cemeteries are allowed?

Hello dear community, i would ask if i vote for Wayspots on cemeteries, or is it an inappropriate location ?

Best Answers

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

To add to jtron, war memorials are also acceptable. Theres also a possible argument for statues is they arent on graves

Answers

Answer ✓

To add to jtron, war memorials are also acceptable. Theres also a possible argument for statues is they arent on graves

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is one of the things that should heavily depend on local culture as well.

There are some very basic rules that should be applied everywhere: cemeteries themselves are not eligible as wayspots, neither are graves that don't belong to someone very significant in the cultural or historic sense.

Beyond this, I think there should be some wiggle room. Sure, in many cultures across the world, cemeteries are places only for mourners and any "fun" activities are frowned upon or downright forbidden. However, this isn't the case everywhere - there are graveyards and cemeteries that are used as recreational areas, with playgrounds, sports facilities and even events like concerts or festivals in them. In other places, the cemetery is the standard location for war memorial statues, churches, calvaries and other objects with very high cultural importance. Other - often centuries old - cemeteries are nature reserves or nature conservation areas, that can include information boards about the local wildlife. I think these objects should be treated as eligible.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Idk where you live but NEVER in my life have i ever come across a cemetery that was used for anything but mourning. A church sure some have churches and its the church graveyard were the church itself is generally eligible. But never playgrounds concerts or recreational sport fields in a cemetery. War memorials yes eligible. But even then most cenotaphs I have seen in any military community are generally not at a cemetery but instead a readily accessible location for the public to easily pay there respects. I would love to see you give us an actual location that you claim has any of these facilities as I have never seen one anywhere in Canada

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've read about this before on here and it seems to be more common in Europe (possibly other places).

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to have to agree with @Nadiwereb-PGO, traditional cemeteries are quite solemn and just hold graves and are places for mourning. But increasingly, cemeteries are turning into memorial gardens, places that encourage people to visit, walk around, view art, etc. - on top of the mourning and such that goes along with typical cemeteries.

Near me, Springvale Cemetery has a cafe, a number of playgrounds, monuments, free-standing art sculptures, etc. I was always hesitant in visitng there because it is an active cemetery, but upon visiting it's surprisingly nice and welcome to everybody. There is also Bunorong Memorial Park, which is similar too.

So yes, this is entirely cultural and dependent on the location. At the end of the day, use your best judgement as to whether the Wayspots are on sensitive locations or not. A publicly accessible playground, even in a cemetary, as above generally would be pretty good, a grave on its own, generally not.

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

My local cemetery does walking tours of historical graves, and had an annual tour with actors in period costumes.

The whole place generally has a feel kind of like any regular park, down to the "please pick up after your dogs" signs. It's common to find joggers and dogwalkers just using the space. Other cemeteries are great spots for birdwatching.

I mean, cemeteries are for the living. My grandfather was outdoorsy, and he might not have "gotten" these newfangled games on our phone-things, but he would absolutely have been tickled that we're finally playing outside again. And that we had even more excuses to come visit hime more often.

But danged if you can actually spell any of that out in the supporting text, while still accurately describing your nominations' own validity. It took me some seven tries to finally get ONE of the most historical graves through, and if it weren't so much trouble (and so far for me to walk there) I'd have attempted some others too.

In any case, the city here managed to get some kind of geofence around the area -- new wayspots are Ingress-exclusive there now, no more Pogo raids crashing funerals.

• Lechu1730-PGOLechu1730-PGO Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

I give you one of the top ten tourist attractions in Buenos Aires, La Recoleta cemetery

And, as you can see, it's heavily populated with Wayspots

Not so much the other stuff, but my graveyard near me has 2 war memorials in it, one is a proper memorial with names while the other is more of a monument to the fallen than a memorial

• dd1989-INGdd1989-ING Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

In Scotland at least, cemeteries are reasonably casual, we tend to have a fairly reasonable relationship with ****, so don't take it as seriously perhaps as some other places.

Personally I have discovered some really interesting graves and had them successfully submitted, for example a commemoration of a WW2 boat that was sunk just off the coast where all of the men died, and a few high profile Scottish politicians or Military Commanders. These are genuine POIs that people would be interested to read about, however I always make sure I do really good descriptions for these as it gives the player an educational opportunity whilst playing.

Because 99% of the locations I submit are also rural or suburban, the chance of any more than one player being around at a time is almost zero. I have never in 7-8 years of playing Ingress ever encountered another player in one of these locations at the same time as me.