Stop approving terrible advertising maps on the side of petrol stations

KwyjiboHan-PGOKwyjiboHan-PGO Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
edited March 2021 in Criteria Clarifications

Why are Vape shop adverts and other assorted tat being accepted as POIs. They are terrible mass produced dreck which offer you less than whatever mapping app you have on your phone. They are adverts by a private company who pay to put them up on the walls of random businesses. One of these was a "featured wayspot" last week which is a clear indictment against my local community. Please 1* this garbage.

Stop being so awful Britain.

Post edited by KwyjiboHan-PGO on

Comments

• phi2458-PGOphi2458-PGO Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

I would approve this board personally.

We could acquire a lot of information with our phones. And that did not make information boards ineligible. Furthermore, advertisement is not a reason for rejection. In my opinion, we should rate it according to its merits. I would say it provides some valuable information, and it is a great place to be explored.

• B00JL5YI7G-PGOB00JL5YI7G-PGO Posts: 244 ✭✭✭

Sewage manhole <Your opinion <Other approved projects

• Aeryle88-PGOAeryle88-PGO Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

I don't see any problem with this map.

Stop refuse everything.

• purplepopple-INGpurplepopple-ING Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

I would probably approve it assuming there were not like 20 others like it already approved. Also, hurrah! You can read it! (I have approved similar ones in Spain where they are covered in grafitti and barely legible.)

• Ark4242-PGOArk4242-PGO Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

I had a map with no advertisements rejected because it was "presented by" a local izakaya. It's the only map on the wall. It's at a bus stop with a big overhead roof. It shows lots of local businesses nearby. But because izakaya = place that serves beer, it was rejected for abuse, explicit content, etc. Way to go Japan. I guess we have the other side of the spectrum when it comes to these kinds of things over here.

Classic example from Spain of a community map/notice board. These almost always seem to pass. I give 3*s accordingly.

• Ark4242-PGOArk4242-PGO Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Wow. That's literal trash. And it gets accepted there?

Look at these kinds of things I can't get accepted at all in Japan:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/EJCRrdV94pPR0XCqqsinMHXudbM8UG_edwJih6D0VIzmU4uNNXddX9m2yo5PsvnjAE6rCxXZ8KyqFoifv7g9eSNsFjVy=s0

• KwyjiboHan-PGOKwyjiboHan-PGO Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

They always seem to pass because people like you give it 3* when in fact an unused noticeboard full of what is basically litter should be 1*. No doubt there will be those who facetiously argue that it "provides some valuable information, and it is a great place to be explored", but those nominations should be excised. I have a 68% agreement rate (a great rating) despite throwing all these into the bin (bins sure to be the hot 5* trend in Summer 2021).

Note that while your example is a noticeboard which just happens to be unused and unmaintained, my original post was about advertising. You cannot post notices there, you can only pay to have your advert displayed on the side of a drive through McDonald's.

Waiting for the Brits to chime in that, actually, the wall of a Londis is a great place to be explored.

• Lechu1730-PGOLechu1730-PGO Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

Actually, those aren't exactly noticeboards. The name they have, Punto de Libre Expresión (Free Expression Point), in a certain way gives an idea of their use: they're there for people to attach whatever leaflet they designed to promote something, in the hopes that giving them such a place will discourage them to attach them to random walls, street or traffic lights, etc.

So the example on the picture wasn't exactly unmantained. On the contrary, it seems to have been recently cleaned.

Anyway, I'd rate them 1*.

Love the implication I pass everything. I don't. I maintain a great rating while having about 2/3rds of my agreements being rejections. I probably fail 80% and I am not hitting many cooldowns. I pretty much give everything I pass 3 or 4 stars (except in location and pedestrian access, where easy 5 stars). (And I submit way more for deletion than I do for new POIs. Batting average is much higher for deletions.) If **** is getting passed in Spain that you disapprove of, then set it as your bonus location and improve it. (Because I am now dealing with a glut of mail boxes because of the British, with people citing the British ones as making them toots legit.) I try my best to keep the **** out. (Actually, set your bonus location for San Lorenzo de Escorial as I suspect shenanigans there.)

And I don't see a huge problem passing that. Not my favorite but meets the guidelines as far as I am aware. Almost every type of eligible thing will have grafitti on it. Where the hell people get all the spray paint, I have no idea. (Well maybe.) I have legit signs explaining trail maps that have been tagged. Signs explaining plants with tags. I had a hotel for insects info thing in the supporting information photo with a tag. Everything is tagged. In Madrid, about the only maps that aren't tagged are big metro and bus line maps. Those are so common so I do not to pass. I also don't pass escudos or historic markers saying X lived here on obvious private dwellings. (Which seem not to get tagged.)

A map with paid advertising that was protected I don't see as a huge issue. Not a great submission but meh.