was updated in recently in 2020 to add the language back that Niantic deemed they wanted which summarized the AMA. Wayfarer language would overrule this AMA as it is more current. Everything that is important is in Wayfarer. Again the language from Wayfarer that was put back in for October 2019 in February/March of 2020.

• Are piers/fishing docks/boat launches at parks being acceptable portal candidates? If there is a signboard for the location and there's pedestrian access to the sign, yes.
    • What about wooden walking trail bridges throughout a park or nature preserve on the trail/path? If they are accessible by foot and expected to be used as part of the trail, they would meet the criteria.

• PoMaQue-PGOPoMaQue-PGO Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭

For the Cultural Value, I admit this is the most vague criteria and the hardest one to judge.

When I hear "culture", I think of art or something that really defines a local culture. SO hard for me to see bridges in that category.

The Visually Unique part meant to say "most", as tons of park bridges are generic wooden bridges with nothing visually significant.

"Part of a trail", I took this as "part of an official trail", which tons of smaller parks do not have.

From the reactions in this topic, I see not everyone is aligned, so clarifications weren't enough. Some seem to think all bridges in all parks are eligible, but that's not what is said. It is said "if they are considered part of a trail."

This is why people need the candidate action guide to provide guidance on how to rate on certain things. A sidewalk trail in a park that has a pedestrian bridge is still a trail even though people may assume it is just a standard park walkway.