Rural areas with no sidewalks

Hey everyone. Where I live in Maine there are few sidewalks. State law allows for pedestrians to use the shoulder of the road as a if it were a sidewalk [The law is clarified here: https://www.maine.gov/mdot/bikeped/docs/MainePedestrianLaws.pdf]. I've had a nomination rejected due to pedestrian access because no sidewalk was visible, but the area is regularly used by pedestrians because of the state's law. Do you think it is worth resubmitting and citing this law (and linking to it), or is it standard procedure to only approve roadside nominations that have a visible sidewalk? Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• sophielab-INGsophielab-ING Posts: 266 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You'd have to post a picture for people to give better advice. Rural Maine shouldn't require an upgrade so probably worth a try. I generally used if it has a white strip to donate no parking or was a busy road (think the numbered routes) then it was usually too busy. But the the normal country roads shouldn't. Don't mention anything in the statement about pedestrian access or no sidewalks. I have found reviewers tend to auto reject those immediately.

Answers

Answer ✓

You'd have to post a picture for people to give better advice. Rural Maine shouldn't require an upgrade so probably worth a try. I generally used if it has a white **** to donate no parking or was a busy road (think the numbered routes) then it was usually too busy. But the the normal country roads shouldn't. Don't mention anything in the statement about pedestrian access or no sidewalks. I have found reviewers tend to auto reject those immediately.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Definitely would like to see a picture.

There are a few universal locations that never seem to be okay - the middle of a traffic circle with no visible crosswalk, the side of a busy highway, or the middle of the street.

I have submitted a few things along the sides of a road with no sidewalk where I pointed out that you can safely reach it from an adjacent field (think a park sign).

You can also use your supporting photo very carefully to show the reviewers that there is safe pedestrian access.

• Aeryle88-PGOAeryle88-PGO Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

All things i suggest have no sidewalk. That's in a village in France, and that's not a problem to get them validated.

A sidewalk is not necssary to have a safe pedestrian acces in rural area.

• This is the street. The POI is a sign showing a canoe launch; it is located just past the telephone pole and pull-over across the street.

This is the view from the opposite direction. You can see the signpost next to the telephone pole more clearly here.

The guard rail may be why reviewers are selecting pedestrian access. If there is a sign closer launch itself then that would be a better option.

• Liion9419-PGOLiion9419-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭

Good to know !