Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

U.K. Postboxes

Firstly an apology, I made a massive mistake last year asking the AMA postbox question but it opened a Pandora’s box that needs to be closed

The majority of postboxes are just regular and mass produced, realistically the only interesting ones are Edward Viii ones as there are only 138 left. Penfold postboxes are interesting as they are visually unique and Golden postboxes have an interesting history as each one was painted in honour of an Olympic Gold Medallist.

please can we get some clarification that the more common and less interesting ones are not eligible. There are 18,213 GR postboxes and many are now becoming portals, add those to the 9000 GViR postboxes and that’s a lot of low quality portals entering the network

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh boy. Are there going to be a lot of Brits disappointed by that news. But I am glad to see some sanity brought back involving those post boxes.

• Perringaiden-INGPerringaiden-ING Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

@NianticCasey-ING There you go making the poms cry. 😂 But really it was getting out of hand. Thanks for the clear statement.

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oof, glad I'm not a UK reviewer. Spreading this criteria clarification is gonna be a pain.

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

@NianticCasey-ING this is one of the clarifications you should 100% add to the next update to criteria clarifications to the wayfarer site. Many UK reviewers believe that any mailbox that isn't a EiiR mailbox is eligible.

• Dice3423-INGDice3423-ING Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

It's already clear in the help section.

Potentially confusing nominations.

Post offices - Eligible, as long as they are standalone buildings rather than individual postboxes, windows, etc. 

November release 2019. Is more current than the outdated AMA answer.

• YouLostAStar-INGYouLostAStar-ING Posts: 280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the quick response @NianticCasey-ING

• Senmana-INGSenmana-ING Posts: 129 ✭✭✭✭

The wording was already clear, mass produced postboxes should be rejected. The vast majority of postboxes are mass produced and just having a cipher of a previous monarch doesn't make them historic. Old =/= historic.

But someone on reddit made an unofficial infograph with ticks on most of the ciphers and reviewers seemed to take that as official and approved nearly everything 🙈

Thanks for this clarification. I still love my Edward VIII, and I appreciate you asking the original question YouLostAStar because it gave me a new obsession 🙃 Also it did add a lot more Wayspots to areas that had little else. But it was getting out of hand 🤣

I agree with @Perringaiden-ING you would not tell friends about your GR postbox at the end of the road.

ive made a trip out to see an EViiiR because they are genuinely very rare (because he abdicated immediately so very few very made) and Golden ones I always find out which Olympic medallist it was painted for which is an interesting story but other than that a postbox is just for Mail, it is kinda cute we have an obsession with cyphers but it’s not enough for 30,000 portals because of it

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would you ask this? It was clear and everyone was happy with how it was, especially since it was the HISTORICALLY SIGNIFICANT part that people were submitting them for, not the uniqueness. No to mention the vast majority of suburban areas were getting stops due to the post boxes. You hsbent helped ang gane by asking such a loaded question, instead you've ruined every game for everyone

@gazzas89-PGO It was very clear that many people were not happy with the current situation but most had just accepted how it was.

you are also Massively overstating the historical importance of them. while it’s a bit interesting and cute we have the cypher on the front of postboxes it isn’t interesting enough to justify over 30,000 portals

Who? Who wasnt happy? Reddit, telegram, dowcord, facebook, everything is pretty much happy about it. What you mean is the VAST minority m, yourself included, didnt like it, so rather than consider all these empty areas, rather than consider the rest of the player bases, you took it upon yourself to change the question (you have, you've made no.mention of historical or iconic for gr or grvi) so that they so t come through, you have intentionally loaded the question and its notnheloing anyone other than I assume a few people who don't like reviewing them, which is stupid as even if you and a few others dont like it it's easy agreements. And you have been extremely selfish on this given how many suburban areas and villages require something like these. Also, your argument is 30000 portals...... **** our country is massive, 30,000 portals is nothing in the grand scheme of things. If your gonna complain about that then are you gonna complain about all those play parks that are going through?cause that will be well over a hundred thousand of those. Tiuve not helped anyone here you've attempted to ruin every game, you've attempted to ruin the fun for people and all be auze you have his weird idea that people dodnt want then when they clearly did otherwise they wouldnt have gone through, you have been so selfish here and should have properly explained it to niantic Casey rather than put through the unbelievable loaded question

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gazzas89-PGO uniqueness of things is one of the guiding principles of what makes a good POI.

As I have said in another thread, Niantic have already said "please keep in mind that our goal is not to ingest every possible POI to get as many Portals/Wayspots as possible, but rather to ingest unique, interesting, artistic or notable local hotspots where players could gather or learn/discover something about their community."

Having thousands of postboxes as POI's goes against this principle.

@gazzas89-PGO lmao if you think I’ve “ruined the game for you” because some things shouldn’t be portals. Go investigate your local area a bit better and find genuinely interesting things to submit. There are good things out there but you have to put the effort in to go find them

Except it doesnt. People are going out and exploring more because of the post boxes. I've had several people go back to playing pogo because I got post boxes through, with all of them saying something along the lines of "I didnt even know that was there". If you wanna say uniqueness is an argument, then I'm guessing no play parks should go through and theres at least 10 times more of those, post offices shouldn't go through since they aren't unique. Unless you can give me a good reason why HISTORICAL AND ICONIC (which they are, they are listed and shown as part of Britain's culture) shouldnt be put through, then you only come off as a selfish person who doesnt want others going out and playing the game, just like he OP who loaded the question in his favour rather than actually explaining it properly (like the original question from the ama did)

It doesnt matter anyway. I'm ignoring this as it was clearly a bias question from the OP and I can guarantee pretty much everyone else will apart from the very sad, pathetic minority who will believe that its ruining something when in actuality it's been helping everyone

LOL. Brits are mad on Reddit that someone even dared asked for clarification since this was so explicitly contrary to the stated criteria. I honestly couldn't understand how a very common, mass-produced object meet the criteria even when the criteria explicitly stated that mass-produced objects (and individual postboxes) were ineligible. The rules should apply to everyone equally, without exemptions.

Indidnt say ruined the game for me, I said ruined the game for everyone you selfish idiot. Maybe where you are you got lucky, but in my area I've been out and walked round every street a hundred times over it was post boxes and a park, that was its and it's the same for the vast majority of suburban areas. You didnt even address the fact you loaded he question, toy didnt even address the fact that you lied saying that most people all were complaining when it was the exact opposite. You try to bring up this "30000 portals"as though that's a lot when its probably less than a decent sized city has altogether. There is literally no reason for anything you've done with this other than to be a spiteful, selfish, inconsiderate person and the fact so many people have disagreed with you on telegram says it all.

• Senmana-INGSenmana-ING Posts: 129 ✭✭✭✭

@gazzas89-PGO The original question on the AMA was also asked by @YouLostAStar-ING if you weren't aware. He's not rewording someone else's question or trying to get a different answer. Both questions and answers here are basically the same. Mass produced postboxes have no historical value and never did.

Yes in aware, and he has reworded it, he originally mentioned the history and the iconic significance of them, which he hasn't done now. Hes loaded he question thisntime hes lied since then trying to make sound like the majority dont want post boxes anymore, hes been deceitful this whole time and anyone agreeing with him is just being selfish as well.

If all something needs to be is iconic to be eligible, then US postboxes would fit the "iconic critiera" since they all have a uniform shape, color, and are everywhere. Same would go with phone booths. But instead, those things are rejected as common and mass-produced objects. And why does it seem that just about everything in Briton is declared "iconic". McDonald's "Golden Arches" are iconic, but they aren't eligible.

@Pangarban-ING was not aware he had been having this argument for a while, it explains why hes clearly worked the question to hide the iconic and historical values that he himself brought up in the original question way back. Knew I was right to tell him to delete it and word it properly so it wasnt loaded