I don't want to waste my time on this system anymore.

Got rejected because of private residential property. Really? It even does not sit on the boundary of a private residence.

I understand no appeal for rejections but this kind of BS rejection really hurts. I don't want to waste my time anymore. I'm trying hard to verify each nomination when I review but some reviewers obviously don't want to take a few more seconds to enlarge the map and take one more look.

Comments

• kubiphd-PGOkubiphd-PGO Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited February 2021

It's a Memorial Square dedicated by the government. I can hardly imagine such an official memorial site is ineligible.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I've seen this particular one before because I remember poking around on Google Maps. I can't find the previous discussion, though.

• sophielab-INGsophielab-ING Posts: 266 ✭✭✭✭

It is not a street sign. The streets are clearly right below it. They're different. These are placed by the city or town. They are for service members who were either killed in the line of duty or missing in action.

They should pass but the only ones I see passing are the ones that also have an explanation written on it that state what branch of the military they served in and usually KIA or MIA. Also, they need to be in front of businesses, apartments or next to parks (yes, I know this one is but it's not unusual to have them near the family's house or in a traffic island).

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I can find your nomination on Streetview, and I can see the sign. My question is, where exactly is "Michael Abraham Square"? I'm struggling to find anywhere nearby that looks like it might fit the bill.

Can you post your entire nomination so we can see both photos and text.

• toniukupaoni-INGtoniukupaoni-ING Posts: 41 ✭✭

Plazas (squares) are eligible. This sign, altough generic, could be fine as a placemarker.

Thanks all for your replies. I'm not so frustrated now and I'm thinking how I could improve it. If this were accepted, one more gym would be in this S14 cell. So I spent my upgrade, which I earned by spending a lot time on reviewing, on this nomination because in my opinion it is a safe accept.

Maybe I need to explain more about this kind of memorial squares in the city. I've seen a lot memorial square nominations when I review so I took it for granted that reviewers would have in mind what this kind of memorial sites mean. And I did give a brief explanation about that in supporting information:

This is a memorial square dedicated to war hero Michael Abraham who proudly served America and was killed in Germany during World War Ⅱ. This kind of memorials can always remind people of the brutality of war and the preciousness of peace. It is located on sidewalk in front of a business building so a very safe place.

I can point out that such memorial squares are not always a bit object in this area. And I could provide a link to the official Boston Hero Squares website. But that PRP reason is still ridiculous. I know sometimes rejection reason in email is not accurate, but my assumption is that reasons in email are selected based on how reviewers vote, or it doesn't make sense for programmers to randomly select rejection reasons in a poll. Based on this, I concluded that some reviewers reject it using PRP and that's why I was so angry at first.

• sophielab-INGsophielab-ING Posts: 266 ✭✭✭✭

It is not unusual to have to submit the memorial squares more than once to have them be accepted. If you're on one of those discords for Boston, then ask people because I know people are submitting them and they can tell you what they had for support information. The link sounds like an excellent idea. I know they usually have to state it's in front of apartment building or multifamily and not single family in support statement as well.

• thegame1745-INGthegame1745-ING Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

They CAN be eligible if its a great place for exercice or as a gathering place. they are not valid by default.

Without a title and based on this image alone. it's a submission about a street sign...so invalid.

it's upto the submitter to convince the reviewers, which in this case did not happen.

Based on SV this is not the same square as you image. i'm not going to gather in the middle of the street.

But it is next to a park... which hasn't been nominated yet. i see 4 or 5 better submissions in the surroundings, so why go for a tough one?

edited February 2021

I thought memorial squares are easy because a lot of them are already accepted in this area. It should meet historic criteria (I stated it is memorial sq in the title and description). But I do need to give more supporting information next time. It is the same square as in the photo, I took the picture standing in front of that business/apartment building (just notice where that wreath is). I guess you mean Brucewood St Park? There're no trespassing signs in the park (viewable on Google SV) so I didn't nominate it.

Post edited by kubiphd-PGO on
    edited February 2021

@kubiphd-PGO Presumably no trespassing means "Hey, don't go into the park when it's closed"? If the park is open sometimes then it's absolutely an excellent submission.

When I looked at the memorial square sign submission a few weeks ago I remember seeing a sign but not anything that looked like a public square. I was puzzled by what the sign was actually for.

Thanks for your reply. In this case I think that just means no public access.

Yes I realized I need to put more effort in explaining this kind of memorial squares around Boston. Lots of them are similar to this. If I see such one when reviewing I will give it a 5* immediately unless it violates PRP (but I will check that very carefully) or pedestrian access. As I said above, I shouldn't have taken it for granted that other reviewers are aware of this.

• Ochemist-INGOchemist-ING Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd definitely really spell out what these are, particularly if you are going to upgrade them and get them out of the region (keep in mind that they don't seem to exist outside of Massachusetts or perhaps New England more generally). The first time I reviewed one I was utterly baffled about where the "square" was. It made a lot more sense once I figured out that it was sort of an honorary thing that was not to be taken literally. This is the rare kind of U.S. submission that really would benefit from staying local, but since nothing moves in the Boston area without an upgrade, I can see why you might not have a lot of options.

Thanks for your advice. Good to know an upgrade would remove the region of a nomination.

• Ochemist-INGOchemist-ING Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, upgraded submissions are sent to a national audience and get processed very quickly (usually within about 3-4 hours if not faster in my experience). In past when they weren't processed nearly as quickly, I assumed that they needed at least a couple of local reviews, but with the super-fast times to decision we now have, I don't know if that is even possible in many areas.

I think it is always worth making sure that a submission is clear to everyone who might review it and not just to locals. Your submission could get upgraded. It could get reviewed by tourists. It could be seen by people who set their bonus or home locations to your area. It doesn't take much effort to add a sentence to the supporting information that says something like, "The city of Boston creates symbolic public squares to honor (whatever description goes here) and identifies them with signs attached to street sign posts."