Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Pedestrian access

If something is lets say in the middle of a street and it is acceptable as artwork or something like that, and it has crosswalks to that, would that be considered safe pedestrian access when reviewing? Another thing is how much leading distance is needed to count as safe pedestrian access and how far away from a residential road or a somewhat busy road does it need to be considered safe pedestrian access without a sidewalk.

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the object is located in the median **** between two lanes of traffic, there must be a crosswalk right next to the object to be classified as safe pedestrian access. If you have to walk any distance away from the crosswalk to reach the object, then Niantic considers it lacking safe pedestrian access. You may convince reviewers that it has safe access, but Niantic will remove it anyways when reported.

• Dice3423-INGDice3423-ING Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Walk up and touch doesnt always apply. It was clarified murals could be on walls and you didnt have to touch them. @YouLostAStar-ING

• YouLostAStar-INGYouLostAStar-ING Posts: 280 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it’s high up then you only have to touch the base of the wall, that’s fine. If OP is able to hopefully they can post a pic of whatever it is they want to submit so we can judge whether that is safe access

There is also "The Real Life Versus AR" offset. So pinpoint accuracy isn't usually perfect either. It's close but not perfect.

• TrainerN1N-PGOTrainerN1N-PGO Posts: 20 ✭✭✭

Ok For some reason I didn't know you needed like an Imgur picture rather than upload a photo. Here is an example https://imgur.com/j35ttu3

This has 3 sidewalks, touchable via hand, and you can walk 360 around it, would this be considered safe pedestrian access? The blue are the roads btw. I would consider it as yes it is as it has 3 ways to it and you can walk all the way around it.

Looks like there is a pedestrian crossing to the island and has pavements around it. If so there is 100% safe access there

People do realize that grass is still pedestrian access?

Where did anyone say grass wasn’t safe pedestrian access?

edited March 2020

Because you ignore the island already had a standing place for pedestrian access with it having plenty of room for a player to stand on the grass. Sidewalks are not installed everywhere in the world, yes I know it may sound prehistoric but it is reality with other places in the world. (Yes there is an AMA that already that addresses sidewalks not being installed everywhere in the world.)

@YouLostAStar-ING The original poster shared a location that was a island with grass that also had sidewalks. That mountain of snow melting in the satellite view, a person can easily stand on and access the wayspot just as well.

Aerial view of the island isn’t really good enough to be sure what was on the island, could definitely **** the pavement so that was what I commented on. Didn’t mean to imply that grass wasn’t acceptable

edited March 2020

Aerial is about normal. You have to use you best judgement and for some areas we will see snow in pictures. If the snow can be piled up pretty high and not bother anyone for weeks. Then a person can stand on that island as well and not bother anyone for the use of a wayspot. Would you agree? That is basically what I ask myself when I am reviewing situations like this. Hopefully it helps others.

I do agree, if I was reviewing normally I would have streetview and be able to zoom in to get better view of the situation. But from what can be seen we can all agree this is safe access

• Trickam-PGOTrickam-PGO Posts: 4 ✭✭

I live in a small town of less then 10k and many streets here are devoid of sidewalks and many are still gravel. I constantly get POI rejected because of sidewalks. Urban reviewers have no clue.

Start pointing your locals to here. So they can see that sidewalks don't matter.

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Perringaiden-ING your answer is sooooo close to perfect, missing only one detail.

So the best examples used to explain "safe pedestrian access" involved a POI on an island. Once you're safely on that island (by boat, airstrip, or whatever), if you can safely stand at the POI and interact with it, then the POI itself is considered to have "safe pedestrian access". It doesn't and shouldn't really take into account HOW you actually got to the island.

But the contrary example to the above is, a statue in a traffic roundabout. If you can't get there except by running across the traffic lanes, then that is still unsafe. (ie. no pedestrian crosswalk leading to the middle of the roundabout) Even if, when standing there, you can touch and hug and **** the statue to your heart's content.

I note that (no need to ping Casey every time lol) Niantic has indicated that a business only reachable through its parking lot is still considered "safe". (So any unique architecture, artwork, etc at the location can still be approved despite the immediate lack of sidewalk leading directly to the building)

• TrainerN1N-PGOTrainerN1N-PGO Posts: 20 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Thank you for clarification 0x00ff00-ING, didn't to @ you :)

Post edited by TrainerN1N-PGO on