Object under construction?

Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few days ago I came across an interesting nomination and I keep thinking about it, so I decided to throw it in as a topic to find out how others on this forum feel about this.

The nomination was a new church under construction. The roof was almost ready, you could see the scaffolding on the side and the empty slots that will eventually be filled with windows and doors. It didn't meet any rejection criteria, the picture was okay quality, the location was correct. The photo showed the actual church being built (without any people or license plates), I could corroborate it using articles and blog posts. Google Maps already had a marker at the location of the new church with its full name. It's clearly safely accessible to construction workers, at least. It would've been a perfect 5* slamdunk nomination, had it been completely finished. But this way, I had to mull over it for some time. Eventually I decided to accept it thinking of the Sagrada Familia Cathedral of Barcelona - technically it's also unfinished and still being constructed, but it still definitely is a point of interest.

I couldn't find any information on whether I made the correct decision or not. Does anyone know about a former clarification or AMA answer that refers to something similar?

Comments

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait until after construction is finished and the congregation starts having meetings there. Otherwise, it isn't a place of worship yet and won't meet the criteria until services are held.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's an interesting building, though, with unique architecture, so I think it meets the "exploration" criteria.

• WandHerring-PGOWandHerring-PGO Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭

I would say that if the construction can't be distinguished from repair work, then it has progressed enough to be most likely finished. Pictures can be updated then. However, while I wouldn't stop a 5* slamdunk for it, but I might hold it against a gray-er submission. For instance if the description or title is full of typo, the picture is not that great in the first place... then it hits too many orange lights in my book to be accepted.

On the other hand, if you have, like, half a building, still under tarp and with heavy machinery around, I would vote no: picture will be quickly outdated, greater chance the building may not be finished, not safe for pedestrian access...

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

i am completely against the idea of having unfinished things as a wayspot.

Why the hurry? This can wait until something is properly done. The Church will have it´s christening, and opening, and then it could be submitted.

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

The question was not "should I submit a chruch under construction?", it was "I reviewed a church under construction, did I vote right on it?“

So advising the person to wait and submit later isn't really what the person was asking!

I don't think you did wrong to accept it - it will be eligible by being a place of worship and you said it is already an interesting building due to the architecture, so I think it is already eligible and will just become more eligible in time.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completely agree with you on that the nomination should have been postponed until it's finished. However, it wasn't and there I was, having to decide whether it met acceptance criteria (IMO, yes) and if it met rejection criteria (I don't think so). So, purely based on my interpretation of the guidelines, I accepted it.

My main question was whether people know of any official communication or guideline, current or not, that deals with this issue. But seeing the answers, I've concluded that there probably isn't any.

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

tbh, i guess Niantic didnt even thought of the idea that someone would submit something that isnt done.

maybe someone will submit an empty grass field because there are plans to build a church there.

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

I think churches often take many years to be totally complete anyway... I have visited 2 cathedrals on holiday that took several centuries to complete but were of course open for worship most of that time.