Mass rejections by "Photo of a line animal"

s3w2-INGs3w2-ING Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

After successfully over 250 wayspots, since 2013, I'm genuinely frustrated with these latest events. In a span of two weeks, 9 of my +30 submissions were rejected by "Photo of the nomination appears to be of a live animal instead of a valid object" (plus other reasons).

This is absurd. Just today, I've received 3 rejections by "live animal". Most of these submissions have been sitting in the queue for more than 6 MONTHS. I don't think this is target harassment but probably a work of one or more individuals sabotaging new wayspots. I don't want to get in x-faction dramas or in a conspiration theory, I'll let Niantic find that out for themselves. But please, have a look of the latest that were rejected.

A Chapel

Your nomination is rejected due to the following reason(s): Photo of the nomination appears to be of a live animal instead of a valid object.

Art Gallery

Your nomination is rejected due to the following reason(s): 

Photo of the nomination appears to be of a live animal instead of a valid object,

The real-world location of the nomination appears to obstruct the driveway of emergency services or may interfere with the operations of fire stations, police stations, hospitals, military bases, industrial sites, power plants, or air traffic control towers,

Photo is low quality (e.g., pitch black/blurry photos or photos taken from a car).

A graffiti artwork

Photo of the nomination appears to be of a live animal instead of a valid object

Nomination does not appear to be permanent or appears to be a seasonal display that is only put up during certain times of the year,

The real-world location of the nomination appears to obstruct the driveway of emergency services or may interfere with the operations of fire stations, police stations, hospitals, military bases, industrial sites, power plants, or air traffic control towers.

A café/restaurant

Photo of the nomination appears to be of a live animal instead of a valid object

The real-world location of the nomination appears to be on private residential property or farm,

Photo appears to include a recognizable face.

Cobblestone artwork

Photo of the nomination appears to be of a live animal instead of a valid object.

Insufficient evidence that the nomination accurately reflects the submitted real-world location based on comparison of the submitted photo and map views

An artistically painted recycling unit

Nomination title or description contains a URL or HTML markup,

The real-world location of the nomination appears to be on the grounds of a primary/secondary school (up to K-12) or on the premises of a child care/day care center.

A 100-year old factory ruins and tiles

Nomination does not meet acceptance criteria,

The real-world location of the nomination appears to be on private residential property or farm.

A community association that promotes hiking and walks

Nomination does not meet acceptance criteria.

I'm not appealing to these decisions. Apart from Live Animal, Obstructing Emergency Services does come up as well.

I've resubmitted a few of these, but they keep coming back with the same reject reasons - Live Animal included.

Why are these individuals allowed to review? It's frustrating. I take pride in my submissions, I research about the objects, place them in the correct locations, only to get them rejected after 6 months?

Come on...

@NianticCasey-ING, I know that you get 1,000 mentions daily, but can you have a look at this? I'm happy to provide all the data necessary.

Thank you

Comments

• Euthanasio2-PGOEuthanasio2-PGO Posts: 272 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

It's not uncommon for stuff like yours to be rejected for being a live animal or being a natural feature. It happened to be many times for footbridges and trail markers and I think it happened to me once for a store. It sucks, but I have no clue what to do about this. Some people unironically believe stores and footbridges are natural features and live animals and there seem to be people like that in all countries.

• SiIverLyra-PGOSiIverLyra-PGO Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel you. In my local case of mass rejections, they're always given the most random reasons. I've gotten "live animal" for inanimate objects several times.

I'm interested to see if Niantic will offer to help with this matter. I've not shared my case because I'm seriously doubting Niantic will do anything. But if they will, I might compile a list of my own too. It's a very long one...

• s3w2-INGs3w2-ING Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

For the sake of everyone, I really wish Niantic would supervise these kinds of reviewers. Cooldowns are a minor slap on the wrist for them. It's frustrating to invest time, wait months and this is the end result.

• Damastaglen-PGODamastaglen-PGO Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

I think some reviewers, whether it’s to get the badge in PoGo or Ingress or to keep getting upgrades for thier own stuff reject on mass with whatever reason their finger hits when they tap the screen.

Its happened to me and it sucks I know

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I remember correctly, Niantic has said that they are planning to re-review certain rejections, beginning with "Generic businesses".

If they follow through, I think "live animal" should be one of the priority rejection reasons to review. In my experience, it is extremely rare to encounter a submission where it's a genuine reason - I remember a total of maybe 2 or 3, and those could have been rejected for a variety of other reasons as well. And still, it seems to be very commonly picked judging by my own submissions' rejections and posts on this forum. IMO, it would be the easiest way to crack down on reviewers picking nonsensical rejection reasons.

Just got 4 more replies. They have something in common. See if you can spot it.

A post box from 1890-1900

The real-world location of the nomination appears to be on private residential property or farm.

A coat of arms from 1800 outside a palace

Photo of the nomination appears to be of a live animal instead of a valid object.

A graffiti artwork

Insufficient evidence that the nomination accurately reflects the submitted real-world location based on comparison of the submitted photo and map views

Nomination does not meet acceptance criteria,

A graffiti made by Alex Senna, one of the most well-known Brazilian urban artists

The real-world location of the nomination appears to obstruct the driveway of emergency services or may interfere with the operations of fire stations, police stations, hospitals, military bases, industrial sites, power plants, or air traffic control towers

Photo is low quality (e.g., pitch black/blurry photos or photos taken from a car).

I'm at a lack for words. Help?

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this the only rejection reason you are getting or one of several?

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

The majority of your nominations are either invalid or borderline. But what I can see from the rejection reasons is that a significant portion of reviewers are voiding using the "Other Rejection Criteria" or simply don't realized that this rejection reason is for all nominations that don't meet criteria and doesn't have a specific rejection reason. Perhaps this is just reason to petition Niantic to return "Other Rejection Criteria" back to "Doesn't Meet Criteria".

From what I've posted, can you tell me why the 'majority' of these nominations are either invalid or borderline?

In some of them are exclusively rejected by "live animal", while in others they're in the mix (live animal included)

Resubmitted the artistically painted glass recycling unit and got rejected. These units were painted by artists during the MURO Festival'2016 - An urban art festival in Lisbon, Portugal. These works of art are all commissioned by the council.

Nomination does not appear to be permanent or appears to be a seasonal display that is only put up during certain times of the year.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mail boxes idk why uk try to make them eligible but generally they arent or are very borderline dependingon monarch from what ive seen for uk.

coat of arms outside palace seems like it would definitey be private property

graffiti is generally not eligible unless it is a sanctioned artist for it. You would have to prove that. I wouldnt call it graffiti if it was though. Id call it a painting

Let's go through them one by one

1. Church: Should be a good candidate. I'm not sure why it didn't get approved beyond reviewers could not independently verify that the church existed at that specific location
    2. Art Gallery: This is the first borderline nomination. A significant number of reviewers will consider this a generic business and rejected them, even if I personally would have accepted it
    3. Graffiti Artwork: These can range all over the place and is very dependent on location, pedestrian access, and precised permanence. But it is also entirely up to reviewers on whether it meets the threshold of "cool work of art".
    4. Cafe/restaurant: These nominations are very dependent on the case the nominator makes that the cafe/restaurant meets criteria. Just because a cafe or restaurant exists doesn't mean it meets the eligibility criteria.
    5. Cobblestone artwork: Like graffiti and other street art, it is entirely up to reviewers on whether it meets the threshold of "cool work of art". There is also the issue of pedestrian access. If it is part of a walkway or sidewall, I would give it a pass. But if it is in a driveway, then I would rejected it as not having pedestrian access.
    6. Painted recycling unit: Again, it is up to the reviewers on whether it meets the threshold of "cool work of art". Personally, I don't think it does and would have rejected it.
    7. 100-year old factory ruins and tiles: So you mention it is old. But just because something is old doesn't mean it is historically significant, or even eligible.
    8. Community association: There are a lot of associates that "do good works" in various communities. But that doesn't mean that they are eligible. And though they may promote exercise, their offices do not appear to be great place to exercise. Instead, I get the impress that this is just office space.
    9. Mail box: The categorically do not meet criteria. Doubly so if it is on the side of private residential property. Just because one is old doesn't mean it is historically significant.
    10. Coat of arms: These are almost always decorative and not something I would class as cool work of art.
    11. Graffiti Artwork: See #3.
    12. Graffiti Artwork: See #3.

Thanks for your analysis. As I said in my post, I didn't share the description or statement used when I've submitted those. The majority of your assumptions are incorrect because you are not aware of the background of any of these, plus you jump into what "reviewers will consider". Anyway, let me add more info.

1. Chapel - no discussion
    2. Art Gallery - Per criteria, a great place for exploration. Opened in 1960, it was one of the first to exhibit famous Portuguese painters.
    3. Graffiti - This is on a support wall in a remote part of town. I can understand the review outcome, but there's no freaking live animal there.
    4. Cafe - Opened in late 1970's, this is one POI in this part of town, well-known for their scones
    5. Cobblestone - In Portugal, this a is a form of art - Calçada Portuguesa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_pavement This one in particular was commissioned by the city council.
    6. Painted recycling unit: This is one of the many works of art of this kind: https://artsandculture.google.com/exhibit/reciclar-o-olhar-galeria-de-arte-urbana/QQ7YhKQd?hl=pt-PT - Whether do you like or not, it's a commissioned work of art featured at the MURO festival
    7. 100-year old tile: Apart from being old, it's the last remains of a factory that led to the construction of a whole neighbourhood around it. The workers at this factory were key to a significant change in politics and the creation of unions. All of this is mentioned on the description and statement
    8. Community Association: You're wrong. This holds a cafe/pub that serves the purpose of community gathering point. Members participate in hiking, walks and other type of initiatives.
    9. Mailbox - one of the first of this neighbourhood. It's on the side of a restaurant.
    10. The coat of arms was sculptured in stone and it's on the corner of XVI century palace. It represents a family that was particularly famous that time.
    11. Graffiti - Again, on the wall that is used for graffiti - no live animal in sight
    12. Graffiti - This is done by Alex Senna, a well-known Brazilian urban artist http://www.alexsenna.com.br/ His work is amazing.

Again, most of your assumptions come from not knowing the background which is fine. I'm glad you didn't stop a live animal in any of these.

Thanks for your feedback.

The mailbox was placed in 1895, definitely not mass-produced - framed in the same way that some particular in the UK.

The coat of arms in on a corner of a palace that used by a theatre production company.

Graffiti/painting: All but one are signed and commissioned works of art

• XapwvKhanon-PGOXapwvKhanon-PGO Posts: 86 ✭✭

Cuando se refieren a que es estacional este en cualquier momento puede ser retirado

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

For your cafe again its old doesnt make it eligible. Scones cool. Have they won awards? Can you show proof via url of these awards? Can you show proof of url that they are a local hotspot? If i see a restaurant/cafe without a url its almost an instant rejection as no proof I’m not going to look for a way to make it eligible. As its your job to prove it not me.

Eso casi que puede pasar con todo y, en ese momento, hay que reportar su retirada a traves del juego.

Funny you chastise me for not knowing the details of each nomination when you provided no details at all. So what I had to go on where the images themselves.

Second, you asked why I stated that many of those nominations were either invalid or borderline. I provided details behind my statement. You may think that your nominations are the "Best thing ever" and "meets critiera in ever way" but that doesn't mean that the reviewers are inclined to agree with you. Especially when it comes to subjective standards as to what makes something a "cool work of art". The same goes for cafes and restaurants that are great places to socialize. People will frequently disagree in these areas and many reviewers are very skeptical, but it is up to you to assert your case and provide evidence supporting your claims that something meets criteria. But I laid out some of the hurtles you must overcome. It is still up to you to figure out how or even if they can be crossed.

Exactly, that's why I've provided what you're mentioning in the description and supporting statement. There are dozens of non-chain generic cafes are restaurant nearby. This one stands all for all the reasons mentioned in the submission and URLs to verify.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

The purpose of this post is not to analyse the nominations that were submitted, but the rejection reason: which all throughout them have the live animal reject. Someone or a group of people who are spamming the live animal rejection reason may have been borderline acceptances but because of this stupid reason brought them down. They may have been rejecting other nominations with the same reason, but the submitter was able to get good ratings overall for some to be approved.

The live animal(s) who are rejecting these for live animals need to be evaluated by Niantic by not voting accordingly and causing undue burden on the submitter. It is clearly a voting pattern. They are probably only voting nominations close to them 5-stars and everywhere else otherwise. And whether they are repeatedly 1-starring everything in this particular city or everywhere else, I would call abuse because slipping ones finger for all these instances is a loooooooong excuse.

• SiIverLyra-PGOSiIverLyra-PGO Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to say, I agree. I think the flippant approach some seem to have towards wrong rejection reasons is troubling.

The invalidity of a nomination does not justify giving it a random rejection reason. If rejection reasons were insignificant, then we wouldn't have had a whole list of them. These reasons are supposed to help educate submitters and assist them in improving their future nominations.

Reviewers who deliberately reject using random reasons are only doing harm. I don't see how it's less harmful to the community than any other form of Wayfarer abuse.

Thanks for recentering the discussion. This is a pattern, a concerning pattern. Whilst some of the submissions may be rejected from a valid point of view, NONE has a recognizable face, license plate, watermark or a live animal.

As stated, all of these nominations were rejected with a common reason: Live Animal. Some of there have also other reject reasons. This is what brought me here.

I can totally understand why a cafe with no background information or relevancy gets rejected by ORC, or a mural as temporary or anything else.

What brought me here was the need to alert Niantic (@NianticCasey-ING) to the systematic use of Live Animal without ANY justification.

Plus, I want to avoid a gigantic wall of text. :-)

• Stultusz-INGStultusz-ING Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

For all the active scouts in the terrain finding Wayspots frequently: We've all our fair share of valid candidates rejected, some of which with random rejection reasons.

Heck, even I had some rejected by Live Animal with no animal in sight but the one rejecting it.

However, and from what I could tell, this seems like a concerted action that supposedly Wayfarer system of checks and balances should take care of.

Either the system is not doing it's own part in filtering out malicious reviewers or someone found a way out to bypass it or tip the scales.

Remember that this is just a sample from one player. How many dozens or hundreds of carefully thought out nominations are being thrown to the trash with this idiocy?

Is this how we want to reward the active, dedicated players?

If we can't fix it, at least we should mitigate it with some measure like an option to appeal a rejected nomination (make it cost an upgrade, for instance) back into the Wayfarer queue, but only to be evaluated by a distinct pool of different, highly rated evaluators to ensure that the local influence doesn't completely block out valid candidates from entering the system.

Otherwise, with the apparent flaws of the system it's rather trivial for a malicious user to gather a couple Wayfarer-ready accounts and gamble the system on a local level. Specially when it's a small country with a low number of players.

Please check this - and other similar cases of repeated abuse as they'll wear down the system in the long run.

Niantic doesn't care about which specific reasons is chooses when rejecting a nomination, only that the rejection itself is reasonable give the critiera. We went through this for years with "Generic Business" being used to reject anything and everything that wasn't even a business. You are completely waiting your time complaining about a misapplied rejection reason and should instead focus on understanding why you nomination was rejected.

• Lechu1730-PGOLechu1730-PGO Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

Well, to be honest I agree with the OP. A reviewer incapable of chosing the right rejection reason shouldn't be reviewing. That the nomination should have been rejected anyway isn't a excuse for improper reviewing.

• XapwvKhanon-PGOXapwvKhanon-PGO Posts: 86 ✭✭

A mi me han rechazado 16 veces un parque infantil y me dicen que no existe o que es un animal vivo

• Lechu1730-PGOLechu1730-PGO Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I have to take back my comment about those selecting "live animal" being bad reviewers. If you take a look at the list of rejection reasons, "live animal" is just below "other rejection criteria". When reviewing on the phone it's quite easy to misclick.

And today, another rejected submission. This a one of a kind example of the Portuguese pavement artwork. This was commissioned by city council: https://twitter.com/CamaraLisboa/status/1347589420724219907

Photo appears to be tilted, sideways, or upside down.

Live animal showing up. Reviewers were lazy by not following links or even look at a provided photosphere. This is ****.