Ski Runs and Slopeside Wayspots

Jagenstein-PGOJagenstein-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited March 2021 in Criteria Clarifications

I've gotten two different nominations for review on ski slopes today and wasn't sure how to rate them. The first was a rest stop by the trees with a carved wooden statue. The second was a sign with the name of the run that commenced at that point. If these were hiking/biking/nordic ski trails it seems clear. With downhill skiing would you consider them to have safe pedestrian access and otherwise treat them like a hiking trail?

Comments

• Jagenstein-PGOJagenstein-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited March 2021
  • ArborAndyYT-PGOArborAndyYT-PGO Posts: 87 ✭✭

I've seen those. I rate 1 star if it's way inside and unreachable during covid and seasonal off-hours. If other stops around it exist, i will 3*. Signs that are roadside or in parking range i will be more lenient

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArborAndy-PGO Unreachable during covid or seasonal off hours is not your concern and nothing that you should thinking about when reviewing.

You also shouldn't be giving something a rating just because other POI's around it exist.

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without seeing the nominations its hard to say, if the run was at a point people can get to safely then I may consider it.

I'd need to see the actual nomination and the placement in context to say yes or no for definite, but I wouldnt instantly give a blanket no to the idea.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

With downhill skiing would you consider them to have safe pedestrian access and otherwise treat them like a hiking trail?

If it appears that the trail is used year round and off the snowy season (I'm not sure if that exists in your area - I've hiked ski slopes in that summer when there is no snow) I would consider them to have safe pedestrian access as they have shared access. If the candidate is part of a "pull off" (as it sounds like there is in the first case) where somebody would have to ski to but could safely stand and dismount without obstructing other skiers, I would also consider it having safely pedestrian access.

In most cases I'm familiar with, I would consider them safely accessible, but if you come across more examples you are welcome to share them.