Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

Well done! Come back soon when there's more to explore! = 4 day cooldown v2

SilverPT-PGOSilverPT-PGO Posts: 22 ✭✭✭

I'm taking the liberty to open a thread about this again because a) the previous one ( https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/11308/superb-job-your-contributions-are-game-changers-4-days-ban/p1 ) was closed without any explanation and b) this issue is NOT solved.

It's been the 3rd or 4th time (sincerely lost count) that I've been affected by this type of unnamed cooldown. Like me, there were +10 people on the previous thread also affected.

On 13/3 I reviewed 28 subs + 5 edits + 10 pictures = 43 total. During that week (8/3 - 13/3) I reviewed 80 subs + 19 edits + 33 pictures = 132 total. The cooldown started on 13/3 at 2:21 pm. It ended on 17/3. I can't exactly pinpoint the hour, but at 8:50 am I could review again.

On 17/3, I reviewed 25 subs + 3 edits + 8 pictures = 36 total.

On 18/3 (today), I started reviewing at 8:04 pm. I reviewed 50 subs + 12 edits + 7 pictures = 69 total. Got the cooldown at 11:36pm. A total of 2 hours and 32 minutes reviewing. That gives an average of +2 minutes per review.

So please, for the love of god, don't come here and say that I reviewed too fast. Or too much. Or that this is the end of queue. Portugal's a small country but its queue is NOT around 70 wayspots.

If this is an intentional feature, name it like so. Call it a 4 days cooldown and explain WHY it happens. If it's not, INVESTIGATE.

Tagged:
44 votes

Investigating · Last Updated

Comments

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

You expect Niantic to make up nominations just so you can review them? They already confirmed that this is the end of queue a while ago.

• SilverPT-PGOSilverPT-PGO Posts: 22 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

In the previous thread you asked for evidence, I provided, you disappeared. I come yet again with more evidence and you simply choose to close your eyes and deny everything.

@NianticCasey-ING @NianticGiffard Read EVERYTHING and investigate, please.

Post edited by NianticGiffard on
  • Cdk296-PGOCdk296-PGO Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Last Saturday I got banned. I did not had the opportunity to tell it on the last topic, but Wednesday everything was back again.

Then I guess I replied badly on a honeypot. It was one of those nomination when you have to choose the correct category. No idea how my notation was wrong, I guess I should have edited the position. I would have done the edit in other circumstances , but I did not know if honeypot tolerate this type of localisation edit.

@TheFarix-PGO are you actually using wayfarer or playing the game? Backlog is full as hell and there is dozen of people that have calculated the delay between the "end of queue" and when the reviews came back. It is 4 days every time. How does your theory explains those facts?

• AN0NIM07-PGOAN0NIM07-PGO Posts: 23 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

I agree with the line that "no candidate to review" is a hidden cooldown for 3-4 days.

I think this is system design fault.

Yes, every reviewers will have a range of candidate in their review queue to Review in a certain duration of time. If one complete all review, he is to get the "nothing to review,come later".

But the system takes about 3-4 days to restore the queue with new candidates. I think this is where the problem is. The system takes 3-4 days of time.

In old OPR Website, player would always get more review if they continue do refresh after the " nothing to review" screen. The old website/system refresh the queue more often to give new item to review.

But the new system/wayfarer takes 3-4 day to give new candidate to review after the "see you tomorrow/nothing to review"

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticCasey-ING this isnt really the case. as i found out the submissions are given out to the reviewer always. even if there WOULD NOT be any left that are in hometown, bonus locations, and active play area.

My son and i sometimes do have the same submissions after klicking "accept" (we share a desktop) - so this means that there are submissions that are given out to a larger playerbase at the same time.

right now, theres 10 people reviewing the same submission that was given out to them on purpose.

the submissions that a reviewer gets to review are not in a queue that one works down from top to bottom. the queue will not run out if there are hometown, bonus locations, and active play area Pool is empty.

You are mistaken, this 4-day cooldown is for people who continously make things to the system that it doesnt like. Dennis Nedry Picture comes up saying AH AH AH.

Hello @NianticGiffard. I'm not saying that this message doesn't appear when "there are no submissions to review at the moment". It does. But it also appears with THIS issue. I don't have any bonus location set, but I bet five bucks that if I selected India as my bonus location (which is part of the current WF Challenge and has a huge backlog/queue), I would STILL get this cooldown.

I'll go even further: when the first wave of this pandemic hit Portugal and we went into lockdown, exactly a year ago, the community actually cleared the queue. We would receive a message saying that there was nothing to review. If we waited 5 minutes, we would have new subs to review again. And this is how the system should work.

I'll repeat again, in case you didn't read: I live in Portugal, more specifically Lisbon. I receive subs from all around the country. Almost top to bottom. I even get subs from the border with Spain. So it's realistically impossible that there's nothing more to review.

I can give you even more evidence: last week me and my girlfriend's account both got this cooldown. We both got access to WF again on wednesday. We both review at the same time. She didn't get the cooldown this week. In fact, she's still reviewing.

My stats this week: 75 subs + 15 edits + 15 pictures = 105 total

Her stats this week (so far): 80 subs + 21 edits + 15 pictures = 116 total

So why does she still has access to WF and more subs to review than me? If there are new subs to review, why don't I have immediate access?

I'm grateful that you're investigating, but please look at the evidence provided and don't tell us that this is working as intended or that this is a message that we get when there's nothing more to review. It's clearly NOT the case.

Same here. If it is not a ban, then it is a bug related to the filling of the queue.

@SilverPT-PGO interesting. Does your girlfriend and you have the same ranking on wayfarer? Do you know the additional review were local review?

What proof? All you did was point to a bunch of people who had the same misconception. That's not proof nor did it deserve a response.

And this makes, what, the third time Niantic has confirmed that this is the end-of-queue message now? At what point do people stop believing their misconceptions and accept what Niantic says?

Well, I guess this answers my previous question...never. Because people like SilverOT and Gendgi are so attached to their false narrative that this is a 4 day cool down (or ban) instead of an end-of-queue message. And no matter how many times Niantic or anyone else states to the contrary, they will insist on their rightness because they somehow mysteriously know how the backend works.

No two people have the same queue. This has previously been explained before. Nor do all nominations enter the queue at once. We don't know the exact mechanics behind the scenes, but it is generally believed that nominations in the same S2 cell enter the queue one at a time, with the next one only entering after the first has been processed. You can complain about that particular system, but that doesn't mean that you get to redefine the end-of-queue message is anything other than the end-of-queue message.

And let me restate (for what good it does) that end-of-queue message does not reflect on your reviewing performance. It simply means that there are no more nominations for you to review. Nothing more, nothing less. Cool downs, on the other hand, are the result of your reviewing performance, either because your reviewing is too inconsistent, too fast, or some other factor that result from not following Niantic's eligibility/acceptance/rejection critiera.

edited March 2021

Again, I've presented plenty of DATA to support my claim (and I invide others to do the same, if they can) on this thread and on the previous one and you simply choose to ignore. Keep supporting that false narrative that everything is working as intended.

Post edited by NianticGray on
  • LexTolkien-PGOLexTolkien-PGO Posts: 14 ✭✭

This is getting annoying, I have subs in voting and in queue, there are subs to review so I don't get the 4-day-ban. I'm getting tired of having one of my favorite hobbies (yes, I ACTUALLY love mapping since I was a kid) being limited without a reason. I take my time to review and enjoy doing it, I follow the criteria and engage a lot in helping with subs so I find no reason for this ban, I'm getting sick of this, might as well go back to mapping google maps, at least they don't push me out for 4 days for no reason.

I think the discussion would be more healthy without the interventions of @TheFarix-PGO which already managed to got the previous topic closed after pissing off someone that was reporting the bug.

@LexTolkien-ING I also like to do this, this is why I do not like to be able to block a hour or two to clean a bit my local area. Also, I have a local park to fill with new stops.

I didn't get the previous thread locked. All I did was state what Niantic has said about it being the end-of-queue message. What got the other topics locked was all the personal attacks directed at me because I was refuting the claim it was some sort of hidden "cool down". @NianticGiffard has already removed several posts in this topic that were doing the exact same personal attacks as earlier and also edited out the persoal attacks that SilverPT made.

You did get the previous thread closed because you kept denying something even when facing evidence. Just like you're doing now, ignoring every post that doesn't suit your narrative.

By the way, two hours after I set my bonus location in India, still nothing to review (can provide a screenshot). There's also nothing to review in India?

• niktero-PGOniktero-PGO Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my data. I've reviewed for over a year and never gotten this 4 day ban until now. The first one began immediately after ncasey reset my bonus for the event and didn't clear up even after I choose my location in India, lasted 4 days. Second one happened within an hour of having access again and reviewing as normal and even slower than normal given the difficulty confirming locations in India. Third was today and day I once more gained access. I reviewed one in the midafternoon to test whether I could again. Then tonight I sat down for a dedicated session making sure to spend between 2 and 10 minutes per review checking them out and writing comments. After about 2 1/2 hours I have my third 4 day ban and so will only gain access to help on the last day of the event.

• Sicariana-PGOSicariana-PGO Posts: 7 ✭✭

I encountered this bug as soon as I signed up and completed the entrance exam. In other words, I encountered the 4-day cooldown without submitting a single review!

Today the nominations to review are back, precisely on the fourth day after the "ban" on Wednesday.

The previous post made me wonder : i am not sure but I wonder if I did not have less "ban" before I put a bonus/place of birth location... (which are the same, I wanted to have more stuff from my home city to review lol).

Update: changed my location to India at 4:37 pm yesterday. Checked at 5:17 pm, nothing to review. Checked in again today, at 11:01 am, still nothing to review. Needless to say that tomorrow this cooldown ends and the issue still exists.

• niktero-PGOniktero-PGO Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are brand new to reviewing it is possible you also have an issue where wayfarer is not registering your location correctly. If you have the bow and arrow from the USA and the spider from Tokyo in your showcase tab then this is a good indicator you have this problem. Check out this page for more details on how to fix. https://www.reddit.com/r/NianticWayfarer/comments/k5ff2v/no_nominations_to_review_answers_for_most/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

And shazam I just got banned because of a bad honeypot.

I like when wayfarer ask if a building is a church while the wayspot is actually a town hall ! Placed in a middle of a parking, I put it back where it should have been.

Suddenly just after there is nothing to review. I=Of course.

@NianticGiffard If you ban people based on honeypot check first the honeypot are good instead of drawing them at random from the database. I have ignored one earlier in the day to get an easier one, I think I will go on this politic from now on. On don't see an interest in not abusing a bad mechanic.

• Pollaryss-PGOPollaryss-PGO Posts: 42 ✭✭

@Cdk296-PGO I came accross a few bad honeypots too... I wasn't sure at first, but it then became quite obvious. They had some subtle issues and I was wondering if I was expected to take them into account... First time that happened, I'm pretty sure I reviewed correctly (took the issues into account) and my rating immediately dropped (took a few weeks to rise back). Second time I got a supposed bad honeypot, I clicked ignore and waited for a better one... After that, I had another honeypot which wasn't perfect (location impossible to confirm, no way to be sure the building next to it wasn't a school or a single PRP, big truck hiding the view on Street View !) but I had come to the conclusion that Niantic wasn't expecting me to think that much. And indeed, the right call was to approve. Now I'm thinking that with honeypots we have to keep it very simple.

edited March 2021

Personally I doubt there is pre-review of honeypot. There is too much of them in too much languages. And some are really bad. I think they are just took at random from the database. The one I reviewed was totally flawed.

Thanksfully my rating did not not go down and remain at the maximum.

9:43 pm here. More than 29 hours after I changed my bonus location to India, still no reviews.

Someone is going to come to tell you that is it is because the queue is empty in India.

Update: got access to WF again around 11:15 am. Will update again when I eventually get this cooldown again lol.

Any update on your part @NianticGiffard ?

• Ochemist-INGOchemist-ING Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had this happen to me on Friday evening after having done maybe 30-40 reviews sporadically over a few hours. This was after not having reviewed much for a couple of weeks. My main review area is a major metropolitan area, I have a rural bonus location, and my home location is another major metropolitan area. In the course of more than 32,000 reviews over 2.5 years I have never come close to hitting the bottom of the barrel here even after having done many much longer sessions. Just the people I know have hundreds of submissions pending and waiting times are getting longer. In parts of my review area things don't move for years.

@NianticGiffard If I have truly hit the end of available submissions after doing maybe 30-40 reviews in a major metropolitan area that is badly throttled in places, why has this never happened before? And why are there people waiting for many months for replies for hundreds of submissions if I've reached the end of what's available (I've reviewed a tiny fraction of these submission)? Why haven't other people who have done more reviewing in my area gotten the same message?

A final question: I'm very prolific reviewer overall, but this has certainly disincentivized me from reviewing even when my four days have elapsed. Do you really want to be alienating the dwindling number of people who do a lot of reviewing?

Same opinion for the final question, even if I am more an average reviewer. Maybe we should organize a strike to let the queue litteraly explode.

• AN0NIM07-PGOAN0NIM07-PGO Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

I'm making a video to prove the 3-4 days of no review is real for those who are still blindly say there's nothing such thing.

Sacrificed the bonus location to Time Square,New York so that no one can say that there's no pending sub in new york to review.

80 hours has crossed with no review. I have taken timestamp video of everyday.

Though I don't know whether my effort to prove something will be successful that is already reported many times to Niantic & the officials also blindly putting up lies.

Let's see, If my effort could turn some of those blind followers to the real observation.