Pet Waste Stations

Should Pet Waste Stations be Pokestops? They are useful, but not very attractive.

Tagged:

Comments

• SiIverLyra-PGOSiIverLyra-PGO Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course, with enough alt accounts, you can even make pet waste stations into wayspots.

I've posted about one months ago, in a post that was certainly seen by Niantic, as of right now that wayspot still exists.

• WikiBlue-INGWikiBlue-ING Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

A metal waste station made in the shape of dog poop, maybe (just maybe) i could see the fun in accepting such a portal.

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

We got a speed camera as an interactive metal sculpture with light effects as a POI. xD

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

Giffard once answered the exact same thing a while ago bit the discussion got deleted. I think they are mostly only answering on things that should not be POIs to not influence some submissions. At least, thats my feeling.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,535 Ambassador

Pretty sure the last time @NianticCasey-ING commented in "Criteria Clarifications" was in January; @NianticGiffard did in February about a watermark photo.

To be frank, it's my opinion that "clarifications" such as these are actively harming reviewers more than helping. Most clarifications they've given have been pretty straight forward, but reviewers take every post as "The Word of Niantic" and they aren't properly distributed to the whole reviewing community. You'd think they would actively monitor Criteria (and the defunct Guideline) Clarifications pages and actively include common questions to the "published" pages - but this Wayforum has been active for over a year, now, with no effort to provide updates. We have a 6 page discussion thread about private residential property and people arguing over definitions given years ago that we still don't really have a straight answer on.

And let's not forget the "fire hydrant clarification" made.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's why a few time I have commented on a Niantic mod post of this type along the lines of "These things need to be recorded and collated and added to the next AMA / Wayfarer version text so we can find them". NianticCasey did once comment is was "a good idea" but thats about as far as it's progressed. Is there any way we can tag a comment so that they are easy to find and collate / extract rather than trying to find one particular post among thousands?

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,535 Ambassador

We tried urging Niantic to consider that and even tracked some requests.

https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/comment/19024/#Comment_19024

Niantic never acknowledged the thread. Casey posted on different threads promising more criteria updates, made the (unverifiable) "Niantic cares about continuing education about reviewers" (lol so that Casey quote got purged, makes sense), and eventually just deleted all previous clarifications in favor of a "refresh," but still gives us gems like the "plaza clarification" that leads to nominations like these:

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are really a local expert, you should know whether that dog waste bin or that walmart is indeed a community hub. I've lived in communities where the walmart was the local community center (well the McD's in it). Other cultures may have similar cases, where some generic store or shop is actually the community hotspot. We don't want to deny these.

This may be something you want to emphasize when rewriting criteria or reworking the reviewing experience, as rejecting most chain/franchise stores that doesn't have something notable other than "being a community hub" is pretty ingrained into most reviewer's minds. Heck, even local hotspots non-chain/franchise businesses that are community hubs are infamously difficult to get approved.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get wanting to create a conversation about ‘improve this image’ or ‘clarify this text’ with a nomination before accepting, but doing it on the subject of pet waste stations? Part garbage can, part toilet…

• Maxyme99-PGOMaxyme99-PGO Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with SPD85-PGO, getting local people/reviewers is almost impossible in some locations. And I don't even mean locals, like from nearby towns, I mean it's sometimes hard to get reviewers from the same country you're nominating in.

I live near border with 2 different countires. Without upgrade, my nominations might be reviewed by reviewers of 3 different countires, all of them have different language and a bit different culture.

I also get to review nominations from more than 3 different countries (from 3 main countries all the time, and sometimes definetly upgraded nominations from 3-4 another different countries, so I sometimes review nominations from 6-7 different countires in the same day, all of them have different languages and culture).

It's highly possible that I might not understand some of nominations I got to review (I don't mean language, I mean local culture), and could reject something that might be hyper local eligible thing from some small place in another country because I never heard about it. It can also be the same case with some of mine local nominations, they might not be known for reviewers from other countries, and rejected because of that. I always try to do some research about things I might be confused about, but not all of them can be easy to find (the super local things), and some reviewers (I think rather many) don't try to look for aby information about these nominations, they just reject them.

So saying that your local people will know if something is important to local community and will accept it is definetly not true in many locations (like many places in Europe or west Asia, where you can find a few smaller countries that have different languages and are together in the same voting cell). In bigger countries it might not be a big issue, but in smaller ones it's a problem even for not upgraded nominations.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

"This nomination would be good for the community as there are not many stops around here". I see stuff like this far to often in the supprting info box, which suggestes to me that a great many people submitting nominations have no understanding of the criteria at all. THe same could be said for Dog Wast Bin submissions. 1* every time. - "No eligible - not interesting".

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,559 Ambassador

Maybe not at the outset. I am hopeful that experienced reviewers will convince him otherwise, and prompt him to dream up some mechanism/score to assess community significance and other subjective eligibility criteria. It's an interesting dialogue, to be sure.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

It is funny…..but

They did explore the area, boy can it be hard to get some kids out.

The parent missed a great opportunity to actually engage with the significance - there is a good nerd value in postboxes

Where were all the pubs in between …… we have 1 postbox and 9 pubs

If the parent had stuck it out following the trail markers they would have found a walk along the River Mersey and the child would have got bored looking at trees.

In all seriousness I’m not going to start submitting/approving dog poop bins unless there is something highly unusual, educational about it.