Bad photo?

My most recent rejection gave the reason as:

This nomination has been rejected due to the following reason(s):

Photo is low quality (e.g., pitch black/blurry photos or photos taken from a car), Nomination does not meet acceptance criteria.

If you zoom in really far, the photo isn't super crisp, but I the quality here is equivalent to most I've been reviewing and above many. Am I being too lenient in my reviews? Should I be kicking back more for low quality photos? Is this really considered low quality?

I'm not trying to whine, honestly curious about the expected standards of photos.

Comments

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

If i was to look at this photo alone i have no clue what your trying to nominate. I see a wall and water, if we see the whole nomination it may be easier to understand

• Maxyme99-PGOMaxyme99-PGO Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know what I'm looking at here. What's your photo supposed to show?

You didn't tell us what your nominations is about, but looking at this, it's not really eligible. Someone might choose bad photo to tell you that it doesn't show anything eligible - yes, it's not the best idea, but someone wanted to tell you this, he should choose "Don't met acceptance criteria" like others did.

It's not really about the photo quality (it looks fine as photo) but about it not showing anything eligible. That's all I can think about when I see it. If you would show us your full nomination here (all screenschots with both photos, all descriptions, locations and rejection mail) we could tell you something more. With this photo it looks like it just isn't eligible thing and someone wanted to tell you this using "bad photo" rejection criteira (or it was just a misclick on reason on rejection list).

You must known that if your nomination was rejected by 50 people and 49 choose "Not meet criteria" and only one choose "Bad photo", then you will see both these rejections in your rejection mail, it's how system works. Don't focus on one rejection criteria, focus on thinking why it was rejected in the first place, as many reviewers must had rejected it.

We can help you improve it if you will show us your full nomination :)

• FullFeeder-PGOFullFeeder-PGO Posts: 60 ✭✭

The quality of the photo is fine, but it's too zoomed in, it took me a moment to realize that it is a cascade fountain, try taking the photo again a couple meters further back so it gives reviewers a better grasp at what they're looking, and make sure to mention that is a water fountain in the description.

• ZambiaP-PGOZambiaP-PGO Posts: 16 ✭✭

I didn't realize how the rejections worked. Thank you for the 49 out of 50 explanation. Let me figure out how to post the entire thing...

Rejection (from email): This nomination has been rejected due to the following reason(s):

Photo is low quality (e.g., pitch black/blurry photos or photos taken from a car), Nomination does not meet acceptance criteria.

Here is the cut and paste from my nominations section:

Riverwalk Water Wall

NOT ACCEPTED

UPGRADED

2020-09-20

Description

Unusual water fountain where the water flows down a textured wall into a black marble pool.

[[[My cut-and-paste of this section made an ugly mess, let me see if I can figure out a better way to get the location in]]]

https://www.google.com/maps/place/51%C2%B029'06.8%22N+0%C2%B007'40.0%22W/@51.4852093,-0.1283328,174m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d51.4852085!4d-0.1277856

Terms of Use

Supplemental Information

The graphics on the map view makes it look like this stop is on the roof of the building. It is not. It is on the sidewalk between the building and the riverwalk pathway. It is a sleek water feature that provides a soothing sound as you paas by walking on the river bank.

I'm glad my explanation was helpful :)

Oh, so it's some kind of a fountain :) Then it can be eligible, but you must show it better in your nomination.

As FullFeeder-PGO mentioned, you must make main photo a bit further from it so it will be easier to recognize :)

At first it doesn't look like you has this fountain visible in your support photo. It just looks too different from main photo (colors changed and you see it more fromthe side and not from front so it's hard to compare them). You can always make photo that shown only part of your nomination on it and more area close to it - but you must choose a part of fountain that would be easy recognizable comparing it to main photo.

I would also change support text a bit, explain it's behind the building but map view is made in a way that this building hide all this area behing him, and that fountain is in that hidden area. Add some more info about this fountain if you can too, that would also help.

I looked at map for it and it's not only not visible on map view (as mentioned before, thanks to this building ;) ) but I couldn't found it on streetview at first glance - and I'm pretty sure reviewers get this streetview first rather than map view. When I looked closer on streetview and moved a few meter away I think I saw it, but I was still not sure at first.

On your main photo this fountain looks much lighter than on streetview, and you must move a bit away on streetview to see it. At first glance on streetview you see back of this fountain that looks just like granite wall, so it might be hard for reviewers to see it.

This fountain is placed in a way that the front of it is facing the building and not the promenade for people (where streetview was made), and on your support photo it's also hard to see. Try making better support photo too (a bit closer to fountain and in a bit different angle that will show more promenade on right and fountain on left, like in streetview.

Try also making both photos (main and support) in a way that color of this fountain will look the same on both of them too. On your actual photos fountain in main photo is gray and in some places a bit brownish thanks to much light on it, but on support photo it's pitch black and really dark, even the part that in main photo looks much lighter. It can't be like that, as it's hard to even comapre them.

Also making photosphere in front of this fountain might help, but it must be located very close to pin so people will get photosphere and not streetview. You can also add link to photosphere in support text to be sure reviewers see it :)

I think with these changes it would have much more chance of it being accepted :) Good luck with it :)

Great feedback. It is hampered by the way google maps depicts the nearby building. Explaining that will be tough to capture in the small text space.

What if I changed the title or main description to show it's hard to see. Maybe title it "Hidden Water Wall" and make the description something about how if you follow the sound of the water around the black granite wall, you can see the fountain. Then I could mention that google maps overlays the building on top of it.

The best picture angle would be further away from the river, from inside the garden area, but you have to live in those flats to get access to that area. The public can enjoy the water wall, but not enter the gardens, so I am a bit limited in the angles I can ****.

I'll try again the next time I walk that path if we can get some sunlight here.

• silverkali-INGsilverkali-ING Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

A different photo may be enough to get it through, additional information on the fountain (designer etc) may help too. Try with different exposure times to get more of the water movement in, that may help it look more like a water feature and less like a wall.

I think some changes for title might be a good idea :) I'm not sure with description, but it's worth a try :)

If you can't acces this from the front, I think making the best main photo similar to supporting photo and streetview should be enough. Everything else I think s a good idea :)

Good luck with nominating it again, I hope it will be accepted on next try :)