I need clarifications about user shadows on the submited picture

Recently i had a debate on reddit about my reviews a of a wayspot i rejected cause the user shadow was on the POI picture.

people pointed to me that it wasn't really in the criteria and they were right what is niantic view on that topic that would really help me review the POI with more Fairness

Thanks in advance.

Tagged:

Comments

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also depends on how much of a shadow we are talking in comparison to the size of the POI.

Smaller POI vs large shadow can result in the POI being blacked out and a poor quality picture. Thats uncommon granted, but ive had personal experiance in trying to get a good pic of a POI without my shadow making the entire picture look awful.

• WikiBlue-INGWikiBlue-ING Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

Most of the time a shadow is no problem, it's not a photo competition after all. User shadow on the ground, next to the poi, should not be a reason for rejects.

If the sun is in your back, their can be a shadow somewhere in the picture frame... but if you wait until the sun is in front of you, it's possible that taking a picture is nearly impossible because of the sun who's directly shining in the lens or reflexting on the poi. Happend more than once that i 'had to use' my shadow to cover the whole (small) poi, because of sun reflection on the object i wanted to sub.

• Pennry-PGOPennry-PGO Posts: 41 ✭✭

Things I look for in shadows: Is it obscuring the object being nominated? If yes, reject for bad picture. Does it appear that they are posing in an abnormal way (other than just holding the phone up)? If yes, reject for possible submitter identifiable.

• KetaSkooter-INGKetaSkooter-ING Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

The submitter is usually trying to get a decent shot of the nomination, sun behind a nomination makes for some really bad photos, so while it would be nice if the submitter tried a different angle its better than some angles.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shadows in the image are not valid grounds to reject a nomination. So long as you can identify the object that is being nominated in the image, the image is acceptable.

• JayLiamgoth-PGOJayLiamgoth-PGO Posts: 30 ✭✭

They might have thought if fell under "user identifiable. I think if you can avoid it, it's best but I have seen some pokistops with people's shadows over the object or reflections in glass so should not be grounds for rejection

• silverkali-INGsilverkali-ING Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

As long as the shadow doesn't make it that you can't see the waypoint, I wouldn't reject.

• pkmnsearch2-PGOpkmnsearch2-PGO Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

i dont see how a shadow in the main photo can 1* a good sub....

maybe if the shadow completely blackout the main photo? that's extreme.