Pokémon Go players need to be able to edit “ALL” Ingress Portals

TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2021 in General Discussion

If a player has reached level 40 I “STRONGLY” suggest allowing Pokémon go players to be able to see portals that aren’t in Pokémon go that way we can edit them, especially if they’re incorrect like so many sadly are. I am NOT going to play Ingress because I’m not a fan & that’s my opinion & my preference but.... Myself and many others have played our hearts out in Pokémon Go to be able to get to this point to where we can edit & fix things & we shouldn’t have to play ingress to be able to fix an extra small percentage that we can’t in Pokémon go. Everyone across all platforms who are eligible should be able to do the same things. I very strongly suggest allowing us to at least see & have the option to edit the portals in ingress that aren’t in Pokémon go. There has to be a way. This issue is one of the most major issues in the game currently. We need to get some answers & get this fixed ASAP. I apologize if I placed this in the wrong category because it could have been added to more than one. I just want to get some clarity & have this issue addressed. It is important not only for myself but for all of us

Tagged:

Comments

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you so much for posting that @LukeAllStars-PGO. I really do appreciate it & i’m sure it may be helpful for others as well & that’s what we are here for. The thing for me is that I’ve never had any luck with that form & from what I’ve heard others have struggled with it as well. It is a lot easier for us to be able to edit from our map in game rather than that form or even through an option in support within the app itself. Something better needs to be done. I’ve personally had bad luck with it. I haven’t even received emails back from any that I’ve sent reports about & they were sent back when we started the Wayfarer system. Hopefully something can be done to make the system better for all of us

edited January 2021

Thank you for that as well. I’m assuming everything I’ve sent reports for hasn’t been edited or if it was it was just unnoticeable. I will keep that in mind & just keep trying. I really appreciate your responses

• Lechu1730-PGOLechu1730-PGO Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

In early December I have submitted the form for two PoIs that were wrongly moved sometime ago an as a result disappeared from PoGo. I'm yet to see any result from the report...

Besides, the form is to be used for edits greater than 20 meters, which isn't always the case.

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

Heres a little example how to be successful:

POI: https://intel.ingress.com/intel?ll=53.605026,10.153788&z=17&pll=53.605026,10.153788

Old location:

New location after renovation:

I made the pictures on the 8th november, the POI got moved at the 20th november.

Super easy and no problems. Especially for edits > 30 meters

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are only playing PoGo, why would you want to move those Ingress portals that are not also showing as Pokestops or Gyms. They have nothing to do with PoGo and have no impact on the game.

• Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

An additional reason to the question above.

If the POI appears also in Pogo, there'll be less unnecessary duplicates.

In my case there were at least three wayspots that were moved away from their correct location. Two of them disappeared from PoGo due to landing in an occupied cell. I suspect an Ingress player edited them in order to be able to generate concentric fields, but since I don't play Ingress I can be mistaken.

I was able to request an edit in game for the one that's still in PoGo, but not the other ones. As @Kellerrys-ING said, because the wayspots are away from the proper locations and their former S2 cells are unoccupied, PoGo players who can't see them will submit them again, creating unnecessary duplications.

I want to move them because we have some wayfarers who like to move things without knowing the surroundings & move things to incorrect locations; therefore when they get accepted they only appear in Ingress & not in Pokemon & then those of us who don’t play ingress can’t edit them to their correct locations & receive the benefits of the work that we put in to create them. Especially if they are correct. Anyone who plays Pokémon will want to be able to do this. We should all have the same benefits. We’ve all put in the work to get to this point. It needs fixed

edited January 2021

In my community there is no one that plays Ingress. I live in a city in Indiana with over 15,000 people. There are people who travel too but don’t want to put in work to fix these since they don’t live here; so we should be able to. We have put in the work to get here. I don’t understand the six dislikes on my original comment. These games could be so much better if this issue could be addressed immediately

Post edited by TheZodiac007-PGO on
    edited January 2021

I’m not meaning to falsify portals to create pokestops @sogNinjaman-ING. I am talking about being able to move them because no one plays ingress in my community. I started off playing Ingress & slowly transitioned to playing Pokémon although from time to time I play ingress during events to gain xp. Nonetheless, I am completely against falsifying anything to create a pokestop or gym that isn’t touching the object in mind

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

@TheZodiac007-PGO When you say incorrect locations do you mean that the pin is no longer on the thing that you submitted? Or do you mean it's still on the thing you submitted but is no longer in the place that you wanted it? If the former, can you show us some examples?

I’m not talking specifically about anything I’ve submitted. I’m speaking for all of us. We should all have the option to edit. We all deserve the same options @Hosette-ING. A good example is if it were the other way around, Ingress players would want to be able to fix things that are incorrect. We all deserve the option to do this. We’ve worked so hard to get where we are. It’s only fair

edited January 2021

The one I’m wanting to move isn’t one I submitted, it’s a dock. The portal is on land instead of the dock itself. There is a playground nearby in the same cell keeping the dock from appearing in Pokémon Go but it would if the portal were moved onto the dock itself. I believe if those of us that play Pokémon Go could edit portals too it would only better the games. That’s what we’re here for. To make all of Niantics products the best that they can be. This would easily make all of their games better for everyone. There are so many more positives than negatives. There are even portals in places that could be removed that are fake but no one can fix those because no one plays ingress in those places. I see many more positives than negatives. We are all in this together

I’m not sure how it would be implemented but I know that it has to be possible. As much work as I have done in programming myself I know it is. We have paid millions of dollars to Niantic. It is their job

Also: I believe that if any edits are falsified & proved to have been falsified there shall be consequences for whomever falsified them

• SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,608 Ambassador
    edited January 2021

This is similar to an edit I got a local Ingress player to make recently. We have a city park that is full of great POI. We are doing our best to fill up every L17 cell. Unfortunately one of the best POI already exists but shares an L17 cell with another POI so it doesn't appear in GO. It's for a really fantastic playground that looks like a castle. The playground is large enough that the majority of it appears in an open L17 cell. So where the POI is currently located is not wrong but it is not optimal for all Niantic games. By moving it to an open cell that is just as legitimate a location as where it currently is, it will be available to players of all games. This is the kind of move that some might see as manipulative but it 100% is not. The current location is right but so is the proposed new location. One is good for only Ingress (and maybe HPWU) players. The other is good for GO, Ingress and HPWU.

But we wouldn't be able to make this edit without an Ingress player. That's not fair.

Someone asked what would the interface look like? We have a completely separate interface for reviewing submissions. Why can't we use new features in that interface to also submit and edit and SEE all POI in the database?

@SeaprincessHNB-PGO i completely agree with you 100%. I also support your idea for the interface. It’s a wonderful idea as well & really makes a lot of sense. If we imagine it, it has to be able to be made possible. It has to be. I can imagine a drop down screen where you search the location you want to edit or even a map where you explain where the location is & Niantic verifies for you so that it can be voted on to be edited. There are so many options. It will just take time for them to edit the current interface to add these functions & make this possible. There are many more benefits to this than not. And it will easily make the games better for all of us across all platforms. I agree with you; that is not manipulative at all. I doubt it is even noticeable especially depending on how close the POI is to the playground & I assume that you can’t even tell. Regardless it makes every game better for everyone. Thank you so much for your comment. I really, really appreciate it. We’re all in this together. Hopefully eventually we have capabilities to be able to help each other the way that we should be able to. It’s just a matter of time

Ok, here are a couple of practical examples.

The first wayspot, as it is. Coordinates in the game: -34.6321330, -58.4616130

The real location of the PoI. Real coordinates: 34.6320317,-58.4613288

The wayspot was originally located in the proper place and moving it resulted in a change of cell to one already occupied, so it disappeared from PoGo. Now only an Ingress player can edit it back to it's proper location.

The second wayspot as it is. Coordinates in the game: -34.6301520, -58.4603120

The real location of the PoI. Real coordinates: -34.6301699,-58.4605949

Just like the previous one, it was created in the correct place and then moved by an edit, causing it to disappear from Pokemon Go.

BTW, this info was submitted to Niantic via the form but nothing came out of it so far.

edited January 2021

@Hosette-ING For me the portal I’m wanting to move is literally to the location. It sounds like for her as well that it’s still touching the playground so therefore it’s okay. I’m assuming it’s a large playground so as long as it’s touching the playground I don’t see any harm in it

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

I play both games and I can tell you that unseen Ingress portals can be too close to a location that would otherwise show up in Pokemon Go and prevent a good nomination from showing up at all in any game. I have moved a lot of misplaced portals - mostly due to the sign, etc. having been relocated with the passage of time rather than ill intent when it was placed. Or badly placed pins on a large feature that can be moved to another equally accurate position that will show up in Pokemon Go. For example, a picnic shelter with multiple entrances where the north entrance shares a cell but the south is in a cell by itself. So this is a valid point to want to see all Wayspots including Ingress portals. And the entire reason I started playing Ingress.

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've experienced it myself.

A church marked as duplicate, however it's not yet live in PoGO.

I asked my friend to check Ingress Intel Map and he said it was already live..., unless its location is actually misplaced. It should be like this:

You can see a mosque that also a Wayspot (marked by yellow) just south to the church (red). Actual distance between them is about 100m, yet the church Wayspot was misplaced near to the mosque, so near that the mosque blocked the church and become a Pokestop.

I can request for edit this church Wayspot location, but I'll save it for later.

edited January 2021

We’re the ones playing these games though. They’re supposed to be allowing us to make the game/s better across all platforms so it is necessarily what we should be doing. If you really think about it, they are in the wrong location if we are having to move them. We shouldn’t have to move them though is the thing, but they haven’t fixed that issue yet so this is our only true option right now. With that in mind I don’t think they were talking about cells in Pokémon Go though precisely. Regardless, it needs made better for all of us. It’s far too stressful right now. I’ve submitted close to 500 nominations myself & another 100 helping others that I met through discord. I just wish that this function could be better for all of us. Right now, it’s a mess. Either way though I do agree with one thing: The portal, pokestop or gym should be touching the object. If it is not, it shouldn’t be moved.

For Ingress players who don’t understand, download Pokémon Go where there are a large number of portals & just look at the differences between the two games. In some places it is dramatic

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheZodiac007-PGO "It's far too stressful right now." I'd suggest that you take a step back and put Wayfarer in a better context. We're playing games, and we're using a system to help those games.

If I submit something and it gets rejected that's no big deal for me, even if it's something I may not see again because I'm not likely to revisit that town. If I feel strongly about something and I can resubmit it then I'll look at how I can improve my submission to make it clearer for reviewers and resubmit it.