Are campsites now eligible?

In the past I heard, that campsites are not eligible, but what about now?

I think that campsites are good places to meet friends and new people from different locations. Very often, there´s also a lake for swimming, so that place also fits in the criteria of sports. But I´m not sure, what other people think about it.

Answers

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

Still not eligible as far as I know.

• Shirokun3741-PGOShirokun3741-PGO Posts: 13 ✭✭

I think campsites are still not eligible reason being they are considered as natural features

• pkmnsearch2-PGOpkmnsearch2-PGO Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

can someone explain to me how campsites don't fit the criteria?

@LukeAllStars-PGO why aren't they eligible? please explain.

@Shirokun3741-PGO natural feature? are campsites natural formed after million years? /s i dont get it

• PokemonFan2468-PGOPokemonFan2468-PGO Posts: 7 ✭✭

But there are very often places like little cafés or restaurants to stay and places to hang around. And it´s a really huge place.

I´m from Germany so I don´t know, if the campsites in other countrys are similar like this .

Anyway, thanks for your help guys.

• pkmnsearch2-PGOpkmnsearch2-PGO Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

@PokemonFan2468-PGO well, in my country there are areas like that. almost like a business like.

but there are also random places in the woods (normally near a main car road) that are "rustic" campsites. the area don't have grass and there is usually a stone circle for the campfire.

I see no point where it should meet criteria. It's not a great place for exploration, exercise, or being social with others.

Or would you like to explore someone's camping truck?

Objects like playgrounds on campsites are still eligible, the campsite solo wouldn't meet criteria.

I could understand íf they say that the "rustic" campsites are not eligible. But in my opinion the "bigger, business like" ones should be eligible. I hope, that Niantic will clarify this anytime

There not just camping trucks there. In my case, there´s a little beach with benches at a big swimming lake where all people can go to, even if they don´t own a camping truck. A lot of people from the town come here to swim or just to lay in the sun.

Beach, lake -> Natural

Bench -> doesn't meet criteria (as long as its not a special kind of a bench)

• silverkali-INGsilverkali-ING Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

I don't think a campsite as it is would meet criteria (like a hotel doesn't meet criteria just because it's a hotel), but there may be things on the campsite that may be suitable, (sculptures/artwork, notice/info boards etc).

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have submitted camping grounds before with success (pre criteria update). I also had a nice sign for these campsites.

I could see a campsite being a place to be social if you go camping with other friends and such though.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

I'm curious if there's a cultural difference going on. Campsites typically have been great candidates in my opinion. They tend to be in woods or along bodies of water. They connect people to nature and encourage outdoor exploration.

I wouldn't accept "just" a clearing or basic fire pit. I wouldn't accept every individual plot in a campground. I'd probably accept walk-in sites with signage and grills or other permanent objects. I would accept signage for the popular campground or a community center/shelter, and other things like the playground mentioned above.

@PokemonFan2468-PGO do you have any images or examples you can share?

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tbh it would be dependent on the campsite. Obviously if its just a clearing tjat people happen to pitch a tent at, that wouldn't be acceptable to me. But if its an actual campsite with a sign, then i can see the social status, there will also be the exercise side of it (most campsites I know of near me will have walking trails leading off them and some will have archery ranges, pools, football pitches, though they would be eligible on their own)

On the first picture you can see the restaurant/café/pub at the entrance of the campsite.

Than theres a picture of the lake. The houses bellow in the picture can be bought by campers that will stay and "live" here. Above the lake are the small streety and paths for the campers that rent a place for they camping trucks.

And the last two pictures are exaples for one of the small beaches and lakesides with benches and other things near the restaurant/café/pub.

I know that maybe the café thing is eligible but what about the hole place at itself? I think theres a notce or information board at the entrace. Maybe this one could represent the campsite? But the informations on it are changing very often. So this is my problem with this kind of signs. What do you think about this?

• KetaSkooter-INGKetaSkooter-ING Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

All the campgrounds that are part of the park systems in my area are wayspots, they're parks labeled as campground. We do have a lot of private RV campgrounds and very few of those have been approved, and for the most part they're just gravel parking areas. The park system campgrounds have clear signage at the entrance and range from 2-100 campsites inside.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Difficult to say just based on those pictures and without seeing maybe the whole area, but potentially the restaurant/cafe/pub could be eligible, maybe the entrance sign and/or notice board if they all have strong supporting statements.

I don't see anything from the other 3 photos that immediately stand out. For a candidate to be accepted, it generally needs to be something "man-made." A photo of the beach would be rejected as a "natural feature," but if there's a sign you could nominate that. Similarly, if there's a pier or a dock (with adequate pedestrian access and not fully off of land) they could be nominated, or maybe a gazebo or outside covered picnic shelter.