A building designed by a Starchitect...rejected for the 13th time

It's taking me a lot of time, energy and frustation for this nomination. In my first request I thought it was an easily 5 stars nomination, many reason to do that, but everytime it's an unfair rejection.

In my city, the former swiss Starchitect Mario Botta designed this building named "La Casa dei Costruttori" (in english means "House of Builders") with the function to be the headquarters of the local associations of the builders, the architects and the engineers, also conferences are presented here. Another name given is "ANCE", a shorten version to indicate the association of builders.

Mario Botta is a very famous architect in the world, you can find him on Wikipedia and on many architectural publications. He had a brilliant career with several projects around the world and many awards won. I feel very lucky (as an architect student) to have one of his projects in my city.

ANCE is recognised and listed by Lombardy Region in the Culturale Heritage of the region.

There is a pedestrian walkaway that assures a safe access, the building is accessible from office workers, from external professionist registered to the associations, from other people who wants to partecipate to the conferences and from visitors who want to admire the structure. There is a plaque that proves the building is really the ANCE.

I have collected 13 rejections and I can't explain myself why, if I wouldn't know ANCE and if I would review it I'm sure I would be excited to approve it. Here some of the most rejection reason I have had: nomination does not meet acceptance criteria, generic store or restaurant (yes, you can find Mario Botta inside there while cooking pasta and tomatoes for customers), nomination appears to be on private residential property (it's not true, public access is guaranteed), nomination appears to have explicit or inappropriate activity (ANCE = Mario Botta's sexy shop, are you kidding me?), photo is low quality (a photo taken in a sunny day with no clouds and no shadows, with no presence of people and animals is low quality for reviewers), nomination appears to be a natural feature (the famous ANCE waterfalls...), it is not connected to a man-made object (excuse me are you serious?), nomination could not be confirmed to have an acceptable pedestrian pathway (there is a very large pedestrian pathway, can't you see it in the photo?).

I really don't know what to do in order to make ANCE accepted, I've tested with long and complete descriptions, short and essential descriptions, main photo to the building, main photo to the plaque, main photo in the court, links in support info, removing links, nothing works, it seems that my request is reviewed by monkeys.

Links:

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Botta (Wikipedia page of the architect)
  • www.lombardiabeniculturali.it/architetture900/schede/p3010-00099 (Cultural Heritage of Lombardy Region)
  • www.botta.ch/it/SPAZI%20DEL%20LAVORO?idx=4 (ANCE on Mario Botta's website)
  • www.domusweb.it/it/progettisti/mario-botta.html (An italian design magazine webpage talking about Mario Botta's biography)
  • 45.852789868161004, 9.409892416200991 (Google Maps coordinates)

Comments

• Kroutpiick-PGOKroutpiick-PGO Posts: 370 ✭✭✭✭

While it's true that "Unique Art or Architecture" is listed as "A great place for exploration", you really need to convince reviewers that THIS specific building has a unique architecture. Don't use the renown of the name of the architect, to make reviewers accept this building. The building (the architecture) must by itself be eligible.

Now, "what is an unique architecture vs. what is common", that's up to each reviewer to judge.

In my eyes of North american, what I see in your first picture looks like a multi-level parking lot, nothing more. I may be wrong, you may disagree and that's ok because I'm not from your region, I don't know your culture, we don't live in same cities, etc.

Otherwise, if you want it to pass as "A great place to be social with others" because it's the "HQ of the local associations of the builders", then you'll need to submit the name plate/sign instead of the whole building that looks in my eyes a parking lot.

In both cases, you will need to give more explanations if you want to try again :

• Is it an unique architecture? Did it won any architecture prizes? Can you proove it? Insist on this information : "ANCE is recognised and listed by Lombardy Region in the Culturale Heritage of the region."
    • Is it a great place to explore otherwise, why?
    • Is there any commemorative plaque, showcase about the architect and his career that you can submit instead of the whole building?
    • Is it a great place to be social because it's a "builders association"? How? What kind of activities this place offers?

I have collected 13 rejections and I can't explain myself why, if I wouldn't know ANCE and if I would review it I'm sure I would be excited to approve it. Here some of the most rejection reason I have had: nomination does not meet acceptance criteria, generic store or restaurant (yes, you can find Mario Botta inside there while cooking pasta and tomatoes for customers), nomination appears to be on private residential property (it's not true, public access is guaranteed), nomination appears to have explicit or inappropriate activity (ANCE = Mario Botta's sexy shop, are you kidding me?), photo is low quality (a photo taken in a sunny day with no clouds and no shadows, with no presence of people and animals is low quality for reviewers), nomination appears to be a natural feature (the famous ANCE waterfalls...), it is not connected to a man-made object (excuse me are you serious?), nomination could not be confirmed to have an acceptable pedestrian pathway (there is a very large pedestrian pathway, can't you see it in the photo?).

Rejection reasons are not always exact. Some reviewers select any random reason but the only thing you need to remember is that it got rejected by the community.

• "generic store or restaurant" was for the "Generic business" rejection under former criterias.
    • Private residential property, this depends of what information you provided, but the building could look like residential complex with parking
    • "Explicit or inappropriate" it's because in some languages (such as in french), there is confusion between the choice of rejection reasons "inappropriate" and "inadequate". Inadequate is for mismatched location : is it visible on satellite/street view?

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me it doesn’t look like unique architecture. Thats why it wont get passed. Looks like a simple

building with car parking so that doesn’t really fit the criteria.

If you find maybe a plaque with the architect name on it, that could possibly be eligible as the person building it is as “famous” as you say they are. Other than that you will keep getting rejected on this one

• Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Echoing Kroutpick's post. This is your main selling point.

"ANCE is recognised and listed by Lombardy Region in the Culturale Heritage of the region."

Make it easy for reviewers to check. In other words give the link you provided here in the support text.

www.lombardiabeniculturali.it/architetture900/schede/p3010-00099

Hopefully you'll finally get it approved.

• SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,607 Ambassador

Yeah, unless you can explain how *this* building is an example of some kind of new style of architecture or building methods that are now widely adopted, it won't pass. For example, my city has a Flat Iron building that was done by the architect who eventually designed the Flat Iron Building in NYC. I haven't checked to see if it is already a POI, but I could get that one passed by explaining how it was a precursor to such a famous building and a great example of such a famous style.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not one of his better works. I cannot see anything in the photo that makes this eligible to be a Waypoint. It would appear that the multiple people who reviewed you 13 submission for the same thing thought the same, 13 times.

• Lechu1730-PGOLechu1730-PGO Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

Honestly, your main picture looks like a car park. I'd rather use the supporting picture to illustrate the nomination.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

AS someone who has studied architecture to a certain extent, I can see why you consider this a great nomination. However, you have to understand that the vast majority of reviewers never studied architecture and can't judge the artistic merit of a random building. What makes it even harder to get accepted is the layout with the car parking in the front - it really, really doesn't look like it's anything special.

Your pictures aren't the best, either. Perhaps its most unique and exciting feature IMO is the tilted wall of climbing plants behind the cars and the unique spatial structure it creates. This is almost completely invisible on your pictures, so people are left looking at a nondescript rectangular building. No wonder they don't approve.

• Basebalkid-PGOBasebalkid-PGO Posts: 15 ✭✭

Warning: Only read the title before this comment

Were the first 12 rejections, not a good enough hint that it was a bad POI?

• purplepopple-INGpurplepopple-ING Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Are all the photos landscape instead of portrait? If so, that might just be a 1* for that and move on. I would make sure the photo orientation is right.

• purplepopple-INGpurplepopple-ING Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen anything that is landscape actually pass. My impression was that only portrait was allowed. Has Niantic said at any point anything abut landscape vs. portrait pictures?

And while it may be false, I suspect that it could be a major reason. In any of your 14 rejections, has orientation ever been a reason listed as to why?

And if you are resubmitting, maybe include in the extra information specifically where Niantic has said landscape photos are allowed as opposed to only having portrait. (Because for me, that would be the reason. And I would assume any landscape photos were Niantic honey pots to see if I am paying attention so 1* photo on that. Happy to be wrong and improve my own reviewing but you want to improve than my oops bad type reviewing may be impacti g you as others likely make the same mistake.)

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are 100% wrong. Doesnt matter if its landscape or portrait as long as the picture shows the poi right side up and not slanted

• Kroutpiick-PGOKroutpiick-PGO Posts: 370 ✭✭✭✭

The "Wrong photo orientation" rejection reason is NOT for "landscape photo", it's used when the picture is not upright/tilted/sideways or upside down photos and when you have to bow your head to see what is the submission.

Please don't reject valid submissing just because the picture is landscape.

If required, read again the Photo Guidelines

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just adding to what everybody else has already said, landscape is often the BEST option simply because each game crops and frames the image differently (in many different ways). With a properly framed photo in landscape format, the POI can be the subject of every reference, rather than just be visible in one or two scenarios and invisible for the rest.

• Wonderdude2k-INGWonderdude2k-ING Posts: 39 ✭✭✭

Perhaps you could try again, but with a much more impressive photo. Something similar to the one found on the link you provided: www.botta.ch/it/SPAZI%20DEL%20LAVORO?idx=4

Regarding photo orientation, I've switched my phone camera to 1:1. Square photos seem to work best for my nominations.