language selection

Hello,

is there a way to get only wayspots in the language who is selected in the profile? Because i life on the german side in a borderregion to czech republic, and i can't speak czech, only german and english, but i get many czech wayspot suggenstions, which i can't really evaluate.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• 00KiubaNo12-PGO00KiubaNo12-PGO Posts: 87 ✭✭

Maybe set your living location to some place in middle of germany?

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, there is no way to do that. You should use a translator on any submissions that you need to and do your best to evaluate them based on the results.

• purplepopple-INGpurplepopple-ING Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Seems unlikely. I am in Spain. (For upgraded submissions, i also get Portugal, Andorra, Gibraltar and the south of France.) The country has a number of regional languages. I hate reviewing in Basque, Catalan, Euskara, Galician, Asturias and the occasional other one. Unless stops have multilingual options with translation selection, this seems unlikely to change.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously, use a translation tool. There are multiple ones that are pretty good at translating to and from English, even if the source/target language is small and/or obscure.

I live in Hungary. I get nominations in German, Slovak, Slovene, Croatian, Serbian, Romanian, Ukrainian, Czech and Polish, with an occasional Bulgarian or English thrown in the mix. I don't even remember the last time I couldn't figure out what a nomination was using Google Translate.

The quality of the title/description is ore often hard to judge, but that's not too common either.

• 00KiubaNo12-PGO00KiubaNo12-PGO Posts: 87 ✭✭

That must be really bad. I live in central Poland and I only got few nominations in Czech or Slovak (they are so similar that I cannot tell the difference) that are close enough to Polish that I understand most of it.

• mrJtwo-PGOmrJtwo-PGO Posts: 36 ✭✭

At the borders it is very annoying it has happened to me, perhaps in this case Niantic should take into account the location and the language of the players to give a solution

• I live in Germany (Cologne area) and get a lot of dutch/belgian nominations, wich I can understand but also French nominations from Belgium and even France , wich I have to translate. ( as well as all kinds of other languages if someone submit a nomination in Germany/Netherlands/Belgium in a different language)

But the nearest Place in France is about 200km air disctance and 240 km by car/3h drive away, so seems not to be a problem of living at the border.

Given the quality of some remarks in nominations translations can be a problem.

• MaraGiselle-PGOMaraGiselle-PGO Posts: 4 ✭✭

I live in the south of spain and I'm getting submissions in Farsi to review. I wish there was some way to avoid getting these, I usually just stopped reviewing and give it some time until a new submission appears. Niantic should fix this instead of making us review something that we have no idea what it is.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are two major problems that would need to be solved to implement reviewer language selection:

1. There is no requirement that the language of the submission be in the majority or official language of the area (nor should there be, in my opinion). If reviewers could select their language preferences, minority languages (or majority languages in small regions) would take much longer to receive a result, if they ever receive one at all.

2. Language selection could potentially be abused by groups to approve illegitimate submissions. All it would take is a group of players agreeing to submit with a description in an obscure language and then add that language to their list of spoken languages. They would then be the only ones reviewing the submissions and could approve anything they feel like.

What I WOULD like to see is a translation widget built into Wayfarer (not just by using a browser extension). I'm pretty sure Google and other services have them available, though I don't know what kind of costs might be attached.

• I live in western Germany and am regularly faced with Dutch and French language submissions. I've gotten used to using google translate for submissions, but what drives me crazy is "which title/description is the best" in a language I don't speak. I obviously don't know and google translate usually doesn't help.