Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Decorated poles, what's the deal?

Wondering if the following could be considered eligible. Let's assume they are not on private residential property, and that there are adequate sidewalks leading to each one.

I'm inclined to rate the "pixies at play" and "squirrels climbing a pole" lower because they are obviously live animals vandalizing these wood totems. In all honestly, they look more temporary, but they could be permanent. I think they should be considered eligible if permanent as they add a fun and visual flare to something otherwise bland.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Not to mention they appear as though they could easily be faked. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this concern.

Thanks for the constructive discussion.

• Hydracyan-INGHydracyan-ING Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I wonder how close of a private property they can be and still being valid, because almost every pole in my city in right in the front of a private property. Right in the sidewalk, not inside a property, but just like 2m (6feet) or less away from gate.

Here's one example. Its just few feet away from the walls.

I'm avoid submiting this one since 2017, because I aways thought it was a weak candidate, but since I'm seeing a lot of those kind, I might give it a try. This is one is older than Pokémon GO and probably as older (or more) than Ingress, so it's not from somebody trying a home/chouch wayspot.

• Dice3423-INGDice3423-ING Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

Wayfarer says....

Please be sure to closely review nominations whose real-world location appears to be within 40 meters of private, single-family residential property, and nominations whose real-world location appears to be in a neighborhood park. To be clear, nominations should be rejected if their real-world location appears to be on private, single-family residential property or might encourage people to go onto private property (e.g., because the real-world location is at the end of a private driveway).

40m from the end of the nearest private driveway would be location distance per Wayfarer Help.

For US citizens and others who do not use metric. That is 132 feet roughly from your closest driveway.

• JSteve0-INGJSteve0-ING Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭

The posts above this one are correct with one clarification. The guideline is distance from a private property, not just the driveway to the private property. The driveway was an example referenced in the guideline.

Please show where niantic gives a location besides the driveway for beginning the real world location and I will agree to it. Thanks. In the meantime, location is based on the end of the driveway as the example provide in Wayfarer help. (Please Note: if this location was incorrect, casey would of stated otherwise in the Shrines thread where Casey decided community entrances are allowed.)

Inside private property is a clear no. But withing those 40m does not mean auto deny it.

The way I read it, park are an exception but should be decide if it could affect local neighbors. Rest of PRP is based on the real world location ninatic deems as acceptable real world condition. Only thing written is the end of a private driveway is the real world location to them. It is even confirmed in the Wayfarer Video.

https://youtu.be/PPVXGrgzbbY

• JSteve0-INGJSteve0-ING Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭

The abbreviation eg means for example. The end of a driveway is an example. That is the only example given, but it is just an example.

Can you chime in on if people need the artist and all of the back up. Or is just the art acceptable and reviewers only need to be worried about the art in the photo being art? This is a commonly heated discussion that comes from these topics.

Also can you define if this are in front of a PRP property, are they still valid.

To be clear, nominations should be rejected if their real-world location appears to be on private, single-family residential property or might encourage people to go onto private property (e.g., because the real-world location is at the end of a private driveway).

My previous example in this discussion shows a pole that is: on a sidewalk, outside any private property; and since it's outside, on a public sidewalk, it will not encourage people to go onto private property. The property has huge walls, no one could possible enter it by accident, and since the radius of action in all games are 40m, you don't even need to be close to ir to play.

Should it be denied just because it its abou 3m close to the fence/wall?

(if you didn't liked the eyes drawned, imagine a beatifull patented Picasso in the pole, that's just an example)

• Faversham71-PGOFaversham71-PGO Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't they follow the same 40m to PRP restriction that murals now have to follow.

They would have to follow guidance for art. Which murals fall under yes.

So unless the criteria for outdoor murals is weirdly different to that for indoor murals the poles should be rejected if within 40m of PRP, not just 'reviewed carefully'?

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Please be sure to closely review nominations whose real-world location appears to be within 40 meters of private, single-family residential property, and nominations whose real-world location appears to be in a neighborhood park. To be clear, nominations should be rejected if their real-world location appears to be on private, single-family residential property or might encourage people to go onto private property (e.g., because the real-world location is at the end of a private driveway).

"Reject if it appears to be on private, single-family residential property or might encourage people to go onto private property." You may reject if a nomination is at the end of a private driveway as it might encourage people to trespass onto the private property.

I agree that was the guidance, but the newer guidance says "Not acceptable: Mounted or free-standing murals, paintings, fountains, sculptures, etc. on or within 40 meters of private residences." although strictly it comes under a section headed Indoor Nominations.

It's unclear whether murals that are within 40m of PRP should be outright rejected or merely closely reviewed. My guess is that the 'not acceptable' was supposed to be 'review closely' but I don't want to put words into Niantic's mouth.

If anything near 40m is invalid, that will cause the removal of almost every church in my city, since they're always right on the side of a private property. This criteria maybe makes sense in USA style of private property, with every prp having over 40m wide with no fence in the front, but here that same length can have up to 6-8 separated private property each one with 2m tall walls.

The reality is different, no one will be induced or accidentally trespass a wall with barbed wire. But in some places with a big unfenced lawn, people might just sit down or walk in the grass.

• Jeank1801-PGOJeank1801-PGO Posts: 6 ✭✭

It would be important to mention this topic in a new update because many reviewers are still exempt from the art on lamp posts, and doing it in a more official way, this would help areas with few wayspots, finally having something

• Magouye-PGOMagouye-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭

Living In a rural area of coastal Louisiana, with a unique system of how property has been developed over time, my community of 4 towns that run from one into another along Bayou Lafourche, we have commercial property adjacent to private property; frequently personal have their business on the same plot of land as their home. There are not many locations that could be picked following the 40 meter rule. It makes me wonder how cities can have so many ingress portals/Poké Stops. There are private residences located the same as rural areas, but since there are “sidewalks”, things that are rejected here for being too close to private residence because we used the large paved shoulders of the Hwys as sidewalks. I have seen “art” installations being approved on the neutral ground of streets - the grassy area between the different direction of traffic, in Towns and Cities being accepted, and the only way to access them is from your car while waiting at a red light, because there is no pedestrian access to those neutral grounds. It is unfair that people in urban areas can set up a portal so close to their residence, they have their own sofa portal, sometimes more than one! This is not something people in rural areas or remote areas are privy to, and that is not cool. But, we do the best we can.

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

One distinction that is made about private property is that its ONLY single family residences that are included. Multi family apartment buildings aren't considered PRP. So in the actual downtown area of a city, there are very few single family homes, they are mostly apartments buildings.

• Chipolos-PGOChipolos-PGO Posts: 5 ✭✭

Mi opinión es esas reglas fueron hechas en un inicio pensando en enormes casas , con enormes jardines (con esculturas o fuentes en su interior), cuyo camino entrada supera los 40 m. Creo yo que las propuestas del poste cumplen perfectamente en el sentido de que no se inicita a la invasión de la propiedad privada, pues están a pie de calle.