What to do with basic-titled nominations?

HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Above is an example of a nomination I saw recently. It is simply just called Slide.

I've seen a lot of submissions being extremely basic like this. For example:

• "Church" instead of St Andrews Anglican Church
  • "Play ground" instead of Perry Park Playground
  • "park info sign" instead of Kingfishers of May Reserve Info Sign, and
  • "Mural" instead of a rather creative title

Based on the Reviewing a Wayspot Nomination page, we should "give high ratings to official titles (if available) or creative titles/descriptions (as long as they add value to the Wayspot)". But what if the given title/description is the opposite, i.e. bland and uncreative like "Sculpture" when it actually has a proper name?

P.S. There are also the really lousy attempts where someone has pasted the Title into both the description AND supporting statement, but those are a different story.

Comments

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador
    edited February 2021

Give fewer stars for the title/description, as long as the title/description fits with the object.

Post edited by LukeAllStars-ING on
  • oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are not technically incorrect, just ambiguously generic - and annoyingly so. Can't do much about it other than telling off the nominator or editing them later (I make a lots of edits just through comms activity for such situations lol)

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to give 3 stars to in the Title/Description category for titles and descriptions like these that are unhelpful but not technically inaccurate, and 4 stars at most for Overall.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the title and description is accurate and there's no potential for confusion (like in your "Church" example, if there's no other church nearby), I don't deduct any points. I don't see this as a creative writing assignment or something, if it's correct, it's correct.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on what is nominated. For something like a playground, I would give 3 stars for the generic/basic title. But for a church or even a picnic shelter in a park, you need to be more specific to get more than 2 stars on title/description.

• Griffinfinity-INGGriffinfinity-ING Posts: 60 ✭✭✭✭

October 2019 AMA

Q47: In OPR, why are the categories 1-5 stars? Several of them should be binary Yes/No or ternary Yes/No/Maybe. For example, for Location - 1 star would suggest wrong location (which should disqualify it, per Portal Criteria), 3 is maybe it is there, and 5 is definitely there, I can see on the map or in street view. What would 2 or 4 mean? Similarly, Title. It's either accurate, or not, right? What would 2, 3, or 4 mean for Title?

A47: This has been answered in a previous AMA. The stars are a five point gradient scale for how accurate or correct the submission and information matches the category. Title isn’t actually binary. Especially if the title of the candidate isn’t overtly clear. In the case of a plaque or known work of art, sure. But not everything has a proper formal name leaving things a bit open to interpretation. In those cases, can you discern what the candidate is by the title?

If a concrete statue of a pink elephant was created in October 1999 to commemorate breast cancer awareness month and the title submitted was “Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Elephant Statue”, that should be a five star because it is a descriptive title or official title. If the candidate title is just, “Pink Elephant Statue”... then that might be a 4 star rating. If the title is “Elephant Statue” then perhaps a 3 rating. If the submitted title is just “Cement Animal Statue” that might be a 2. If it is just “Statue” or “Pizza Restaurant”, that might be a 1.

• TorvoTeratos-PGOTorvoTeratos-PGO Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

Same. I don't want to particularly reject something overall approveable just for a title that can be edited later.

• grendelwulf-INGgrendelwulf-ING Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭

Just 1 star the title-description

• bilde2910bilde2910 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭

Proper formal name and detailed description is a clear 5⭐. Good names/descriptions with room for improvement, or with typos, get 4⭐ from me. Generic, but still "accurate" ones like these are definitely low-effort, but not invalid, per se. I'd give these 3⭐.

As for 2⭐ and 1⭐, these are reserved for very poor titles as these can cause rejections. Someone making an unspecific title/description like this one, but additionally with typos or other signs of low quality (e.g. "playgorund") would get 2⭐ from me, something that is actually irrelevant to the nomination would get 1⭐ or be rejected on that basis.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes! This was what I was looking for and trying to find it. Thanks for picking it up!

There is more of a nuance where for a non-descriptive title I would knock off entire stars because of extremely low effort and highly rate the ones that are really good.

For example:

To frame what was quoted by the former Community Manager, with another example below:

If a concrete statue of a pink ribbon was created to commemorate breast cancer awareness month, the title ranked would be as follows:

• Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Ribbon Statue: 5-stars
    • Pink Ribbon Statue: 4-stars
    • Ribbon Statue: 3-stars
    • Cement Pole Statue/Pink Statue: 2-stars
    • Statue/Ribbon: 1-star...

But for the most part, I do agree that you shouldnt really reject something just because of the title alone which can be edited, but... imagine seeing a wholesome, beautiful mural and someone just calls it "Mural".

• YX3am-INGYX3am-ING Posts: 38 ✭✭

A title of 'Slide' isn't too bad. I've seen it worse where a nomination is titled <kid's swings>, and there is another <kid's swings> on the existing waypoints' map with the exact same title (all characters match). Content guidelines have that the title should be distinguishable. But a non-unique (and not recommended) title is not an outright rejection criteria, and it can be improved through editing (and time). Same with 'Slide' - it's mediocre, it's not the ideal; but it's not a clear reject and it paints an accurate picture of the thing.

For artwork, titles are not always readily available. Calling an iconic design that is synonymous with breast cancer a 'Pink Statue' can be seen as having the added issue of being culturally insensitive, but depending on angle it's viewed from and the context/history available to the nominator (maybe they don't have experience with cancer or haven't lived there long), the intended association with cancer may not be aparent. 'Pink Statue' and 'Cement Pole Statue' both aren't bad - those titles still accuratley identify the object, and there is nothing else apparent in the surroudings that those titles can refer to. 2* seems harsh. (And if a legitimate title exists for something with a decent made-up title, it can be a toss-up on edit requests.)

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

It's a slide, so calling it 'slide' is fine in my opinion.

If the title is nothing to do with the nomination, or mentions game specifically terms or something like that, then sure, I'll 1* the title. But this is perfectly acceptable, and a local player can always edit to improve it in the longer term

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I disagree. For me, "Pink Ribbon Statue" is the perfect title, with "Erected to raise awareness for breast cancer" as the description. "Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Ribbon Statue" is completely unnecessarily long. You don't need to put all information in the title - there's a description as well. That being said, I wouldn't deduct any stars for it, I just don't think it's good.

"Ribbon Statue" and "Pink Statue" are also perfectly good titles as well in my opinion, if they're accompanied by a good description. If they're not, I might give them 4 or 3 stars (depending on the context and existing wayspots nearby), but definitely nothing below 3. "Cement Pole Statue" and simply "Statue" are certainly not 5-star titles in my opinion either, but unless there are other statues nearby, I would give 3 or 4 stars for them as well - they're correct after all. You can't fail someone for writing something correct just because they didn't write exactly what you wanted them to (I'm saying this based on my experience as a university lecturer).

Now, if the title was "Giant Fish Hook" or "TBD" or or "Wigglytuff Arch", I'd definitely fail it for title/description. If it was, say, "Rope Statue of Legendary Agent Blob1892", I'd fail it for abuse. But if the title is correct, I let it go through.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait a minute, what are you disagreeing with? What the community manager said or something else? Do you think it is ok to reject something just because of a non-descriptive title? Please clarify.

Ribbon Statue and Pink Statue has a possibility of not being able to be distinguished, especially if you have wayspots of very similar name, either nearby or via keys (such as in the portal game). A ribbon statue could be a small concrete ornament in a botanic garden, but this one has something a bit more detailed, and maybe have a bit more reflected in the title.

But you are right, you should not fail someone for something that is towards being correct. "Ribbon Statue" was a three-star, "Pink Statue"... more of a two star but yeah probably will just jig it back up to a 3-star. A 3-star is a 50%, a bare pass as you know as a lecturer.

I reviewed this mural a couple of days ago. They called it Kirrawee Street Art, with the description "New street art when entering Kirrawee shopping centre". Kirrawee is the name of the suburb, but I gave this low marks (2-stars for the title/description category) for being painfully basic and boring.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

So you gave a rejecting rating on an appropriate title/descritpion. 🤦🏻 If its accurate it should be a minimum 3*.