Problem with confirming location of India Nominations

So I have set Mumbai as my bonus location a week ago. Before pandemic I have travelled there a couple of times and was glad I could help in the forthcoming Wayfarer Challenge. Since then, I have been getting a handful of nominations from India and vast majority of them fail (despite being eligible), because it is not possible to confirm location :(. The spheres are largely non-existent, no tags in Google and supportive photos most often are just a replica of the main photo. I foresee this as a huge challenge in the coming event. Is there a way to help spread some education about submitting a photosphere or making better supportive pic to India submitters? Photospheres could actually be supplemented even now, while the noms are in voting, they are loaded dynamically to the nomination each time it is flashed in WF....

Tagged:

Comments

• aaronvianno-INGaaronvianno-ING Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

You have to try to match the surroundings in the main and supporting, to the satellite view. In the middle of the location accuracy scale, there are 2 to 4 stars. They come in handy for the not so obvious reviews.

And fyi Mumbai is much better off than other parts of India.

• ReyanPL-PGOReyanPL-PGO Posts: 6 ✭✭

Well I would love to, but most of supportive photos are exactly same as the main one, and there is only satellite view which (except for water towers) shows you nothing. The WF event will turn into festival of rejections, and even the +3000 goal seems very hard to reach (comparing to the +5000 we have achieved in Poland). In Poland it was ~25% accepts, 75% rejects. In India it is 95% rejects, 5% accepts... Asking submitters to post photospheres of their nominations could greatly help into having more wayspots added, and there is still time to prepare it... . I am dreaming that such instruction was posted in the official WF channel as a part of event information...

• MrVerse-INGMrVerse-ING Posts: 16 ✭✭

Ah yes... Festival of Rejection.... This is what I actually afraid off too. Well, at least clearing in queau submissions is still a good thing.

Here is an example. Good luck confirming it is there....

• Mormegil71-INGMormegil71-ING Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

If you have no obvious reason to deny the location, you should rate it 3* in location. Photospheres have never been obligatory.

Photospheres have never been obligatory, but it is submitters job to prove the location of the object. If you can't see/tag it on the satellite view, you have to submit an insightful supportive photo, showing some recognizible objects in the background, street name or address tag, eventually other POI. Just approving the location because "you can't obviously deny it" is opening the doors wide for location abuse. Such approach will be harmful in the long run for the games and should not be promoted.

• Jeroenix-INGJeroenix-ING Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

Just reviewed my first batch, ran into the same problem. Unfortunately, submitters are not making smart use of the supporting photograph and statement. I do hope submitters from India read this forum, I'm making a seperate thread with the issues I've run into and solutions.

• KetaSkooter-INGKetaSkooter-ING Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

I think your measure of cannot be found is too high and your expectations of proof are first world problems. If someone's going to fake the location they're going to fake a photosphere location. Theres near zero third party photo help in India. Most of the supporting photos could be better from what i've seen but its not like we're reviewing locations in the suburbs on Europe or North America. From the looks of it most of the buildings are multi family locations so we don't need to worry about private residential property in the cities for most of the nominations.

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

ppl, what do you expect? This is India, and if you are used to the stuff you get in continental Europe or the USA, you will be in for a surprise.

Try to review with the eyes of someone that is from this culture and lives in it.

THIS is one of the basic things why Wayfarer does only work locally. You cannot review things from India when you are from Germany. 1* incoming. We germans even cannot review things that are from the Netherlands or Poland without 1* agogo.

• Orochimaru094-INGOrochimaru094-ING Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

It's not easy to review the nomination of the unknown area especially when you review the nomination of a culturally diverse country like India where most of the nominations are not tagged in google maps and have fewer street views.

But since Review is a judgemental process you may review nominations based on maps and judging surrounding portals as well

Best Options are

1. Marker on G-maps and 360* views, but not everything has 360* views
    2. If Nomination is not marked on G-maps then Zoom in Map and check whether it's viewable in maps or not and look at surrounding portals as well based on them take judgment
    3. or Give 3* Instead ( Why wasting sm1 nomination when you have no idea of location lets locals decide if the location is not accurate they may change it later on by requesting niantic but if nomination get reject than its again long process)

as i live in germany, we dont do 360* views. ppl vote things here anyway.

yes, locals are always the better option, but niantic doesnt want locals to review local things. they rather let me review things in Ulan Bator than the town i play in.

• AlanNaive-PGOAlanNaive-PGO Posts: 3 ✭✭

My nomination gets rejected for no clear reason. Like for example, I nominated a college waiting shed with good supporting information and the reason for rejection was (it appears to be temporary or seasonal and the real world appears to be inappropriate and explicit activity) I'm so confused cause the location is just outside a college road. People in my area are just rejecting out of jealousy and without reviewing properly. I can just feel it in my gut.

• Blaumut-INGBlaumut-ING Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭

the college waiting shed is "we dont have much pokerstops around here" criteria.

• ApplPsydarr-PGOApplPsydarr-PGO Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Is giving it a 1* for location accuracy failing it? Like if everything else is good about it, is it given a rejection because of that 1* for just that one criteria? I didn't think so and just assumed the 1* from me could be evened out by locals who know the area. If this is not the case I will start skipping these ones. No need to ruin good nominations just because I am from another country trying to help and don't know the area.

• Missingn0Xpert-PGOMissingn0Xpert-PGO Posts: 17 ✭✭

I expect to receive a proper surrounding image, that's basically all I'm asking for. That's about the minimum effort players ought to put into their submissions and I can't think of a single reason why that wouldn't be possible in India. Providing reasonable Images showing the candidate AND prominent buildings or whatever one might recognize via gmaps is essential to help reviewers verify the location, especially once you're living in a country with hardly any 360°-images as in Germany or India or low resolution satellite imagery.

ppl are getting alot of feedback on twitter and FB from India. Alot of people ask to get their stuff accepted. Yes, there are no good satellite images, yes there is no street view, but please accept that thing that i submitted.

Well I came across this candidate, its some kind of religious shrine and therefore eligible. However you dont even get the chance to check the surrounding at the fault of the person who submitted it. While pedestrian access isn't that much of an issue, verifing the real world location is impossible and without any supplemental information (e.g. 360°-image, hyperlink to a newspaper article) this candidate is to be rated 1* --> mismatched location.

• mortuus-INGmortuus-ING Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

no rating as 1* is wrong, if not certain of location rate it *3. Try use best judgment with satellite view and hope others can be more accurate. I do this myself not only India but just because cant verify location does not mean should reject the submission. If obvious fake or stolen then yes.

can i select more than 1 thing? id like to give the submitter the complete information what is wrong here

If no surrounding architecture is presented, satellite imaging is useless for the vast majority of all candidates. Presenting the same image twice is a common "trick" to get a wayspot approved at a location where it does not exist.

• Poeticmajesty01-PGOPoeticmajesty01-PGO Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited March 2021

You would have found that the temple is marked in Google maps. It also has several photos, some of which are more than 3 years old. So, the nominator must haven't put a fake tag for acceptance of the nomination. These are enough to prove that this nomination is a valid one. I just searched the street address in Google Maps and I can see the tag of the temple and the photos. It is not that hard to gather pieces of evidence. Well, here is a link to the place in Google Maps https://goo.gl/maps/JAcytyWzUPMJk7MF9.

Post edited by NianticGiffard on

If you encounter such weird nominations, blindly reject them, no need to advise the nominator. At this moment Niantic doesn't share our advice in the rejection mail. Even if they do, that would go on deaf ears. I am from West Bengal and I know why these types of nominations are seen. These nominators aren't here to create a lot of good wayspots to boost the community, they are here for getting a wayspot at the proximity of their house and then they would stop nominating anything. They don't read the criteria and nominate at their will. We have tried a lot to help the wayfinders of West Bengal but they all were of no use at it is quite evident from all these poor nominations.

@Poeticmajesty01-PGO that is what i have to do. theres too much stuff that COULD be there, but in reality, it is no difference to our people in germany submitting fake painted powerboxes and "stolpersteine".

At first i thought, why would Niantic do something in Poland? After seeing the submissions from Poland, i suspected what Niantic is up to.

After seeing the submissions from India, i now know why Niantic is doing such events - to get rid of all the submissions.

Poland is still a small country compared to India. Here we have a lot of nominators compared to Poland. So, the event was hosted here to get rid of all the backlogged nominations which were either in queue or in voting for a prolonged period of time. We have a lot of potential here, which is sadly wasted by local nominators and a few foreign reviewers. I would like to add one point regarding the fake submission discussion. As I have been reviewing for over a year, I have encountered a lot of fake subs but the surge in fake submission came when the criteria to nominate a wayspot was taken down to level 38 pokemon go. Almost everybody has a level 38 Pokemon Go account due to friendship xp. They don't read the criteria at all and think that every building or artwork is a potential candidate. The veteran wayfinders understand the system and nominate according to it.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say that besides new people that might require a little bit of training, the fact is that many people have alt accounts in Pogo and those are more likely to be level 38 rather than 40 and people won't care too much if those accounts are banned from Wayfarer so they might try to nominate garbage or perform abuse with those accounts instead of their main one. Besides the fact that having 2, 3 or 4 accounts to vote might help them in their abuse.

we still have the same problems and same people in germany as everywhere.

add to that a nonexistant satellite view and here we go, 1*