Feedback on rejected nomination

Hi everyone,

I would like to solicit feedback on why this nomination was rejected:

Title: Tietjens Hall

Description: Featuring the Sachs Electronic Music Studio and a large rehearsal hall, this academic building houses the Department of Music at Washington University in St. Louis.

Supplemental Information: This academic music building has unique cultural and artistic significance to the local community and is eligible according to Niantic’s submission guidelines. The location is pinned accurately and has easy public pedestrian access. Thanks for the review!

One reason was given for the rejection:

"Insufficient evidence that the nomination accurately reflects the submitted real-world location based on comparison of the submitted photo and map views, Nomination does not meet acceptance criteria."

However, this is clearly not true when one examines Google Streetview:

Do you all think that this is just a case of reviewers submitting the wrong rejection reason? Putting the reject reason aside, I do not understand why this nomination would be rejected in general. It has clear cultural and artistic significance to the community and is a named university building. There are POIs like this on virtually every college campus, including this one (i.e. there is strong precedent). I have submitted many nominations like this before and they always pass easily (i.e. community consensus). It has easy pedestrian access and the pin is correct. The primary photo is clear and the supplemental photo even shows the sign in the background so that reviewers can verify that the location is correct. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

You say it has significance, yet you dont explain what significance it has.

You say it meets eligibility but it doesn't.

Its not a great place of exploration

It doesn't promote exercises

And its not a great place to be social.

Its a 1* candidate

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

"This academic music building has unique cultural and artistic significance to the local community and is eligible according to Niantic’s submission guidelines"

This is kind of just substanceless fluff. You have to explain why it had the significance instead of just stating it.

In the supplimental info, try talking about who Tietjens is and why the building was named after them.

Does the rehersal hall also host actual concerts? If so, would be worth noting that.

Look up if there are any notable or important Alums who may have used the building for practice.

Hope this helps!

• Jammelev-PGOJammelev-PGO Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited March 2021

@GearGlider-ING. Thank you for the advice. I agree that my original wording did not specifically explain the building's cultural and artistic significance but this is because I thought it was self-evident. In my mind, the cultural, historical, artistic and/or scientific significance of named university buildings such as these do not need to be spelled out. They are seats of creative innovation and scholarship and hold inherent value to the community in which they are located as well as the wider region. In this case, Tietjens Hall (which has been located here for decades), houses the Department of Music (which promotes musical and artistic scholarship and puts on events for the community) and features unique music studios and creative spaces (e.g. Sachs Electronic Music Studio). I did specifically mention some of these attributes in the description.

I respect your opinion if it is still simply that I need to spell out the significance even more. It's just especially frustrating because the nomination was ostensibly rejected for inaccurate location, which is patently not true. If reviewers cannot bother to submit valid reasoning for rejecting POIs, in my opinion they shouldn't be reviewing.

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Yeah, when it comes to submissions that aren't slam-dunks, you really got to spoon-feed it to some reviewers. I've linked to criteria on the wayfarer site itself and still had stuff rejected. Sometimes upgrading it can help to get a different set of reviewers if it keeps getting rejected un-upgraded, and vice versa.